UPS with AVR

harty

Hi.
I've recently bought Denon 1611 AVR. The box in which it was packaged, had a warning from the dealer (ProFX), mentioning that warranty is void if used with UPS/Inverter. I talked to the person, who came for installation, and he said it's ok to use it with a sine-wave inverter, but not any other.
Anyone here has any experience on this? Is there a real issue on using the AVR with a simulated sine-wave and not a pure sine-wave?
Any inputs are appreciated.

- Hardik

Hi.
I've recently bought Denon 1611 AVR. The box in which it was packaged, had a warning from the dealer (ProFX), mentioning that warranty is void if used with UPS/Inverter. I talked to the person, who came for installation, and he said it's ok to use it with a sine-wave inverter, but not any other.
Anyone here has any experience on this? Is there a real issue on using the AVR with a simulated sine-wave and not a pure sine-wave?
Any inputs are appreciated.

- Hardik

The output from a sine wave ups is similar to the mains voltage. Hence it is recommended for delicate devices. Using square wave or other quasi sine wave UPS may cause heating issue with the power supply unit.

Any way, how will they know that you used ups/inverter for the avr when you claim for warranty?:rolleyes:

Any kind of UPS is not recommended with AVR. Use a high quality Voltage Stabilizer and a spike guard.

Buddy, not to offend you in any way, but the exact purpose of the discussion is "WHY NOT" ? I along with the OP wants to understand the reason behind the recommendation, primarily because I have a invertor for the entire home and do not have a choice as all lines in the house are connected to the invertor.

Maybe it is all about using pure sine UPS only ? In which case I should be okay.

Any kind of UPS is not recommended with AVR. Use a high quality Voltage Stabilizer and a spike guard.

Buddy, not to offend you in any way, but the exact purpose of the discussion is "WHY NOT" ? I along with the OP wants to understand the reason behind the recommendation, primarily because I have a invertor for the entire home and do not have a choice as all lines in the house are connected to the invertor.

Maybe it is all about using pure sine UPS only ? In which case I should be okay.

I think we should be okay if the AVR is used with a good sine wave inverter. Until recently, even the dominant players like APC was selling only square-wave inverters. But that seems to have changed now.

In any case a square wave inverter is bad for your AVR, because most AVRs have traditional transformer based power supplies. And these transformer cores dont like square-wave.

By the way if the power supply is SMPS based, they are not very picky on the type of waveform. For example, TVs would run perfectly okay with square wave inverter supply.

I am using my Onkyo AVR with a Sukam 1.4kVA sine wave inverter/UPS without any issues for almost 4 years now.

There have a number of threads, some of which are technical in nature, on the pros and cons of using various power stabiliser and conditioning equipment. If you search and read them in detail, you will understand the reasons.

If your whole house is on an inverter, when the power goes off, the best to do would be NOT to use your AV equipment. Inverters are meant for lights and fans.

Cheers

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back