Urgent - Pls Advise on Shipping from US (USPS/FedEx)

soulforged

Hi guys,

I am getting a pair of drivers from Madisound. I have an option of shipping them to India through US Postal Service or FedEx. Which one should I go for? Does one involve less customs hassle than the other?

This is the first time I'm getting a big box shipped, what should I expect from the customs? Is their process smooth?

The shipping rates are almost the same.

:cheers:

Hi guys,

I am getting a pair of drivers from Madisound. I have an option of shipping them to India through US Postal Service or FedEx. Which one should I go for? Does one involve less customs hassle than the other?

This is the first time I'm getting a big box shipped, what should I expect from the customs? Is their process smooth?

The shipping rates are almost the same.

:cheers:

Fedex is much easier, they will clear customs and deliver to your door, plus there is tracking all the way to your door. USPS does not provide tracking to the door but typically to first port of entry which may be Mumbai. After that it depends on a combination of luck/followup/patience
Go for Fedex, in your case its a no brainer

cheers
Sridhar

fedex for sure soul!

customs you'll have delays and then customs slapped. i have had similar amounts come through courier and usps and have had customs slapped on usps shipments which come through the post office. :mad:

thanks guys...its fedex 2 usps 0...

my main priority is hassle free customs and don't mind waiting/paying extra for that...

btw...how much would the customs be for speaker components? On the website it says 10%...

I always send packages out via USPS.

Has worked great for me thus far and i've sent to close to 2 dozen different countries without one failure. Heck, just sent 4 packages out yesterday, one each to japan, UK, Sweden, Canada. I'd just go with USPS Priority International.

thanks sachi...feded 2 usps 1...

how is usps to India? does the indian postal dept handle the shipment once it arrives to our shores or does it go to a private courier company?

the madisound guy also mentioned something about customs being different with these two carriers...didn't quite get that...

Strangely I have never sent anything to India. In my experience, UPS and FEdex take too long to clear at customs and generally i just don't like their service. Higher fees for a slower shipping option.

I think USPS being state owned they have more leeway in getting products out of customs, but then again that's no gaurantee.
So long as there is a packking slip/invoice attached to the case, and the declared value matches with it ( i usually end up putting 30$ for even 400-500$ items some times on request of the buyer.
Clears customs much faster this way.

So no personal experience wth Indian customs, though i don't know why it would be any trouble. I have had stuff sent from India to the US and it gets here fine.So the other way round could be good too

I always send packages out via USPS.

Has worked great for me thus far and i've sent to close to 2 dozen different countries without one failure. Heck, just sent 4 packages out yesterday, one each to japan, UK, Sweden, Canada. I'd just go with USPS Priority International.

the sending is fine but the receiving in india.... :D

soul,

if you do select usps, select the one with the insurance. i think its priority mail and the regular one without insurance is first class international mail. you'll probably have to wait less with fedex ;) at least that's been my experience so far.

regards

Hi Soulforged
If your shipping costs are almost the same, go ahead with Fedex there is no disadvantage that i can think of (especially given what you are importing). With USPS, there is no guaruntee since they only guaruntee till Mumbai (or first port of entry), there is no tracking after that either. With insurance claims, good luck if it gets lost within the country. Fedex/UPS/international courier cos. are very fast in clearing customs in India, really no contest.

cheers

Soulforged..how big are the drivers? dimensions? Weight?

To err on the side of caution i'd say go with fedex UPS.

Last edited:
Soulforged..how big are the drivers? dimensions? Weight?

To err on the side of caution i'd say go with fedex UPS.

They are fostex 8'' drivers (fe206e)...total package would weigh about 8 Kgs...

polls overwhelmingly tilted towards fedex...unless we are in florida :D

I need to confirm by tonight or tomorrow...so we still have time for some debates...

They are fostex 8'' drivers (fe206e)...total package would weigh about 8 Kgs...

polls overwhelmingly tilted towards fedex...unless we are in florida :D

I need to confirm by tonight or tomorrow...so we still have time for some debates...

What are the price quotes that you are getting from USPS and fedex?

Well assuming you can fit it in a flat rate box, USPS shipping would come out to about 50$.
I'd bet Fedex or USPS would be more than twice that.

Last edited:
Definitely Fedex. I was sent some IC's and power cables via USPS. It took me over 2 months to have the package tracked (through a relative who is a post master general - otherwise I would not know where to start - the post office guys wanted me to drive to Mumbai when I lived in Pune to fill in the paperwork), 2 letters, 5 phone calls to get the package - and this after paying customs. Some-time later I got a preamp package via DHL delivered to my office in 7 days and paid customs to the delivery guy - real simple.
USPS will work in US and other developed countries where customs is not a big deal, but in India every frickkin' package from overseas is an opportunity to make money for the government low lifes and to hassle the recepient.
I would recommend fedex even if it cost 20-30% more.
Cheers
Sid

Definitely Fedex. I was sent some IC's and power cables via USPS. It took me over 2 months to have the package tracked (through a relative who is a post master general - otherwise I would not know where to start - the post office guys wanted me to drive to Mumbai when I lived in Pune to fill in the paperwork), 2 letters, 5 phone calls to get the package - and this after paying customs. Some-time later I got a preamp package via DHL delivered to my office in 7 days and paid customs to the delivery guy - real simple.
USPS will work in US and other developed countries where customs is not a big deal, but in India every frickkin' package from overseas is an opportunity to make money for the government low lifes and to hassle the recepient.
I would recommend fedex even if it cost 20-30% more.
Cheers
Sid

lol..wow...yeah definitely Fedex then. Sucks that our country's customs is so messed up.

BTW this happens only when you have items shipped in. OTOH when you fly into Mumbai - I must say that I am very impressed by the way customs is handling passengers - more often than not- if you have only 1 checked in bag - they just let you through even without checking. Almost like the US and Europe where you just walk through with light baggage. The ones that get nailed are those lugging the airlines max allowable limits:eek:hyeah:
Cheers
Sid

I have ordered an Oppo 981 HD on 25th Nov 09, which the seller had shipped from US via USPS on 30th Nov 09, as per the current status on USPS tracking site, "Cleared Foreign Customs - Delhi on 11th Dec 09", when i checked with Foreign Postal department office in Chennai, the current status is "Yet to arrive Chennai Customs check after a week" still not sure whether i will receiver my player intact after being handled by several hundred clerical staffs also a months wait is too long a period, so i am a beeeg "NO" to USPS. :sad:

I don't know if you are aware of this ... but USPS - U.S. postal service does not provide your product tracking once the package leaves U.S. The tracking of the shippment is available as long as the product is within U.S. and once it leaves U.S. there is no way to track it. On the other hand UPS and FedEx both provide upto date information so you always know where your product is and when it will reach you. I have used these services before and option of tacking is always good and USPS doesn't provide this once the product leaves US. Although the product sent through USPS has reached India but you lose track. So even if you end up paying more you should use FedEx or UPS.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back