Urgent suggestion and dealer contact no for 5.1 setup in Kolkata

HDMI 2.0 should be Rs 200 to 300/m, HDMI 2.1 may cost more( hdmi cable are mostly backward compatible if your avr or tv support 2.1 then you can go for it) ( but i did not buy any hdmi cable i have one with my old 4k tv and one with my zappiti media player and those are decoding 4k and atmos fine, my tv does not support dolby vision so never tested), speaker wires i used amazon basic 14awg wire for my right/left/center 3 speakers and 12awg wire from auditro at same price Rs 60/m for my surround and atmos speakers(i have a small room10x12 ft). Sub as well I am using amazon basic rca cables for subwoofer( not invested on other high end cable they are very costly, if i need to repositioning my sub will use a Bluetooth module like svs soundpath wireless adapter later)
alright, so pricing seems fair .... i'll go with the audioquest sub cable since my avr setup ll be in a different room and i have heard in long ditance sub cable quality should be better. And the wire cable he is giving me, he said it's between 16 and 14 gauge and 5000 for 100m, hdmi cable brand i'll confirm with him. I'll ask if he has the brand members are suggesting here.

For the LR , I’d go for Elac 6.2 over the QA as they are better speakers in every respect. Rest all , including AVR and Atmos is fine. But the L- R is the heart of any setup.

This is where the difference in taste & subjectivity comes through I guess, I had auditoned the ELAC B6.2 / QAcoustics 3010i/ Concept 20 for a good hour and found that the Concept 20 was the most refined of the lot (expect the lows which the Concept 20 has very less quantity of), ELAC B6.2 bass seemed to kind of bleed into the mids. All of these were run on a X3600H AVR.
End of the day both are highly rated across the audiophile world , so boils down to what you like I guess.

found that the Concept 20 was the most refined of the lot
I'm getting the 3030i s and it sounded better than the b6.2 s to my ear, but didn't have so much time to play with them.

Btw guys, I'm looking for cheap but decent quality speakers stands now for the fronts, since it'll be used for music as well, so need to be flexible with positioning them properly. Don't want to stack them up against the wall on top of the tv rack.

Get the sound foundation nemesis , they are spoken of highly across the forum. If not , get a custom stand made for now.

This is where the difference in taste & subjectivity comes through I guess, I had auditoned the ELAC B6.2 / QAcoustics 3010i/ Concept 20 for a good hour and found that the Concept 20 was the most refined of the lot (expect the lows which the Concept 20 has very less quantity of), ELAC B6.2 bass seemed to kind of bleed into the mids. All of these were run on a X3600H AVR.
End of the day both are highly rated across the audiophile world , so boils down to what you like I guess.
There you go. You listened to 6.2 on AVR. Did you use Pure Direct ? This is where amp speaker synergy comes in. Elacs are known to sound dull on AVRs especially Denon. Please try listening to them on a higher end (or similarly priced ) Marantz.

What kind of audio/power cables do you guys use in Cal/India? What are some of the very popular brands in your area?
Thanks.

What kind of audio/power cables do you guys use in Cal/India? What are some of the very popular brands in your area?
Thanks.
Hi, electric layout is completely being handled by my interior designing team. I just took over this audio setup process since they were suggesting ceiling mounted speaker and i had to put my foot down and say no. As a matter of fact they are still saying big subwoofer in a room wont go with the aesthetic and all. And i have already bough one piece of Bic pl 200 ii which is monsterous.

So in case i need to pass on any additional msg in terms of electrical that they may overlook, please do tell me.

There you go. You listened to 6.2 on AVR. Did you use Pure Direct ? This is where amp speaker synergy comes in. Elacs are known to sound dull on AVRs especially Denon. Please try listening to them on a higher end (or similarly priced ) Marantz.
Possibly true , but when you are entering into the hobby for a 5.1 you will most likely be looking at getting an AVR and speakers to go along with so personally using an AVR for audition made perfect sense to me :)

yes i have, they only have wharfedale and some other brands i cant remember. Their pricing is .. too put it mildly ... outrageous. Anyway, yes i have and they didnt have klipsch.
hahaha, I know what you mean but you can actually drive a hard bargain with them. They did keep Dyanudio, Triangle and Dali but does not look like are doing so anymore.
Akshay at Auditro is a nice guy but his knowledge of stereo is limited, for HT he is a good person to go to. Vasu Ji at Harmonie Audio is probably the biggest audiophile of them all and a gentleman, a pleasure to do business with.

Akshay at Auditro is a nice guy but his knowledge of stereo is limited, for HT he is a good person to go to. Vasu Ji at Harmonie Audio is probably the biggest audiophile of them all
exactly my observations, in fact i just setup akshay's tidal for his headphone setup that he has at home, he's in this business and knows the business but cant call him an audiophile. I mean the guy asked me whether he should use bluetooth or wired for his headphone to get the best quality from tidal, no one dealing with audio gear should ask this kind of question. This is almost taboo. But nice guy otherwise, very co-operative. But harmonie audio owner is on another level, had my first proper audition with him.

Hi, electric layout is completely being handled by my interior designing team. I just took over this audio setup process since they were suggesting ceiling mounted speaker and i had to put my foot down and say no. As a matter of fact they are still saying big subwoofer in a room wont go with the aesthetic and all. And i have already bough one piece of Bic pl 200 ii which is monsterous.

So in case i need to pass on any additional msg in terms of electrical that they may overlook, please do tell me.
Hello Soumya- I was asking this question keeping two channel stereo set up in my mind. For a multi-channel HT application cable quality is not going to matter as much and your interior designer team would do a good job.
Regarding in wall speakers, I am not a big fan of these speakers. For HT, I would timbre match the front three speakers and invest as much as I could in these speakers. You will find two floorstanding speakers and a matching center channel speaker from many great brands currently available. Yes Klipsch is a moderately good speaker brand for a HT environment. You might try contacting hifi dealers outside Calcutta for Klipsch if there is no one available in Cal.
Now coming to the subwoofer it's an absolute must-have item. One is good and two would be even better. Beside providing you with a chest thumping bass, it is going to help you smooth out the dips and bumps in the frequency response, making it relatively flat, specially in the lower frequency domain. Make sure that you have the placement of the subwoofer correct in the room.
I don't know if you are thinking about any room acoustics but that is another very important aspect of building a pleasing and an enjoyable HT environment.
Thanks.

Soumyajit

So.have you finalised ?

Vasu knows his audio well but he would come into play only if doing 2 channle

There is absolutely no-issue in dealing with Akshay
He is more mass market

You have to.understand
A very small % of buyers are forum members
Who have done research

For others Akshay would be more than sufficient
For audio related advice the forum Is always there

If you are doing HT I would suggest pick the person who I know would support me if something went wrong with the equipment down the line .

Your choice of QA is not bad for your purpose
It may not be the best for 2 channel

But since you are looking to buy your setup whole and outright I understand budget constraints
In which case what you have shortlisted is great

Do take whatever advice you get here with a pinch of salt
Having confidence in yourself when buying equipment is important
Otherwise you will be down the " upgrade "
Rabbit hole forever

P.S
Do not spend more on Atmos or surrounds

Spend well for the amplifier
I personally like non ported subs
When buying a sub do keep in mind that younwould.be listening to it for longer durations at your home than in the audition

Double P.S
The setup will.never sound the same at your home as it sounds during audition
Hence I tell many friends
DO not go OCD when choosing audio ( specially if you are not a critical listner )

Last edited:
Very good advice from Audiophool I must say, cant think of adding much to it.

The upgrade rabbit hole unfortunately comes to swallow us all, there is no getting away from it!

There is absolutely no-issue in dealing with Akshay
yes ofc not, in fact i went ahead with him only.
It may not be the best for 2 channel
it's not a 2ch setup only, it's a 5.1.2 setup but ll be used for both movies and music. For music i'm still confused what's the best way to setup the receiver. Pure direct mode or just use it normally multi channel. Is there any way to make the sub be used as well in pure direct mode?
But since you are looking to buy your setup whole and outright I understand budget constraints
yes, since i'm making two rooms, there's 12 speakers to account for and 2 receiver along with wires and other accessories. Need to get a 65incl oled as well. That's the max i could stretch.
Otherwise you will be down the " upgrade "
definitely not in next 3-4 years at least.
Spend well for the amplifier
i'm getting x2700h for the movie room. Would have loved to get marantz but it'll be another 40k-50k, didn't seem to be worth it.

and yamaha n303 for the living room to drive 4 ceiling speakers.
I personally like non ported subs
Already got the BIC pl200 ii, it's a decent sized room so went for more power. SVS or rythmik would have been another 20-30k.
DO not go OCD when choosing audio ( specially if you are not a critical listner )
OOPS!!!

Regarding in wall speakers, I am not a big fan of these speakers. For HT, I would timbre match the front three speakers and invest as much as I could in these speakers. You will find two floorstanding speakers and a matching center channel speaker from many great brands currently available.
Didn't select any wall speakers, i'll be using the 3010i s more side/rear surrounds on the wall. Got the 3030i fronts and matching 3090ci for center. In fact my ceiling atmos are also from q acoustic only so i think it'll be matched well.
sounds good to me.
Now coming to the subwoofer it's an absolute must-have item.
got the bic pl200ii for now, ll add one later if i feel like. let's see. for the placement I'm thinking of placing it in between two bookshelf stands more on the right. Don't think subwoofer crawl ll be possible for me.
don't know if you are thinking about any room acoustics but that is another very important aspect of building a pleasing and an enjoyable HT environment.
for room treatment, i'm installing two full wall thick drapes on both left and right side. Don't know whether i'll be allowed to place a carpet between the tv and the sofa as from the room design u can see all that's is already decided.

Very good advice from Audiophool I must say, cant think of adding much to it.

The upgrade rabbit hole unfortunately comes to swallow us all, there is no getting away from it!
Completely agree.. almost a year with my setup with nad t758v3 avr, dali oberon5.1 speakers+alteco Atmos, still I think I have scope of improvement..and need to upgrade my two channel listing, room acoustic, more Atmos channels and full Dirac room correction setup and its goes on ..it's like never ending....

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back