use of french upvc door in HT Room

geetlahari

Hi Gurus.

I am planning for a HT room in my new flat, dimensions are 14'.6" x 11' . Its a small room so I am going for 40" sony FULL HD LCD TV. Opp wall to TV where the seats are there, I am planning to have french UPVC door that leads to private balcony, where we can spend time in the evenings.

I would like to know whether its ok to have a UPVC door? does it have any bad effect for sound? ceiling I am going for amstrong tiles, flooring with carpet. walls I am not sure what to use, any ideas?

Thanks

Hari

Sturdy

A wooden door is better but more sturdy is required then normal doors while other things have to be worked out.

V.

Last edited:
Basic Treatment

Hello Hari,

I think you can have the type of door you want, so no need for a better wooden door.

In view to your room size and video source, maybe you do not have to go for wall to wall carpet or Armstrong celing tiles, this becomes all the more likely if you are not using tower speakers or 5.1 or not being a dedicated room more movies or music.

I think you can go for very basic acoustic and have as much as possible soft items in the room.

V.

Hi

Thanx for the reply, I yalready have a yamaha HTR 6230 receiver with front tower speakers NS 8390, satelite NS P60, all are yamaha. I am planning to take a woofer aswell, wt woofer wud b good for my room size?

so with the above sound system & 40" FUll HD sony LCD, with panasonic blue ray dvd player: if I want a dedicted HT room is it ok to go with the UPVC door on back of sofa? And wt other precautions I need to take care, so shall I go for carpet, celing tiles, any wall acoustics etc?

I am looking for a dedicated room, where its having a balcony-for private parties etc :)

Thanks
Hari Reddy

Hi,

UPVC doors are better than wooden doors in reduction of outside noise. So, if your idea is to cut off outside noise (traffic etc) from the home theatre room, UPVC doors are the way to go. They also withstand the effect of rain better than wooden doors.

Arvind

Movie Room

Well further to suggestion from arvind, your room dimensions are good and i think it can absorb 42/50" television, i have heard that a 50" will give better quality for HD then a 40" television. Since you want to have a dedicated room for movies then how about being more dynamic, instead of buying a television, how about buying only the display screen (if available), that way there will be no opportunity to watch television programmes and a better respect to your dedicated movie room.

If you are going to consider the above steps and if you have a reputation to watch around 3 movies a week, then you can even consider acoustics, carpet, ceiling tiles, there will be several options which other members will also take you through.

It is good that you are considering to complete the 5.1, sure a sub woofer (SW) is fine in your room size, in-fact for a good movie experience a SW is must.

If you can rough draw the room and show us, then better ideas can be discussed.

For going to balcony, if you have to cross this dedicated room and if there are regular parties then would the room interiors not get hampered and moreover many of them will be sitting in this room instead of balcony, is that alright?

Since the room is raw, you will get great opportunities to make a better movie room.

V.

Last edited:
Hi,

UPVC doors are better than wooden doors in reduction of outside noise. So, if your idea is to cut off outside noise (traffic etc) from the home theatre room, UPVC doors are the way to go. They also withstand the effect of rain better than wooden doors.

Arvind

A double walled glass in the door will reduce noise and not the frame material which is UPVC. Also as UPVC frames are hollow explore options to fill with liquid PUF to make it solid.

A double walled glass in the door will reduce noise and not the frame material which is UPVC. Also as UPVC frames are hollow explore options to fill with liquid PUF to make it solid.

Sure, double glazing (with an air gap in between) will help in sound reduction but rubber gaskets/ beadings are used in UPVC doors to ensure we get a "gap-free" fit & finish and that ensures noise doesn't come through or go out. I have seen this practically in my close friend's house. Wooden doors are normally not finished that well & results in air gaps which allow sound to escape

Arvind

Sound travels thro glass hence the vacuum between double wall prevents it. All the EPDM gaskets you see on the windows/doors is more to get a tight fit and prevent gaps and give thermal insulation.The EPDM gasket is also available in a self adhesive roll form. You can use this on wooden doors and windows to make it dust proof and add thermal insulation . Your Air-conditioner will be more efficient as your old wooden doors and windows can be completely sealed.
Yes agreed that it provides sound insulation but only at the areas of application at the edges of the glass.

Hi all

sry for late reply,

yeah!!! so I am going for UPVC door as per ur suggestions.

vinay as u said v vl use the room only for watching movies & also HD channels like NGC & discovery, as the 5.1 output is amazing in these ch's. In living room there will be another tv for watching other channels.

I am wondering what other precautions I need to take care to get the proper sound acoustics. I have read few threads here where experts are suggesting to use diffusers/absorbers etc. I am not sure abt these..wr to use etc.

I am attaching the room dimensions pic. The way leading to balcony there is a window & a door, those 2 vl b removed & a UPVC door will be kept. TV will be on opp side.

Attachments

• HT Room dimensions.jpg
    HT Room dimensions.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 51
The Plan

I actually do not know much about the door you are talking about, since you have taken a call, i hope other members can come in and say if the type of door is alright or no.

Well if you can stick to only those 2 hd channels or bare minimum in the movie room then sure it is great but it is rare to stick this way, slowly one will indulge in watching other routine channels also, and this is where the abuse of a movie room begins and such adverse is likely to grow thereafter.

About acoustics there are other members who can throw better light or see the threads on acoustics and somewhere in the threads i also have written how i did it. One has to avoid wooden flooring any glass or hard items, softer items are better.

I think you should close the balcony that way you will get a better room length, you are lucky that you are getting the opportunity to increase the room length, please consider respecting this great factor coming in your way. About the parties, you can always have it in some other area of your house, this way your room is much more protected from visitors.

It seems you are considering to remove the windows? If yes then please accept my congratulations in being so brave.

V.

Last edited:
hi

yes I am replacing the wooden window & door with UPVC french door. I wud love to increase the room size but I cant do that, as its a flat & builder has put some constraints on it.

so max length I wud get is 14'.6", after all the placements it mite come to 13'.5".

ceilings do i need to put any amstrong tiles or just false ceiling will do?

Thnx

Flooring I am going for thick carpet, can any one suggest me on walls, wt are absorbers/diffusers? wr to place them?

can any1 plz see my room picture & suggest me

Thnx
Hari

Accoustics - Carpet - Room Length - Halogen Lights

Hello Hari,

It is very good that you are going for the carpet, tell the installers to put a white sheet below it, they know what this is.

About absorbers and related, there are forum members who know a lot on this, you will hear from them sooner then later.

Actually what i was saying is that no windows at all, like in a theatre there are no windows and same is the case with many leading home theatre's. About constraints of closing the balcony being difficult, there could be ways out, like how i found a solution to do away with my huge windows.

About ceiling tiles i have used acoustic type of tiles by Armstrong, but there are other members who have used other options, they will write to you so that you can decide. A usual false ceiling will not do, in-fact you can also do away with the acoustic ceiling and instead have the treatment done on the walls. However if you need a theatre type of effect then you need to have halogen lights and for that acoustic tiles will be better, you will kill 2 birds with one stone.

V.

Last edited:
hi gurus..

now a new thought is induced by sonthol...I am going for a HT projector instead of a LCD TV.

can you plz suggest few good projectors, wt features i need to see, etc. I will source it from USA. Also any ceiling precautions need to be taken care if v r using projector.

-Hari

Nothing To Worry

Hello Hari,

Well for using the projector you will require a better room length but if you are willing to compromise then there are several of them discussed in a few threads please have a look at them or you can also consider Epson 8350.

In reference to ceiling there is nothing that calls for something extra in installing the projector, so there will be nothing to worry.

V.

hi gurus..

now a new thought is induced by sonthol...I am going for a HT projector instead of a LCD TV.

can you plz suggest few good projectors, wt features i need to see, etc. I will source it from USA. Also any ceiling precautions need to be taken care if v r using projector.

-Hari
Hari, don't go by what I said. Do some basic online reading on projectors, what to look for etc so you can ask the right questions here and then make a decision.

If you have decided already, you need to tell us your budget for a projector. They start around 900$ and then sky is the limit:). Get a 1080p projector for your room size so you can use a large screen (around 85 inches and costs around 10 to 15k depending on the brand, size etc).

Room Length - Majorty Wins

Well hari according to me your sitting length of 11/12 feet is not sufficient even if you use a 1080P, but then there are several members who are using a bigger screen for room length of 15 feet and less, so you can also consider to follow the respective wave, my school of thought is getting simpler, majority wins.

In my case i am having a 23 feet room length with a 82" screen, still i always say that wish i had a 26 feet length.

V.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back