Using bookshelf speakers as cieling speakers in a Dolby atmos 7.1.4 setup.

elbirko

Hello does anyone know if mounting bookshelf speakers as overhead cieling speakers upside down aimed at listening position is a bad idea. this is due to my current bracket cieling space constraints would it be detrimental to the sound placement in the individual speakers. For example the speaker being upside down wouldn't it mean the sound say would normally start at bottom left and pan up to top right wouldn't it be panning the opposite way becuase the speakers upside down. There seems to be a lot of forums that suggest it's ok to have speakers upside down but I think there wrong unless my understanding is flawed. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello does anyone know if mounting bookshelf speakers as overhead cieling speakers upside down aimed at listening position is a bad idea. this is due to my current bracket cieling space constraints would it be detrimental to the sound placement in the individual speakers. For example the speaker being upside down wouldn't it mean the sound say would normally start at bottom left and pan up to top right wouldn't it be panning the opposite way becuase the speakers upside down. There seems to be a lot of forums that suggest it's ok to have speakers upside down but I think there wrong unless my understanding is flawed. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

It works in most cases provided the speakers are mounted properly, you dont want them to fall on you due to poor fastening.

Which speakers are these? Perhaps some photos of the ceiling area and the speakers to be mounted can be shared by you then one of us / some of us can suggest accordingly.

It's not a bad idea, provided the speakers are okay with being positioned close to a wall boundary (alternatively, you can cut off the low frequencies from the AVR). Genelec does it in their full SAM experience centers.

It should be fine in my opinion, however there could be a little bit of issue with the BS being placed too close to the wall hence the bass port being choked. Also it may be a bit difficult to get them to sit right - given the weight.

I would suggest something like these -

or

These are small - come with their own wall mounting bracket and perform well. I have these installed as Atmos speakers. You can find them on ebay for much cheaper.

I am also setting up 7.1.4. At present I have 7 base channels only. Atmos has special requirement of mounting speakers (Angle, distance). What I have heard is that speakers should be pointed towards the listener.

Yes, you can mount BS speakers using wall brackets with long arm.

You can also use something like these speakers, these speakers are already angled, so you won't have to angle them. There are brands who make angled atmos speakers.

Hope this helps.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back