Ever Played a Dolby Atmos Movie with all but overhead speakers muted?

In Movies like Mad Max (opening scene, post the audio on the blank screen with text), no difference. In something like Doctor Sleep..or Jupiter Ascending..a big difference...I even got a new copy of MadMax..still found no much difference
U may need to check it once again for Madmax..I remember the girl dialogue "where r u" comes from height channels too..also when the first chase scene "u will feel like that Chasing Cars & bikes is jumping over your head from the rears".
Once again I will also check.

U may need to check it once again for Madmax..I remember the girl dialogue "where r u" comes from height channels too..also when the first chase scene "u will feel like that Chasing Cars & bikes is jumping over your head from the rears".
Once again I will also check.
Yes, as mentioned, The dialogue at the start when there is text on the screen..i did observe.. but that would not make this such a reference mix..if you find any other good scene from your testing.. pls update here with the timestamp. Thanks

I think that the height channels make a difference. Not just in ATMOS encoded movies but also when the receiver is doing the upmixing to height channels. I just installed (albeit in the worst possible way) front height speakers. Now my entire front sound signature has changed for the better, not just for Auro 3D but also for DTS-X and ATMOS.

I have been using the 7.1.4 speaker configuration for movie watching for the last one year. I have played native Dolby Atmos, DTS-X tracks and also have used the Dolby up mixer and DTS-neural up mixer on a regular basis. I have found the experience to be much better than from my old 7.1 speaker configuration. I think we should look at the overall experience of the sound bubble created by the overhead speakers than looking at how much are the overhead speakers engaged or contributing.

my 2 cents

I have been using the 7.1.4 speaker configuration for movie watching for the last one year. I have played native Dolby Atmos, DTS-X tracks and also have used the Dolby up mixer and DTS-neural up mixer on a regular basis. I have found the experience to be much better than from my old 7.1 speaker configuration. I think we should look at the overall experience of the sound bubble created by the overhead speakers than looking at how much are the overhead speakers engaged or contributing.

my 2 cents
Again, for the last time, lets not really confuse my point, I did not say Atmos is not good. I simply said, for the reference/go-to material, primarily Mad Max (or BvS), I did not find the overhead speakers to add much value, in the quick fast seek of the movie. Happy for someone to change my mind with a time stamp.

Lets not talk about upmixers..

Again, for the last time, lets not really confuse my point, I did not say Atmos is not good. I simply said, for the reference/go-to material, primarily Mad Max (or BvS), I did not find the overhead speakers to add much value, in the quick fast seek of the movie. Happy for someone to change my mind with a time stamp.

hahahahah :D
seems like u pulled wrong string bro:p .....
just kidding
cheers

U explaining samething and people ask samething again and again

Madmax is a reference Audio material the first 3 minutes itself shows that.
It creates required ambience, overhead effects etc ,almost all channels are engaged .I run Atmos 7.1.4 & Auro3d 10.1 with dual subs .
Please check it out.

There is an another scene u can check in Avengers Endgame opening scene which is also reference material.Do check out and let us know what u have observed.

Madmax is a reference Audio material the first 3 minutes itself shows that.
It creates required ambience, overhead effects etc ,almost all channels are engaged .I run Atmos 7.1.4 & Auro3d 10.1 with dual subs .
Please check it out.

There is an another scene u can check in Avengers Endgame opening scene which is also reference material.Do check out and let us know what u have observed.
Coincidentally I happened to check Avengers..and yes, can say this was really well implemented and pretty frequent overhead effects.

my 2 cents
Could you please quote some go-to scenes where you feel height channels are adding a lot to the experience?

Check out the Ford vs Ferrari movie and in that, listen to the Flight landing scene by Shelby. It is one of the best scene to test the Overhead speakers and the Subwoofers. In my house, every time I play that scene, it gives me goosebumps. I feel like a real plane flying pass above my head. Infact that is one of the scenes I play to my friends for demo besides the WWZ Grenade scene, Aquaman, Edge of Tomorrow and Godzilla (final part).

Could you please quote some go-to scenes where you feel height channels are adding a lot to the experience?
Based on my testing with Avengers End Game last night, here are some time stamps 00:17:00 / 2:02:40 / 2:25:25. These are Loud and prominent effects. Play for a min or 2 after the time mentioned above

I have generally found the Atmos channels to be underwhelming. The DTS Neural up mix is slightly better. I prefer to think my ceiling speaker alignment is perhaps off, but as someone has mentioned, the mix on these channels are simply not good enough. Or, I need speakers with a very wide angle of diffusion (I am using re-purposed bookshelf speakers). I remember the days when we moved from DD 5.1 to Dolby TrueHD. The difference was astonishing! Sadly, the same cannot be said about the current sound format for overhead channels.

Check out the Ford vs Ferrari movie and in that, listen to the Flight landing scene by Shelby. It is one of the best scene to test the Overhead speakers and the Subwoofers. In my house, every time I play that scene, it gives me goosebumps. I feel like a real plane flying pass above my head. Infact that is one of the scenes I play to my friends for demo besides the WWZ Grenade scene, Aquaman, Edge of Tomorrow and Godzilla (final part).
Yes it's a fantastic one. Check 10 cloverfield lane climax ,u feel that alien creature walking/ running on the roof.

Shall be posting tonight about my quick experience after adding the front height speakers "svs prime elevation". Just installed today and am testing a lot of scenes and combinations

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back