Ever Played a Dolby Atmos Movie with all but overhead speakers muted?

Shall be posting tonight about my quick experience after adding the front height speakers "svs prime elevation". Just installed today and am testing a lot of scenes and combinations
Congrats! Please do share any scenes/timestamps you feel are great. Also, do try the step that I do, mute (via phone/tab app) all but the heights and reply the scene to see how it sounds.

Congrats! Please do share any scenes/timestamps you feel are great. Also, do try the step that I do, mute (via phone/tab app) all but the heights and reply the scene to see how it sounds.
Thanks :) , brought the elevations from @Smo and they came in great condition.

Yes I did exactly this, I muted (disconnected) all channels except the Top Middle and Front height.
Tried tons of scenes on Netflix and also from my downloaded atmos files using Shield.

I could spare only an hour after installation to do this testing and below are my quick views. I will test more throughly this week.

1. First off, I had to install the DTS app in Xbox to switch to bitstream out with "DTS X" over HDMI . First time using Dolby, I had to install Dolby App same way. Not sure why after closing bitstream out, why Xbox also push you to chose the codec/format.

2. Quickly tried a scene of Hovercraft landing and flying away from Hunger Games Mockingjay 1 (played Shield TV from downloaded MKV) and I realised using DTS X did not give me almost any output to height channels. Dolby Atmos did what was expected. Its a very popular scene where you could hear the Hovercraft going up from surrounds to top channel and then fading far away into left Height channel. Dolby Atmos did great actually!

With only the Top Middle Channels earlier in my 7.2.2, the effect of Hovercraft flying away was missing. With Front height channels added ... the impact was really impressive.

3. With above test and few more scenes using Xbox (netflix) and Shield (MKVs) I could easily deduce that Atmos is giving better result in my setup as against DTS-X ... go figure :-/

4. It was easy to understand why adding height channels fill up room quickly, there is so much of "background" music going on in most of titles that these height channel play along with L&R too ... it just makes the room full. Thats probably not the purpose of adding height channels but definitely a side benefit until we get to see a quality content to get height channels in real action.

5. Levels of sound coming from the height channels specially front height could be a challenge. Its butchered a lot at least while streaming. Definitely you need to pump 3db extra after Audessey or level matching.

6. Few more scenes that I tried and would be happy if other FMs try too and tell the experience of height channels.

- Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1 at 43.00 . The aircraft leaving shot
- Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1 at 48.32 and 48.58, The debris fall from overhead after blasts. Very powerful effect.
- 6 underground on Netflix at 34.30, the jets fly very loudly overhead and pan from middle to front height and then again return back from Front height left channel to pan to rear. Lot of other overhead aircraft moment around this scene.
- Extraction on Netflix, it has lot of effects and continuous engagement of height channels. One strong effect is at 34.30 the helicopter fly overhead and pan from front top channels.
- Our planet on Netflix at 1.57, Birds chirping in the sky ... very small clip but good to confirm that streaming Atmos on Netflix could give such effects.

I will be finding and trying more scenes this week, my idea is to test
1. Atmos v/s DTS X v/s Auro 3D
2. Height effects using MKVs and Streaming, I plan to try same scene from some Movie.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Yes I did exactly this, I muted (disconnected) all channels except the Top Middle and Front height.
Tried tons of scenes on Netflix and also from my downloaded atmos files using Shield.

I could spare only an hour after installation to do this testing and below are my quick views. I will test more throughly this week.

1. First off, I had to install the DTS app in Xbox to switch to bitstream out with "DTS X" over HDMI . First time using Dolby, I had to install Dolby App same way. Not sure why after closing bitstream out, why Xbox also push you to chose the codec/format.

2. Quickly tried a scene of Hovercraft landing and flying away from Hunger Games Mockingjay 1 (played Shield TV from downloaded MKV) and I realised using DTS X did not give me almost any output to height channels. Dolby Atmos did what was expected. Its a very popular scene where you could hear the Hovercraft going up from surrounds to top channel and then fading far away into left Height channel. Dolby Atmos did great actually!

With only the Top Middle Channels earlier in my 7.2.2, the effect of Hovercraft flying away was missing. With Front height channels added ... the impact was really impressive.

3. With above test and few more scenes using Xbox (netflix) and Shield (MKVs) I could easily deduce that Atmos is giving better result in my setup as against DTS-X ... go figure :-/

4. It was easy to understand why adding height channels fill up room quickly, there is so much of "background" music going on in most of titles that these height channel play along with L&R too ... it just makes the room full. Thats probably not the purpose of adding height channels but definitely a side benefit until we get to see a quality content to get height channels in real action.

5. Levels of sound coming from the height channels specially front height could be a challenge. Its butchered a lot at least while streaming. Definitely you need to pump 3db extra after Audessey or level matching.

6. Few more scenes that I tried and would be happy if other FMs try too and tell the experience of height channels.

- Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1 at 48.32 and 48.58, The debris fall from overhead after blasts. Very powerful effect.
- 6 underground on Netflix at 34.30, the jets fly very loudly overhead and pan from middle to front height and then again return back from Front height left channel to pan to rear. Lot of other overhead aircraft moment around this scene.
- Extraction on Netflix, it has lot of effects and continuous engagement of height channels. One strong effect is at 34.30 the helicopter fly overhead and pan from front top channels.
- Our planet on Netflix at 1.57, Birds chirping in the sky ... very small clip but good to confirm that streaming Atmos on Netflix could give such effects.

2. Height effects using MKVs and Streaming, I plan to try same scene from some Movie.

Just tested the 6 Underground timestamp, good panning with the overhead jets!

R u talking about upmixers here .Dolby Atmos & Dts X will not be available for same movie.
Auro 3d or Auromatic upmixers will function good only in case if u have installed speakers as per universal layout ( Front & Rear heights) suggested by Denon & Marantz.

R u talking about upmixers here .Dolby Atmos & Dts X will not be available for same movie.
Auro 3d or Auromatic upmixers will function good only in case if u have installed speakers as per universal layout ( Front & Rear heights) suggested by Denon & Marantz.
Was a bit confused by this statement too. Needless to say, but, do ensure the signal reaching the AVR is native DD or DTS object based format and have the same listening mode on the AVR (As mentioned, I dont think you can play an Atmos mix in DTS:X. If you're not bitstreaming, then I believe this might be possible

The point of this thread was not to say im disappointed with Atmos, but more to say that the Mad Max's of the world are not really that great and the stuff that most people rave about is more likely placebo.

Okay. Guess I was confused when you specifically said that you'd turned everything off except the overheads. I understand the urge to do that, but the true test (IMO) is a DD 5.1/7.1 playback vs Atmos playback for the same title. If the latter is much better for MadMax, what does it really matter how much sound is coming from the overheads? If there's no difference when you do this test, then your experience flies in the face of (seemingly) plenty of other enthusiasts'. Make of that what you will.

Okay. Guess I was confused when you specifically said that you'd turned everything off except the overheads. I understand the urge to do that, but the true test (IMO) is a DD 5.1/7.1 playback vs Atmos playback for the same title. If the latter is much better for MadMax, what does it really matter how much sound is coming from the overheads? If there's no difference when you do this test, then your experience flies in the face of (seemingly) plenty of other enthusiasts'. Make of that what you will.
Don't the Atmos effects downmix/merge with the surrounds/other channels if the stream or AVR is limited to 5.1./7.1? If yes, how will the test you suggested prove anything?

Netflix titles I mentioned are Atmos, Hunger Games I played from MKV was 5.1 and upmixed.

I should have mentioned this earlier.

Auro is already thing if past I believe.

Last edited:
My take on MadMax first three minutes of playing on Prime app

There is enough general and dedicated content for the height channels, they often get engaged. Since prime streaming is not something to vouch for .. all I expected was engagement of height speakers via upmixing.

This is one title I will compare ones I get hold of MKV

My take on MadMax first three minutes of playing on Prime app

There is enough general and dedicated content for the height channels, they often get engaged. Since prime streaming is not something to vouch for .. all I expected was engagement of height speakers via upmixing.

This is one title I will compare ones I get hold of MKV
I replayed MM last night..in the first scene its the voices at the very start, the buggy flying over and the engine in the first few mins. But some of the vehicle chase / battle scenes were a bit of a let down, only thing that sounded prominent was the fire coming out of the guys guitar!

I replayed MM last night..in the first scene its the voices at the very start, the buggy flying over and the engine in the first few mins. But some of the vehicle chase / battle scenes were a bit of a let down, only thing that sounded prominent was the fire coming out of the guys guitar!
MKV?

Don't the Atmos effects downmix/merge with the surrounds/other channels if the stream or AVR is limited to 5.1./7.1?

AIUI, the 7.1 soundtrack has all the sounds (including the objects). The difference with the Atmos soundtrack is that the "object" sounds in the 7.1 track that have necessarily be constrained to 7 channels can now be rendered in 3D space (subject to your speaker configuration, of course).

If yes, how will the test you suggested prove anything?

You had either 5.1 or 7.1 playback capability before. Now, you have Atmos playback. The test I'm suggesting is a direct comparison between the two.

You're testing what the overheads are playing back in isolation. I'm suggesting that you test what Atmos gives you relative to what you had before.

Netflix titles I mentioned are Atmos, Hunger Games I played from MKV was 5.1 and upmixed.

I should have mentioned this earlier.

Auro is already thing if past I believe.
Ok got it,u have done only DSU & dts Neural X upmixing. Auro3d sadly contents are very very few..but Auromatic upmixer is strikingly impressive.

AIUI, the 7.1 soundtrack has all the sounds (including the objects). The difference with the Atmos soundtrack is that the "object" sounds in the 7.1 track that have necessarily be constrained to 7 channels can now be rendered in 3D space (subject to your speaker configuration, of course).

You had either 5.1 or 7.1 playback capability before. Now, you have Atmos playback. The test I'm suggesting is a direct comparison between the two.

You're testing what the overheads are playing back in isolation. I'm suggesting that you test what Atmos gives you relative to what you had before.
Yes we need to see the final output as a whole ,not just only overhead effects.

I doubt ,the first 3 min provides enough immersion.Not only overhead effects.
Could u post ur speaker layout and it angles ( with photos)
Also incase if ur speakers have phase issues with subs then the details may not be clear . Please check out.

Yes we need to see the final output as a whole ,not just only overhead effects.
But if, in isolation, Overhead channels are dead, what difference is it going to make if I play them alongside the other channels? And if someone says who cares where an effect is coming from as long as it gives you the effect is not a very satisfactory answer, why have overheads if that's possible from other speakers?

I do hope this comment does not (again) get interpreted as me saying "Atmos is not good", it is, but only when implemented correctly and effeciently.

I doubt ,the first 3 min provides enough immersion.Not only overhead effects.
Could u post ur speaker layout and it angles ( with photos)
Also incase if ur speakers have phase issues with subs then the details may not be clear . Please check out.
Sir, sure, I could do that. First 3 mins, immersion, yes, tonnes of overhead effects? Not really.

If you're interested, I recommend you watch one of the car chase scenes in MM and mute all the speakers (except Atmos) and tell me how much you hear vs how much scope there is for more.

But if, in isolation, Overhead channels are dead, what difference is it going to make if I play them alongside the other channels? And if someone says who cares where an effect is coming from as long as it gives you the effect is not a very satisfactory answer, why have overheads if that's possible from other speakers?

I do hope this comment does not (again) get interpreted as me saying "Atmos is not good", it is, but only when implemented correctly and effeciently.
It's not only about overhead effects.Imagine when a bees or flies is flying in the scene, these are considered as objects ,and these metadatas are available in the Atmos/dts X mixes.
Based on the requirements,the sound mixing can be done. U can hear the bee is buzzing around ur ear levels too.
Some of the example of well implementation is.
Fantastic beasts and where to find them:
Scene-When Newt & Jacob goes inside the magical suitcase ,Jacob sees many creatures ,u can feel many creatures flying and filled inside ur room ,when the insects like flies flying from the trees ,it will entirely fill the room and gets wrap-up inside a bubble ( u may need to watch this) also when he feeds the mooncalf with some seeds kind of food it will be like the seeds ( and it's sound) will be floating.
Blade runner 2049:
Bees scene.U room gets filled up with bees sound.

Only problem is how well the sound is designed , mixed and implemented.
Many of movies gets Atmos sound mix ,but the sound mix might not be well made .
Example: Spiderman Far from home movie -dtshdma sound track is better than Atmos here.

It's not only about overhead effects.Imagine when a bees or flies is flying in the scene, these are considered as objects ,and these metadatas are available in the Atmos/dts X mixes.
Based on the requirements,the sound mixing can be done. U can hear the bee is buzzing around ur ear levels too.
Some of the example of well implementation is.
Fantastic beasts and where to find them:
Scene-When Newt & Jacob goes inside the magical suitcase ,Jacob sees many creatures ,u can feel many creatures flying and filled inside ur room ,when the insects like flies flying from the trees ,it will entirely fill the room and gets wrap-up inside a bubble ( u may need to watch this) also when he feeds the mooncalf with some seeds kind of food it will be like the seeds ( and it's sound) will be floating.
Blade runner 2049:
Bees scene.U room gets filled up with bees sound.

Only problem is how well the sound is designed , mixed and implemented.
Many of movies gets Atmos sound mix ,but the sound mix might not be well made .
Example: Spiderman Far from home movie -dtshdma sound track is better than Atmos here.
Thanks for the reference points. I tried Spider-Man Homecoming last night, pretty nice overhead effects experienced. Will check out fantastic beasts, part 1 or 2?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back