Very low sound at even high volumes with my new Denon AVR

ghelaniamit

Hi all,

After quite a few auditions and some research i have bought the Denon AVRX510BT with BA XS 5.1..... got it set up yest but m facing a bit of an issue in terms of the volume.....

at the sound volume lvl of 70-75 the volume seams to be low... at 50 lvls the sound is hardly audible barely like a whisper.....

can some1 pls suggest the cause and the possible solution.

What is your source ?
I use Dx500 + BA xs 5.1 volume 70+ is quite okay.

Note: For me also Vol. 30 is almost mute. When i bought this combo i thought 40-50 per Faad dega, aatank mach jayega :p haha, But well u need to crack up the volume to 70 atleast to enjoy the music.

Last edited:
You didn't mention what source you are using. What is your room size.
Try some good DTS/Dolby Digital movie see any improvement. You should get decent volume in 45 to 50.

i have the denon x1000, when i play music through the usb in front of the amp, even at 55 its like superloud, cant imagine going beyond 65, but im using different brand speakers though, like one of the others suggested trying going to source level and increase it, i have set mine to +5

This applies even for my Pioneer av receiver. It is not a defect or a problem as such. It also depends on the sensitivity levels for your speaker.

Even with some of the best quality downloaded content, I need to crank up to 80-85% gain. With Bluray, I still need about 65-70% gain for the speakers to sing.

Those Boston's you have are rated at 85db sensitivity and that is going to need a pretty serious av receiver for them to play loud and clear.

As long as the receiver isn't running hot (warm is okay), you are good to crank it up as much as you want.

Not to find fault with your choice and purchase, cheaper receivers don't generally deliver on the claimed power output and they are better off with quality speakers with sensitivity levels of 90db or higher.

Last edited:
well if 100 is max volume and 70sh is what you can enjoy, then whats the problem as you still have room for 30+ more and that could be too loud to hear. Like my avr goes to 97 max and to enjoy any movie at max i use it between 65-70 and in few movies 70+. It just depends on the source you playing i guess. I may be wrong here but thats what i experienced so far.

Note: For me also Vol. 30 is almost mute. When i bought this combo i thought 40-50 per Faad dega, aatank mach jayega :p haha, But well u need to crack up the volume to 70 atleast to enjoy the music.

Very true..... even i felt the same... :D

btw i have connected my DVD to AVR directly and set top to my TV

have you tried increasing your source volume(settings- input- sourcelevel) ???
are you playing it directly by plugging to avr's usb port or do u use a different source?
also try to increase the speaker levels( settings- speakers-manual setup- level)
also you have to take in to the fact that 85 db is on lower side
so the best thing you can do is increasing levels of source and speakers
hope it helps

I don't get it. The numbers here are in (+) or (-) ? My normal TV watching is at (-) 35 to (-) 45 level of volume. Once I accidently hiked the volume to (-) 8, my wife came running from the other corner of the house to check if something is wrong. The speakers were blasting.What to talk of (+), I have never reached even `0' .

On a Denon avr your average volume to watch tv would hover around - 40 to - 30 on the volume knob with subsequent changes made to the set top box volume . While watching a movie the volume would hover around - 30 to - 20 depending upon your preference. I faced a similar problem of volume level while using analog inputs, usb or phone as a source to play music but never with a blueray player or a set top box.

you can change the volume scale 2 types -79 db to +18 db and 0 to 98, you change the it under settings option

@GHELANIAMIT,

I am using Denon X-2000 with Wharfedales Diamond series 10.6 which is having sensitivity of 86 db. I was suggested from our friends to go for X-2000 and not for X-1000 or X-500 due to low sensitivity of the speakers, but still despite of getting the X-2000 I too have to pump the volume between 65 to 70. Actually it's pathetic, don't you agree we are over-utilizing the power by using around 70% of the power in the AVR. For music it gives me good output between 40 to 50. Ideally speaking we need not cross 50% of the power, but these digital AVR's act differently, they open up after 30 if I am not wrong.

yup..even i agree below 30 nothing is audible..m using pioneer vsx 823k with polk audio..betwn 40-50 i get very good sound..beyond that..the floor just blasts..

Bro.. just don't be scared to crank up the volume.. if you are lazy to cycle through the volume.. just go to audio settings and increase the channel levels on all your speakers and you'll be playing loud even at small volumes but please be warned that accidentally cranking too loud might wreck your speakers..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back