Vinyl stuck in Customs

Thank You @kartick - terrific insights.... I agree with your assessment of randomness on part of Indian customs... I have had instances where I have had to shell out custom duty on vinyls I have purchased on Discogs - total shipment value of €55 (Seller in Germany) & €75 (Seller in Austria) - ended up paying ₹1,550 & ₹2,000 respectively... the local postman was always accompanied by another person who collected the custom duty, however no receipt was provided... just a scribbled sarkaari note with delhi post office stamp on the package stating that x amount of customs has been levied... Instances where my order value was €100+ & nothing was charged - go figure!
I haven't tried Juno yet, however after going through your experience, I will order from there.. thank you once again and shine on!

Thank You @kartick - terrific insights.... I agree with your assessment of randomness on part of Indian customs... I have had instances where I have had to shell out custom duty on vinyls I have purchased on Discogs - total shipment value of €55 (Seller in Germany) & €75 (Seller in Austria) - ended up paying ₹1,550 & ₹2,000 respectively... the local postman was always accompanied by another person who collected the custom duty, however no receipt was provided... just a scribbled sarkaari note with delhi post office stamp on the package stating that x amount of customs has been levied... Instances where my order value was €100+ & nothing was charged - go figure!
I haven't tried Juno yet, however after going through your experience, I will order from there.. thank you once again and shine on!
Glad to be of help. I see that you are from Noida. I am in Delhi as well. Should be good to connect offline too. Will PM you my number. Let us be in touch.

For what it's worth...

My sister used to order yarn from Europe, USA and UK for her crochet hobby.

Her parcels used to arrive without problems at Mumbai and Satellite, Ahemdabad.

But the moment they shifted to Odhav, Ahmedabad to be nearer to my BIL's job not a single parcel would arrive on time and every parcel would be charged customs duty.

Finally she got tired of this and met the postmaster to ask why. His reply was that all mail in industrial areas are examined more closely and duty applied for commercial use.

So she started using my address in Mumbai and a friend's address in Ahemdabad who was in a non industrial area and the postman would again deliver without duty

So maybe it makes sense to use only residential addresses and not those in commercial or industrial pockets.

For what it's worth...

My sister used to order yarn from Europe, USA and UK for her crochet hobby.

Her parcels used to arrive without problems at Mumbai and Satellite, Ahemdabad.

But the moment they shifted to Odhav, Ahmedabad to be nearer to my BIL's job not a single parcel would arrive on time and every parcel would be charged customs duty.

Finally she got tired of this and met the postmaster to ask why. His reply was that all mail in industrial areas are examined more closely and duty applied for commercial use.

So she started using my address in Mumbai and a friend's address in Ahemdabad who was in a non industrial area and the postman would again deliver without duty

So maybe it makes sense to use only residential addresses and not those in commercial or industrial pockets.
wow - never thought about this... interesting. Thanks for sharing @sdk
I have ordered a few vinyls from UK recently based on the experience from a FM (staying in Delhi) who hasn't had customs levied on their orders from the same seller... I haven't received the shipment yet, however I will be a case study for the hypothesis you have shared. I live in Noida (suburbs of Delhi - with industries)... let's see how this plays out :)

I have been ordering Blu-rays from Amazon UK since 2010, and I have been charged no duties as long as I keep the number items under 4, and the total value does not exceed 50 UK pounds.

I have been ordering Blu-rays from Amazon UK since 2010, and I have been charged no duties as long as I keep the number items under 4, and the total value does not exceed 50 UK pounds.
Usually, item value under 40-50 UK pounds does not attract customs(if the shipping method is via India Post). But, if the shipping method is via FedEx, then more likely there will be custom duty irrespective of item value, package size, No of of items inside the package.

Disclaimer - If someone wants to participate in Khatron Ke Khiladi (but unable to participate due to ongoing Covid situation), then he/she can order something via FedEx :D

Wow please post a picture of the records as well - they must be special!
Also I'm showing this thread to my wife to prove that I'm not the only one :)
I don't know whether these Vinyls are special and worth of the amount which I paid. Here are the photos

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 84
I don't know whether these Vinyls are special and worth of the amount which I paid. Here are the photos
Every record I own is special to me, regardless of what I paid for them or what Discogs tells me they're worth :)
So yes, all these are special too and happy listening!
Will certainly ease the pain in that place where the Sun don't shine

Usually, item value under 40-50 UK pounds does not attract customs(if the shipping method is via India Post). But, if the shipping method is via FedEx, then more likely there will be custom duty irrespective of item value, package size, No of of items inside the package.

Disclaimer - If someone wants to participate in Khatron Ke Khiladi (but unable to participate due to ongoing Covid situation), then he/she can order something via FedEx :D
And the shipping was always via Royal Mail. Anything via FedEx attracts scrutiny in my experience too.

Update. Finally I am slapped with a heavy custom duty + GST + FedEx Charge of 9031 on the Item Value+ Shipping + Insurance

Item Value is (134 Pound)+Shipping is(47.49 Pound)+insurance(3 Pound) = 19261 rupees
That’s an ouch moment. This much duty is criminal…. Try RoyalMail next time.

That’s an ouch moment. This much duty is criminal…. Try RoyalMail next time.
Yes, definitely. FedEx sucks. Infact the Duty+GST from custom is 8100. 900 Rupees FedEx Charge. Out of which 500 rupees for advance custom duty payment+250 rupees for warehouse charge+150 rupees as GST. Its really criminal. I usually ship via Royal mail. But this time it was my mistake.. A costly mistake..

Hi Guys,

Need a suggestion. I ordered 2 LPs from Juno (one of them is a double disc) on Nov 6th and the items were shipped on Nov 7th. I had chosen Royal Mail (without tracking) as the delivery option . The total value of the shipment is 68 pounds. The items were insured by Royal Mail .

I am not sure where the package is . What should I be doing in this situation ? Should I speak to Juno and claim refund or wait it out ? But having said that, how long should I be typically waiting ?
Please let me know !!
Much Thanks !

Hi Guys,

Need a suggestion. I ordered 2 LPs from Juno (one of them is a double disc) on Nov 6th and the items were shipped on Nov 7th. I had chosen Royal Mail (without tracking) as the delivery option . The total value of the shipment is 68 pounds. The items were insured by Royal Mail .

I am not sure where the package is . What should I be doing in this situation ? Should I speak to Juno and claim refund or wait it out ? But having said that, how long should I be typically waiting ?
Please let me know !!
Much Thanks !
Hello Chief,
Packages through Royal Mail arrive even though they may be very late sometimes. I once received a package 5 months from the date of shipping and a few times in the vicinity of one month time.

And at other times have received packages in 6 days time (in all cases, sent through royal mail). I don't think you should press alarm bells yet.

If you have paid through PayPal, you get a 6 month protection and you can claim refund in the 3rd, 4th or 5th month and upto 6 months. If I were in n your place, I would just update the seller that I am awaiting receipt of the records. Hope it helps.

I have many experience order items from overseas most of time ordered ebay.ca. If the item shipped via Fedex or DHL will received quickly but any items even some metal screw or nut have customs duty, same time us postal service, via post office. There will be no duty non electronic item, even electronic item may have less duty. Example - I have ordered Pioneer RTR- 909 in ebay.ca seller shipped from Italy. I have customs duty only 8K, ordered value 60k. But the problem in Indian post service handling very worst, when I received RTR physically damaged lot, also fault from seller not pack very well. I have other experience with Indian customs they handling very worst, I have ordered another item from eBay.ca Technics SL-15 turntable customs open they using sharp knife to cut the wrapping sheet deep scratched on top panels, very worst look very ugly. Many times while customs open for inspection they damaged!? I have ordered may CD's from discogs and eBay all received box broken condition, due to in post office postman stamping on envelope with heavy weight. If you shipped electronics item (like I bought RTR & turntable) via fedex or DHL, customs request you your bank statement and payment transection to your seller, than you have 42% customs duty + 18% for Modiji.
I have ordered many LP & CD's never paid 1rs for customs duty. Note: Seller shipped without tracking may be some cases missing.

Last edited:
Recently bought some LP's from Singapore with help of friend, packed it paying some 30 Sing $, packing was so good and send it to India via Sing post, Post all came safe with in some 16 days but end up paying close to 50% on duty for the product, which I think is absurd, where the normal duty as to be 32 -33%, not sure on what basic this duty are charged.Customs should provide the buyer with opportunity to explain on details of product he's importing to avoid such high duties, here postman calls to inform on the duty where its already a delay and no re-Assesment possible.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back