VLC Media Player 2.0 released

sound1

"Years in the making, the major new release of VideoLAN's media player has better support for multicore processors, GPUs, and much, much more. From the announcement: 'Twoflower has a new rendering pipeline for video, with higher quality subtitles, and new video filters to enhance your videos. It supports many new devices and BluRay Discs (experimental). Completely reworked Mac and Web interfaces and improvements in the other interfaces make VLC easier than ever to use. Twoflower fixes several hundreds of bugs, in more than 7000 commits from 160 volunteers.'"

Feedback is very positive for Windows and Mac platforms, but not so much for Linux junkies as there lot of bugs yet to be fixed.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

VLC had DD digital plus support in past,but DTS-HD master decoding is not mentioned yet.

I bet it still doesn't do gapless playback for audio --- that is, behave exactly like a CD player, not inserting any silence between tracks if there is none in the performance. It was this that drove me away.

Tried out the new VLC yesterday. Unfortunately, it does not support aacs decoding. So no go for me yet. I am still dependent on makemkv to rip it and play it using mpc.

Tried out the new VLC yesterday. Unfortunately, it does not support aacs decoding. So no go for me yet. I am still dependent on makemkv to rip it and play it using mpc.
Are you sure? I have Kunfu Panda with aac audio & it (2.0)plays easily.Even earlier vlc also could decode it-

Video is playing,but not visible in screenshot.

I followed the guide from imouto site to configure the player, but unfortunately could not get hd audio passthru to my receiver. May be I need to follow the setting once again. It is a hell a lot of things to be installed and configured (but fortunately only once) to get this going. I did the settings in mpc-hc far lower compared to potplayer and it is playing pefectly with hd audio pass thru to my receiver. But as pointed out in earlier posts I am not able to get the decode done by the receiver if the audio is in aac 5.1 channel. It shows as PCM on my yamaha receiver but does not know if it is actually 5.1 channels. Pls throw some light on this..

Thanks.

Yes I was referring to the same site. I followed it till the end to configure but unable to get the hd audio pass thru. I think I need to spend some more time on this to work it out. I did follow similar instructions for mpc-hc thru avsforums and the hd audio passthru is working superbly. But unable to get the aac audio format to work in mpc-hc. I saw some links for the same in google, let me try it out today.

Thanks.

Funnily it does not show update available for me... and when manually checked says I have the latest version!!!

Tx to OP!!!

Yes I was referring to the same site. I followed it till the end to configure but unable to get the hd audio pass thru. I think I need to spend some more time on this to work it out. I did follow similar instructions for mpc-hc thru avsforums and the hd audio passthru is working superbly. But unable to get the aac audio format to work in mpc-hc. I saw some links for the same in google, let me try it out today.

Thanks.

Even I am not getting it.DD/Dts is working fine.There is no option in audio out as bitstream,but LPCM.Let me tweak it again & post if it is a success.

To bitstream HD audio in potplayer change the settings as follows:

Preference (F5) > Filter Control > Audio Decoder > Built in codec settings > Passthrough

To play the AACS encrypted bluray disc using vlc, follow the steps here.
The only correction i would suggest for Win 7 users is, put the keys db in %APPDATA%/Roaming/aacs/

I bet it still doesn't do gapless playback for audio --- that is, behave exactly like a CD player, not inserting any silence between tracks if there is none in the performance. It was this that drove me away.
If anyone who has this version could pop in a live concert recording CD (or play from HDD), and see if VLC 2.00 respects its continuity, or still puts brief silences between the tracks, I'd really appreciate them posting the test result.

This gapless playback problem is one that plagues a number of Linux players, which seems crazy to me, but VLC does do it on Windows as well. Or did.

I still use VLC for the rare occasions that I watch video. I'd love to be able to use it for audio as well.

I went through their forum and it appears that VLC doesn't support it now and they do not have any plans to implement in near future. Reason given was (1) it is a basically a video player and (2) gapless implementation is not easy across various codecs. This feature is in high demand since 2008 but still there seems to be absolutely no progress.

So can't leave foobar after all :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back