Waiting for my new DAC!!

dinesh1201

Hi! friends,

I'm excited to tell you all that I ordered a new DAC for me Schiit Modi Multibit :licklips: from Headphonezone :). Earlier I was using Audioengine DAC 1 but sold it. Modi multibit will give company to my Marantz PM5005 and RTI A3. Will update once get it.
One question though, should I buy short RCA cable Schiit is selling named RCA PYST? or one from Audioquest? this seems to me an unnecessary extra expense. I've few RCA cables from Bandridge and MX wouldn't it be sufficient or more than good for the setup?

Thanks in Advance!
Dinesh

Just don't buy the Cables as of now, just enjoy your new DAC and see how much difference it makes in your present setup ; save the cables upgrade for the next upgrade itch. Cable upgrade is one of the trickiest & most subjective in my opinion, go slow, listen and take a informed decision.

With a multibit you'll realize how beautifully resolving Polk RTI can be..

Congratulations on your purchase, don't forget to keep us posted with your initial and long term impressions.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Just don't buy the Cables as of now, just enjoy your new DAC and see how much difference it makes in your present setup ; save the cables upgrade for the next upgrade itch. Cable upgrade is one of the trickiest & most subjective in my opinion, go slow, listen and take a informed decision.

With a multibit you'll realize how beautifully resolving Polk RTI can be..

Congratulations on your purchase, don't forget to keep us posted with your initial and long term impressions.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your very valuable suggestion. I'll use my MX/Bandridge for now or perhaps for long run too. This will save my money too :)

Yes use what you have been using. That will isolate the new toy and show the difference it brings in. Then you can decide whether to change cables or not.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Yes use what you have been using. That will isolate the new toy and show the difference it brings in. Then you can decide whether to change cables or not.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Thank you!! Yes , you are right. However the MX/bandridge cables are of XL length. The cable from Schiit is short and looks good on aesthetic side :) I'm not gonna buy that but the looks..killer!

Headphone zone hasn't shipped yet :|

Hello Friends!

Today aramex delivered my new Modi Multibit, the buying experience from Headphonezone to delivery from Aramex was very pleasant.

As far as Schiit packaging is concern it's extra simple, just a white box looks like you got cake or pastries in it. Seems Schiit don't invest in packaging design like other do :D , these guys are one step ahead of apple in packaging simplicity.

In the box I've got a Power adapter, DAC itself, 4 rubber feet. No cables. Built quality is great with solid aluminum top and bottom. Front user interface has a button ( push feedback is great with a quick click sound ) to cycle through three inputs which are USB, Optical and Coaxial digital source with three tiny white LEDs that shows which input you selected.

Back interface is very simple just in pictures I uploaded. I don't know if a DAC needs burn in time just like headphones and speakers but trust me the sound quality I'm getting is much much better and different from my Polk than before. I should say it works great in enhancing the mid and upper range. The sound is not harsh.

I've no expensive cables for my gears to connect but very modest ones :) , using Belkin optical cable and Bandridge RCA. Thought of buying Audioquest, some honorable FM suggested me to go with the one I have, so I'm good with my existing ones.

Feeling good having Modi Multibit in my audio setup.

Will update more soon.

Regards
Dinesh

Attachments

• schiit2.jpg
    schiit2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 193
  • schiit3.jpg
    schiit3.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 194
  • schiit4.jpg
    schiit4.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 198
  • schiit6.jpg
    schiit6.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 194
  • schiit1.jpg
    schiit1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC_0433.jpg
    DSC_0433.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 196
Congratulations. Would you prefer the multi bit over the marantz built in DAC?

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

Congrats on your new purchase! Not burn-in but it is recommended to leave it on. The sound is expected to improve over some time as it is left turned on. Do let us know if you observe any such change/improvement.

Thanks Dear, PM5005 has no built in DAC, I think 6005 has.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PM5005 has no DAC built in, however PM6005 has I think :) I've read some where that external DAC to your audio system works much better so I went for Schiit. Trust me I was inclined towards Fostex HP-A4, no availability in India and hefty custom duty, shipping refrained me from buying that.

Schiit is working great too!

Congrats on your new purchase! Not burn-in but it is recommended to leave it on. The sound is expected to improve over some time as it is left turned on. Do let us know if you observe any such change/improvement.

Sure I'll let you guys know, thank you! for your useful suggestion :)

If someone please tell me for what the coaxial out is for in the schiit's back? I'm not too technical sorry :) My mobo has an optical out but no coaxial.

If someone please tell me for what the coaxial out is for in the schiit's back? I'm not too technical sorry :) My mobo has an optical out but no coaxial.
It should be coaxial input, not output. To connect that you need coaxial RCA connector which needs to be connected to coaxial s/pdif out on source. If you have optical out in motherboard then you don't need this. Just connect that with optical in on your DAC with a toslink connector. Usb connection is also possible [emoji41]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

It should be coaxial input, not output. To connect that you need coaxial RCA connector which needs to be connected to coaxial s/pdif out on source. If you have optical out in motherboard then you don't need this. Just connect that with optical in on your DAC with a toslink connector. Usb connection is also possible [emoji41]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Sorry for my ignorance [emoji4] , yes that should be an input. Thank you!!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I think your next step should be speaker placement. Looking at the pics posted it seems they are only 2 feet apart. To get the best stereo imaging you might want to set them apart at least 5 feet to get the best out of it.

@dinesh1201: I am considering the same PM5005 due to the low price.

Now, how much is the difference that you are seeing with the Modi Multibit when compared with the 5005?
Also are you using any good quality source for music or just some MP3's at 128 kbps.

Keep the Modi on for a day and then test again.

@dinesh1201: I am considering the same PM5005 due to the low price.

Now, how much is the difference that you are seeing with the Modi Multibit when compared with the 5005?
Also are you using any good quality source for music or just some MP3's at 128 kbps.

Keep the Modi on for a day and then test again.

Hi, that's what I written..I can really feel the difference with 5005. The before and after sound quality has a real nice improvement I should say.
I listen through iTunes from apple music paid subscriptions (258kbps AAC) I think. Also I have FLACS (600-806kbps) of Norah, adele and others.
PM5005 is a good budget amp :) you may go for it.

Dinesh

I think your next step should be speaker placement. Looking at the pics posted it seems they are only 2 feet apart. To get the best stereo imaging you might want to set them apart at least 5 feet to get the best out of it.

You are right! here's the problem of the space I've on my table :(
To place them more apart I think I should look for a good speaker's stand. I would consider it later for sure. Thank you for the useful suggestion!! :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back