Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player - a HTPC replacement??

Hi All,

WD player can read HDD partitions. It puts the content of first partition in separate folder while showing the disk as single partitioned drive. In my HDD there were no files in one partition and yesterday when I copied some movies into it then WD player was showing it.

So far I'm happy with it's performance!

Ram can you please tell me from where I can get Optical to Digital converter.

Enjoy!
Sid

Hi Sid ,one Q? Can WDTV read ext HD like sata? Other than laptop HD ,can regulat HD with ordinary casing work?

Hi Sid ,one Q? Can WDTV read ext HD like sata? Other than laptop HD ,can regulat HD with ordinary casing work?

Hi Spirovious,

I'm using it with 2 HDD - 1 USB powered HDD and another external powered Seagate 500 GB HDD.

It's recognizing both of them, however I've not tried with external third party/local USB casing yet.

I've one HDD with external USB casing to test. Will also try it with external DVD drive using the same casing :D

Will post the results after testing it tonight.

Enjoy!
Sid

Hi Spirovious,

I'm using it with 2 HDD - 1 USB powered HDD and another external powered Seagate 500 GB HDD.

It's recognizing both of them, however I've not tried with external third party/local USB casing yet.

I've one HDD with external USB casing to test. Will also try it with external DVD drive using the same casing :D

Will post the results after testing it tonight.

Enjoy!
Sid

Waiting for review.I have 500GB WD HD & local casing without software.

rev- Techtree.com India > Reviews > Basics > Specials > Western Digital: WD TV Media Player [Review]

Last edited:
ANyone Here can confirm me. Can it play FULL HD 1080p MKV movies perfectly with out judder or shuttering??

Br.

Hi All,

Yesterday night I tested WDTV with external Sata & IDE HDDs.

For both drives I was using external powered casing, one casing supporting both IDE & SATA and another supporting only SATA drive casing.There was no problem in accessing any of these HDD.

I also tried external DVD drive LG (IDE) but WD did not work with it..

Still looking for Optical converter - One dealer has told me that he can arrange it so looking forward toward it.

Enjoy!
Sid

Hi All,

Yesterday night I tested WDTV with external Sata & IDE HDDs.

For both drives I was using external powered casing, one casing supporting both IDE & SATA and another supporting only SATA drive casing.There was no problem in accessing any of these HDD.

I also tried external DVD drive LG (IDE) but WD did not work with it..

Still looking for Optical converter - One dealer has told me that he can arrange it so looking forward toward it.

Enjoy!
Sid

So what I get from you that any HD(sata/laptop)can be connected to WD with IDE/Sata to usb converter(with ext power supply)
Am I right?

Hi Spirovious,

Yes. It is working fine.

DrMobile, I've played 1080i MKV file with it. There is no glitch/jerks at all, I'm not sure abt 1080P.

Enjoy!
Sid

About pricing

Mumbai lamigton road quotes are aroud 7.5 K to 8.2 K

Now it seems that ad appeared in Chip and price quoted in that ad is 6.5 K.
Now a contact is givem In AD - amarjeet sigh -93210-29204
I called Mr Singh and he told me that price was w/o tax and this is not being it product but entertainment product this goes in higher tax slab.

Also in mumbai there is octroi.

Any otrher price feedback?

About pricing

I called Mr Singh and he told me that price was w/o tax and this is not being it product but entertainment product this goes in higher tax slab.

Is this price for WD?final cost?

About pricing

Thanks hemantwaghe,

Very useful/helpful information. Can they ship to Hyderabad or if any local branch in Hyderabad. I'm also interested to know what's the HDD size i.e. if it's 500 GB and also if it can be upgraded to 1 TB or more as and when they become available. Perhaps any guys who have used/are using these products can help out here.

Also any information on when the next generation of DVDP with Divx 7 are coming out? They will play H.264/MKV files and might be a better option to WDTV and others similarly. Of course they might be expensive initially, but prices for DVDP drop very quickly too.

Thanks hemantwaghe,

Very useful/helpful information. Can they ship to Hyderabad or if any local branch in Hyderabad. I'm also interested to know what's the HDD size i.e. if it's 500 GB and also if it can be upgraded to 1 TB or more as and when they become available. Perhaps any guys who have used/are using these products can help out here.

Also any information on when the next generation of DVDP with Divx 7 are coming out? They will play H.264/MKV files and might be a better option to WDTV and others similarly. Of course they might be expensive initially, but prices for DVDP drop very quickly too.

Moserw.
WD TV does not have an internal hard drive. You need to buy an external drive and connect to it via USB. I have a Maxtor 1TB external which works flawlessly.

DVDP might still not be the solution, bcos WD TV and PopCorn can upgrade firmware when new codecs are published, this is not possible still in DVDp

Hi Ram ,

One update - My WD is able to give audio output in Digital mode also on same HDMI cable.

Any idea how it is happening? I've updated the firmware with one available on their site.

as in my last post it was not giving any sound on digital mode but since last few days its giving audio to digital mode also.
Last week I was trying an Optical converter to get the digital audio on my Philips 4750 HTiB. That converter didn't work and I'm waiting for another model as promised by dealer.

Will update you if got a converter which works:confused:. Price quoted to me was between Rs. 1200-1500.

Enjoy!
Sid

Hi Ram ,

One update - My WD is able to give audio output in Digital mode also on same HDMI cable.

Any idea how it is happening? I've updated the firmware with one available on their site.

as in my last post it was not giving any sound on digital mode but since last few days its giving audio to digital mode also.
Last week I was trying an Optical converter to get the digital audio on my Philips 4750 HTiB. That converter didn't work and I'm waiting for another model as promised by dealer.

Will update you if got a converter which works:confused:. Price quoted to me was between Rs. 1200-1500.

Enjoy!
Sid

Thats how WD TV works. It send audio signal both via HDMI and Optical Out. When I play Dexter Divx, i get sound via HDMI in my TV and via optical in my Philips 4750. I simple mute the TV and listen in Philips.

When I see 2 and half men, i switch off Philips :)

Enjoy the dual benefit.

Convertor is not available in India. Did u try ordering from Amazon ?

Hi,

There is one local dealer who deals in Audio Video business for Broadcasters/TV channels. What he sent to me was a SDI Video to Fiber Transmitter and Receiver pair. It is used to convert SDI video input to Optical Signal which can be transmitted up to 45 Km and then again get converted to SDI at another end.

This model didn't work so he is sending me another model which does only one job - conversion. Company is Communication Specialties Inc. Welcome to Communications Specialties, Inc. (CSI) | Pure Digital Fiberlink | Scan Do | Deuce and imported from Long Island,NY,USA.

Enjoy!
Sid

Hi Rajeev,
Call the person mentioned -I think he is company employee.

My take is wait for some tome :D- this is first cut price - generally prices fail upto 20%
Let the prise stabilize

Also this is just the begining - maybe we will get far better gadget like onboard HDD - Co axial analouge out and maybe DVD player - writer bult in or maybe with onboard OS so taht it will be self sufficiant HTPC

:eek:

" The future's uncertain, and the end is always near" - Roadhouse Blues

Thats how WD TV works. It send audio signal both via HDMI and Optical Out. When I play Dexter Divx, i get sound via HDMI in my TV and via optical in my Philips 4750. I simple mute the TV and listen in Philips.

When I see 2 and half men, i switch off Philips :)

Enjoy the dual benefit.

Convertor is not available in India. Did u try ordering from Amazon ?

Can we consider WD as strong alternative to DVDp?
I meen can WD come close to oppo980 in terms of vid Q & stereo SQ too?

Can we consider WD as strong alternative to DVDp?
I meen can WD come close to oppo980 in terms of vid Q & stereo SQ too?

Thats still not clear. Me and Venkat are planning to meet and do the test. The plan is:

Play a DVD in oppo connected to my PV80 and Phili 4750. Copy the same movie to USB and play it through WD TV and compare.

Hopefully we can do the test and post comments soon.

Same is pending for WD vs PopCorn.

Just that new house is taking my time away on weekends :(

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back