Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player - a HTPC replacement??

Thats still not clear. Me and Venkat are planning to meet and do the test. The plan is:

Play a DVD in oppo connected to my PV80 and Phili 4750. Copy the same movie to USB and play it through WD TV and compare.

Hopefully we can do the test and post comments soon.

Same is pending for WD vs PopCorn.

Just that new house is taking my time away on weekends :(

Thanks again,waiting for masters review(You & Venkat)
Really it will help us.The points in which I m interested are-
1.Upscaling DVDs to 1080p(vid Q)
2.HD playback
3.Stereo SQ

If WD comes close to oppo & loose to oppo by 10% ,then also WD will be a univesal choice for price,upgdradability

Master - Venkat very very true, I = Learning to become an apprentice :)

But we can check only 720p as I have PV8. Also, plan is to check how the Philips 4750 DVDp performs :)

Hello,
I am wondering does it play iso files. I am using NetgearEVA8000 which is a similer product but it has wireless network and youtube playing capacity.I just rip my dvds in my hard disc as iso image file and play in this player. But I guess at 8000 odd rupees WD TV is a real good deal.
thanks,
Mahi.

Yes sir its the same. WD has only one model :). I bought for 99$ + 6$ at BestBuy. Go ahead you wont regret it (y)

"AAC/Dolby Digital decodes in 2 channel output only" as mentioned on the specifications page. Does this mean Dolby Digital is output only in 2.0 and not 5.1? Have this been checked on Divx rips? Unfortunately most of my DVDs are ripped in Divx in Dolby Digital 5.1. If they play in 2.0 then it would be meaningless for me.

"AAC/Dolby Digital decodes in 2 channel output only" as mentioned on the specifications page. Does this mean Dolby Digital is output only in 2.0 and not 5.1? Have this been checked on Divx rips? Unfortunately most of my DVDs are ripped in Divx in Dolby Digital 5.1. If they play in 2.0 then it would be meaningless for me.

Its 2.0 channel although it may not be bad if the source is good and so are your compnents.

Let me explain, WD TV does not have inuilt decoding facality to decode Dolby or DTS. WHat it will do is, it will pass the sound through the optical or HDMI. So you can connect the optical or HDMI to your AVR and that will decode the DTS or Dolby and play it.

For example, I have connected my WD TV to Philips 4750 via Optical cable. WD passes the digital audio to Philips and Philips decodes the DTS/Dolby and WOWs me everyday :)

Did i confuse you?:sad:

Wouldn't it play DD5.1 if we direct the audio through the optical out to the AVR?

Yes it will and it does and I have watched Iron Man 25 times in DTS (bcos i love the SQ with my Phili) and my Fiance' has given a letter of divorce intent :)

Hi Ram,

I've bought WD TV yesterday from Nehru Place for 6500/-.

It's working fine, except HDMI audio Mode - Sound is coming only when the audio mode is selected to Stereo! If I select Digital get no sound. Wd is connected to TV using HDMI cable.

Can you tell me how to correct that.

Sid

I think switching it onto the digital mode, outputs the sound in PCM via HDMI, and hence you need to have an external decoder, such as an AVR to decode the PCM...

And can anyone please inform me if its available in bangalore, thank you...

Last edited:
In other words "bitstream" as applied to DD/DTS streams.

Let me explain, WD TV does not have inuilt decoding facality to decode Dolby or DTS. WHat it will do is, it will pass the sound through the optical or HDMI. So you can connect the optical or HDMI to your AVR and that will decode the DTS or Dolby and play it.

For example, I have connected my WD TV to Philips 4750 via Optical cable. WD passes the digital audio to Philips and Philips decodes the DTS/Dolby and WOWs me everyday :)

Did i confuse you?:sad:

I think switching it onto the digital mode, outputs the sound in PCM via HDMI, and hence you need to have an external decoder, such as an AVR to decode the PCM...

And can anyone please inform me if its available in bangalore, thank you...

Hey,its not PCM ,otherwise you can get only stereo& not 5.1
It shld be raw or bitstream.

Hi madbullram,

Thanks for all the useful posts above.
One more question:
  • Does it play uncompressed AVI?

It lists AVI, but I have a feeling that it plays only AVI files compressed using MPEG4 etc.
I have a lot of home video as uncompressed AVI (640x480, 30fps with uncompressed PCM audio). I have tried MPEG2 as well as MPEG4 compression, but they visually distort the picture. I have no shortage of storage space, so I intend to preserve the uncompressed originals. The only problem I have is that I need to connect the PC/laptop to the projector/LCD TV every time I want to play these files. None of my DVD or Blu-ray players play uncompressed video.

Thanks,
Sharad
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My primary setup:
* Panasonic BD30 Blu-ray, NAD C542 CD player, Project Debut III TT with NAD PP2,Denon DRW-585 Cassette Deck
* Denon AVR 2809, NAD C372 Amp
* Monitor Audio RS6 with Definitive Technology Super Cube II subwoofer
* Projector: Plus U5-111 (Next on the line for upgrade)

Hi madbullram,

Thanks for all the useful posts above.
One more question:
  • Does it play uncompressed AVI?

It lists AVI, but I have a feeling that it plays only AVI files compressed using MPEG4 etc.
I have a lot of home video as uncompressed AVI (640x480, 30fps with uncompressed PCM audio). I have tried MPEG2 as well as MPEG4 compression, but they visually distort the picture. I have no shortage of storage space, so I intend to preserve the uncompressed originals. The only problem I have is that I need to connect the PC/laptop to the projector/LCD TV every time I want to play these files. None of my DVD or Blu-ray players play uncompressed video.

Thanks,
Sharad
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My primary setup:
* Panasonic BD30 Blu-ray, NAD C542 CD player, Project Debut III TT with NAD PP2,Denon DRW-585 Cassette Deck
* Denon AVR 2809, NAD C372 Amp
* Monitor Audio RS6 with Definitive Technology Super Cube II subwoofer
* Projector: Plus U5-111 (Next on the line for upgrade)

Haven't played one, but dont mind trying it for you. Tell me what you want to try, as in how do you rip the AVIs and I will try the same for you.

madbullram,

My AVI files are not rips of anything. They are home video files.
The closest you could get is to play the clock.avi that comes with MS Windows, though it is lower resolution.

Thanks,
Sharad

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back