Wharfdale 10.7 or 9.6

idlebrain

I have decided to go for 10.7 or 9.6 to use for 2ch Stereo set up and as the fronts for my HT which currently got Energy Take Classic 5.1 and Denon 1910 in living room of size 16feet X 17feet.
Please pass some inputs on which one will drive well with Denon 1910.
Not yet decided on CDP and amp, will decide on them based on speakers.

I have decided to go for 10.7 or 9.6 to use for 2ch Stereo set up and as the fronts for my HT which currently got Energy Take Classic 5.1 and Denon 1910 in living room of size 16feet X 17feet.
Please pass some inputs on which one will drive well with Denon 1910.
Not yet decided on CDP and amp, will decide on them based on speakers.

Hi idlebrain,

I own the Diamond 10.7. My initial impressions are that they are very good, but being rear ported floorstanders they need a lot of space to work well. At least 1 feet from the rear wall and a lot of space in the front. And they should be toed in to get the full "effect":)

You mentioned that you are planning to use it as a stereo speaker in conjunction with a stereo amp and as a HT front speaker with Denon 1910. I assume that at least for HT usage, you would want the Denon 1910 to act as pre-processor for the front speakers and then let the stereo amp do the actual amplification. To do this, you need pre-outs for front speakers in the Denon. As far as I know, Denon 1910 does not have analog multi channel or even 2 front channel pre-out. Please check this. If Denon does not have analog pre-outs for two or multi channels, then you may want to keep your current speakers for HT and create a setup for stereo with the Wharfedales.

Both are 6 ohm speakers rated with a max power handling capacity of 200 W (I think 9.6 is 150W). Wharfedale has not published the continuous power handling capacity so I do not know how much it can handle continuously. But the Diamond 10.7 / 9.6 could really sing with powerful amps - the Denon 1910 will work with them but may not be powerful enough to drive those floorstanders with authority. Hence you should consider a good enough stereo amp / integrated amp, I would suggest you buy the ones that are rated for a continuous two channel power delivery of 90-100 Watts at 6 ohms.

Hi, if you want to use wh9.6/10.7 you definitely need a seperate stereo amp for music.denon will not do justice for wh9.6/10.7. they need a powerfull amp for better musicality.before i used 9.6 and not satisfied -muddy in bass and lack of details. this is my personnel openion.so better to go for audition before purchse.

Kdlsrinu, the 9.6 is also rear ported. Am sure you tried this but just want to confirm - did u try placing them a decent distance away from rear walls? Were they placed close to corners?

Yes 1910 doesn't have the Pre-outs.So what could be the solution? Once I buy the Floor standers, I definitely want to use them on HT as well for its punch. Shall I look for a step below versions in that case?

Yes 1910 doesn't have the Pre-outs.So what could be the solution? Once I buy the Floor standers, I definitely want to use them on HT as well for its punch. Shall I look for a step below versions in that case?

If you're referring to lower end speakers by "step below versions", then it still doesn't solve your problem of using the same speaker for HT as front and for stereo through a stereo amp. However, if you are giving up the idea of a separate stereo amp for sometime and going to use Denon 1910 for music, then yes, stepping down to a smaller speaker will save your Denon 1910 from being pushed to its limits. I had auditioned the Wharfedale Diamond 10., KEF iQ30 and a Klipsch bookshelf model with Denon 1910. Both the KEF and Klipsch sounded very harsh with the Denon 1910. The Diamond 10.1 sounded decent with the Denon 1910.

Consider the Diamond 10.1. But since your budget was 50-60K INR, it gives you a lot more flexibility to buy very good bookshelves. I have not auditioned other models like Monitor Audio, Usher etc so I would not be able to confidently recommend them. Go through the speakers thread and select bookshelves that have a high sensitivity (easier to drive) and 6 - 8 ohms impedance. If possible take your Denon 1910 for auditioning and then select the ones your ears like:)

definetly agree with Kdlsrinu ,i remeber auditioning the wharfadale FS spkrs
(not too sure of the model number ) the bass was muddy overall not exciting --this was in a AV shop the sprks were driven by a Nad integrated

do give other brands a listen too

Last edited:
sorry for the late reply. yes i kept them in decent distance and tried them with all sorts. but i am not satisfied.i found they are lacking the punch.even i changed my amp also. but no use. finally ichange the speakers.

definetly agree with Kdlsrinu ,i remeber auditioning the wharfadale FS spkrs
(not too sure of the model number ) the bass was muddy overall not exciting --this was in a AV shop the sprks were driven by a Nad integrated

do give other brands a listen too

Subhash, Kdlsrinu,

Could you please define muddy bass for me? Please dont take this as a poser, I really want to understand the definition. You see, I have recently purchased the Diamond 10.7 and this being my very first true stereo speakers, I am actually quite happy with its output.

It is very likely that both of you auditioned the Diamond 9.5 / 9.6 and not the 10.7, since the 10.7s were launched only recently . Hence my need to understand muddy bass and see if the Diamond 10.7s bass is good or bad.

Appreciate your help in advance.

-thekinge

9.5 , 9.6 and 10.7 are very good floor standers (9.5 >9.6>10.7 ) and of course no floor standers can give SQ , interms of base , as that of a dedicated SUB.

Regards

Subhash, Kdlsrinu,

Could you please define muddy bass for me? Please dont take this as a poser, I really want to understand the definition. You see, I have recently purchased the Diamond 10.7 and this being my very first true stereo speakers, I am actually quite happy with its output.

It is very likely that both of you auditioned the Diamond 9.5 / 9.6 and not the 10.7, since the 10.7s were launched only recently . Hence my need to understand muddy bass and see if the Diamond 10.7s bass is good or bad.

Appreciate your help in advance.

-thekinge

it was definetly the 9 series which i heard ,it was the biggest FS of that series

about the bass in stereo mode--i wud say it was illdefined and not tight enough . the bass was all over the place, kinda boomy/superficial (not deep enough)
but these were overall good for multichannel/HT

only way to make out difference is by listening to other systems ---but this cud be dangerous :)

hi,krishna
i didnt understand your statement."no floor standers can give sound quality in terms of base."pls dont respond negatively.
regards

Sir,
Please dont take it as negative response . The speakers in reference are low to middle end . It is not fair to compare them with Canton Vento 890 DC in termes of SQ .

Regsrds

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back