What 4K media player you suggest

sunild

Hi Team,

I have been using Playon earlier in 2010 i was happy with performance, since then i have not bee using any of the media plaer.

I am setting up home theatre, Receiver i have Marantz 5012, speakers i am going either KEF or Klipsh . looking for 4K medial player, kindly suggest best medial player in the market. presently anyone who is using and happy with that.

I am planning to buy Playon.

Hi Team,

I have been using Playon earlier in 2010 i was happy with performance, since then i have not bee using any of the media plaer.

I am setting up home theatre, Receiver i have Marantz 5012, speakers i am going either KEF or Klipsh . looking for 4K medial player, kindly suggest best medial player in the market. presently anyone who is using and happy with that.

I am planning to buy Playon.
Check out the Nvidia Shield heard it is amazing

Nvidia Shield is amazing but the problem is, its not officially available in India hence the price is ridiculous.
Get it from abroad if you can, i got it from Canada for 230$, it came down to 180$ during black friday deals

The Nvidia shield for even 15-20k is an amazing player. Yes it's expensive. But then, it's the best media player. Period. There are other cheaper alternatives. But nothing as good as the shield. If u have the budget, and I think u do, from your first post, buy the shield.

The Shield is great but it doesn't do Atmos or Dolby Vision. It also has issues with switching HDMI color profiles. I've been using one for years and it has served me very well. If i was to buy a new one today though, i would likely get a Fire Stick 4K (also very good) or an Apple TV.

The Shield is great but it doesn't do Atmos or Dolby Vision. It also has issues with switching HDMI color profiles. I've been using one for years and it has served me very well. If i was to buy a new one today though, i would likely get a Fire Stick 4K (also very good) or an Apple TV.
I believe it supports Dolby Atmos pass-through but I am not sure about Dolby Vision.

I have seen so many reviews which confirms it supports Atmos.

Unless something has changed in the last few weeks, I'm confident it does not. Heck there's a petition going on to add Atmos support to the Shield.
But you mentioned that Shield doesn't support ATMOS which is not true.
Please refer the official site of Shield TV: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/specs/

Guess the issue is with Netflix App in Shield TV. They are not supporting it. You can still pass through atmos audio through downloaded files

If you want Kodi based media player, than Vero 4K and Minix U9H (with Librelec Kodi) are both very capable option.

Nvidia Shield is amazing but the problem is, its not officially available in India hence the price is ridiculous.
Get it from abroad if you can, i got it from Canada for 230$, it came down to 180$ during black friday deals

I am looking to get it from US. It costs around 12k. Can it be connected directly to indian voltage?. And to watch movies from USB does it play directly like blu ray players or do you need a player like Kodi or Vlc installed?

I am looking to get it from US. It costs around 12k. Can it be connected directly to indian voltage?. And to watch movies from USB does it play directly like blu ray players or do you need a player like Kodi or Vlc installed?
It works well with indian voltage. Need kodi/vlc player to play from usb. It can play Easley nay size of file.

It works well with indian voltage. Need kodi/vlc player to play from usb. It can play Easley nay size of file.
Thanks for clearing that up. How good is the audio quality played in kodi or vlc. Is it top notch as a blu ray player. And how about plex? I used plex on ps4 and it did not bitstream. Has anyone tried streaming atmos or dts HD content using plex on Nvida shield?

Thanks for clearing that up. How good is the audio quality played in kodi or vlc. Is it top notch as a blu ray player. And how about plex? I used plex on ps4 and it did not bitstream. Has anyone tried streaming atmos or dts HD content using plex on Nvida shield?
I downloaded lot of atmos movies and works fine with kodi. I don't have plex set-up.

It works great! PLEX Server is itself is a bit finicky but works most of the time, Bitstreaming works flawlessly.
The Shield's big flawes so were lack of automatic colorspace switching (fixed in 7.2.2), no Dolby Vision (not sure if will ever be fixed), and no Atmos in Netflix. The Shield has Atmos in every other app though.

It works great! PLEX Server is itself is a bit finicky but works most of the time, Bitstreaming works flawlessly.
The Shield's big flawes so were lack of automatic colorspace switching (fixed in 7.2.2), no Dolby Vision (not sure if will ever be fixed), and no Atmos in Netflix. The Shield has Atmos in every other app though.
Oh so plex can play Atmos and dts HD in shield? That’s good to know. Do you have shield nd used plex to bitstream?

Oh so plex can play Atmos and dts HD in shield? That’s good to know. Do you have shield nd used plex to bitstream?

Yes, I do have the Shield as in my signature. :)
Plex Bitstreams DTS and Atmos effortlessly - Dunkirk 4K bluray rip, and Ready Player One 4K Bluray rips are great tests for both.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back