what did you do last year, what are you planning this year.

doors666

Just wanted to share with you guys what all I did last year and the future plans for this year. I was a total newbie with diy at the beginning of last year. My only experience was a sub and I wanted to make some speakers as thats the fastest way to sonic nirvana.

Alpair 7 - That was my first project, for my desktop system I wanted a full range speakers as these are easy to make, even easier than subs as all I needed was the drivers and binding posts. I just made a simple cabinet sealed around 6L in volume. Later I added some damping and stuffing materials. Driving these with topping tp20, I liked the amp in the beginning but now I am quite bored of it and want to make something better, but thats for later. I was very happy with the sound quality of the speakers, the vocals, tonality of the instruments, soundstage is great with these. These are not your general purpose speakers. Where these excel, they beat most of the other speakers, but not for all genres. Good for vocals, light music, jazz, blues, light classical etc. Not very good for complicated music where there are a lot of instruments playing at the same time. Sucks with bad sources, mp3 etc. You definitely need another pair of speakers to go with these.

Overnight sensations:
These are my first 2way speakers. Real cheap, good quality. General purpose speakers. I had almost stopped listening to rock, metal etc when I only had alpairs till I got the OS. These do good with most of the music genres. Good bass for such a small speakers (4.5L ported). I use it on my terrace also with the topping as these are small and almost portable. In the long run, you will need a sub with these. With a sub, these can handle about 20w. oh and these do well even with my ipod as source, or with 128kbps mp3s.

Continuums:

These are inspired from the harbeth ps3esr, designed by Jeff Bagby. Looks also the same, but I couldnt go for removable front baffle as my wife didnt like the screws in the front as that looks very industrial, so I had to seal the front baffle and no screws. These use the aurum cantus ac130f1 and dayton rs28a. These play most of the genres very well and come very very close to alpair 7 in the performance. Stunning stunning speakers, absolutely amazing sound, probably the best small 2way speakers I have ever heard in my entire life. Little low on bass as its 5.25" woofer in a sealed cabinet, but very good and tight bass though. Initially I was planning to use these for surrounds for my home theater, but when I heard these, I was like, wtf, cant use such awesome speakers for surrounds, moved these also to my desktop. Now I have two pairs there. Perfect:yahoo:
BTW, these are also sold by salk sound for around 1200$. For diy, it costed me a little over 300$ for parts. I believe meniscus audio will soon have a kit for these. Currently the design is not open source, you have to send an email to the designer to get the design, its free of cost though.

This year, I am planning to do these projects:

ER18MTM
This is a design by dennis murphy and paul kittinger (salk sound designers). This one falls somewhere in between the songtower and ht2tl in terms of sound quality and parts price. I got the parts recently but I am yet to move a finger for these. Hopefully soon.:) These will eventually goto my main ht system. I am really looking forward to hearing these.

Sub:
I wanted to make a sub for my desktop system, got the tb 1363sb driver also, still waiting for my amp which is lying with my friend in california. Sometimes there are disadvantages of getting stuff from US. I might get it in march, so lets see.

I think I will give a bit of a rest for speaker making. Eventually I want to make a scanspeak system, something like zrt2.5, jazzman or ekta/ekta grande, but so far, no money for these or permission from wifey.

This year I plan to tackle the electronics mainly. A 2 channel power amp for my desktop system, I will use the topping just for portable purposes. A pre-power amp for the main system and probably a dac too. That should keep my busy for a while. I will be posting threads to get some recommendations for these from you guys.:lol:

Good to save money you see. When you visit these forums your upgraditis and GAS start becoming severe and you need to keep spending money to keep them in check :D

So good to sometimes just forget about upgrades and enjoy music :licklips:

yeah, you must've been real busy listening to music as you havent posted a single message in the entire last year:lol:

Last edited:
some DIY SRPP pre i did half . ..did some mix match tests with tripaths for a nice PSU for these ..
This year VFM dac setup, or PCMCIA>dac setup will do id get time

Will collect FLACs and wann put tiny USB player in kitchen... guys suggest one
max 2k with remote

Last Year .... <Scratch!>... <Scratch!>... <Scratch!>...
This Year .... <Scratch!>... <Scratch!>... <Scratch!>... :rolleyes:

Finish my procrastinator tube amp, build a speaker pair with jxr6, build the Pass B1, build the balanced power supply kit from transcend.

--G0bble
:)

Last Year .... <Scratch!>... <Scratch!>... <Scratch!>...
This Year .... <Scratch!>... <Scratch!>... <Scratch!>... :rolleyes:

Finish my procrastinator tube amp, build a speaker pair with jxr6, build the Pass B1, build the balanced power supply kit from transcend.

--G0bble
:)

You've done better than me, I just made speakers, you made an entire system. I should've gone your way. Oh hell, better late than never, this will be an electronics year for me..:lol:

I used to do some kiddo DIY stuff like running led lights and door chimes in my school years . i did some diy speakers with cheep available drivers with no crossover (whats that ?) but a capacitor as told by diy guru in school who raved about mosfet amps, tdks he made . Those time i never had access to diy books like efy . After my college i lost interest in diy except desktop pc assembling . Last year when i was searching for a remote control for my pc for XBMC i came across a diy serial port ir receiver project . It was so simple and since I couldnt find a ready made remote for my PC I once again took the soldering iron and other things which were closed in the cupboard for so many years . Next came a simple amp project based on lm 1875 of which one channel is up and running after some explosions :cool: . This year am planning to do some thing bit more interesting like an amp based on lm3886 (my ref c or Xcalibre), a peerless based bookshelfs and subwoofer.
One major problem am finding is the difficulty in sourcing the components and lack of tested projects based on Indian components (speakers) . i hope the diy gurus of HFV can fix the second issue with initiatives like the Peerless subwoofer and bookshelf projects . I wish we had some thing like Indian version part express for sourcing components at realistic price :) .

Last year i acquired a great tTT , this year i bought DENON DL 160 cart

looking forward for great pre, power amp and great speaker

i auditioned paradigm signature series and focal , wow great speakers

Regards

Tanoj

The torture never stops.....

Finished a Dayton 315HF based SUB. It was modded from a Peerless driver. Plate amp is an Oaudio 500w. Also, modded an earlier 6-ch Gainclone - 3875/3886/4780 (+/- 28v@6A each). BIG tranny.

Looking at a new cabinet for the woofer part of a 3-way, actively crossed at 100hz.

Following that, a Rod Elliott P3, high bias, trying to keep in Class A throughout.

Then, a complete active Scanspeak based system (Troels Gravessen design).

Ofcourse, "wanting" and "doing" are two different animals.

Last edited:
Last year I built my entire Home Theater. Plan for this year is to accquire a Network capable dedicated stereo amp (discarded Onkyo 8050). Am inclined for something from Cambridge Audio but they have no product in network stereo amp (onlt NP30 network music player as of now and I do not intend to buy two separate items).

Meniscus does have a kit out for these. Drivers + X-over parts = ~$300.

Doors, can you please post pics. of your Continuums? Would love to see how they turned out.

here are some pics -

Could not convince my wife about the traditional look, with all external screws on the front. she said its too industrial, hence the simple baffle. And yeah, they do sound amazing. I wonder how they compare with the harbeths:)

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back