What is the best and cheapest way to ship a bookshelf speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivek.saikia

Hi All,

I am buying a used pair of bookshelf speakers from Bangalore which needs to be shipped to Pune.
I am searching for the best/cheapest and safest way to transport these speaker from B'Lore to Pune.

Any inputs on this?

Thanks!
Vivek

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever you do, see if you an use a wooden crate over the cardboard box. I have seen too many damages to be happy about shipping in India. If you are buying a used unit, you just have to be even more careful.

Cheers

bubble wrap before you put them in a box for shipping you can use some good travels (Volvo buses). Worth it . Coz with couriers you have declare the value of the item etc and pay the octroi later when you receive (just my thought thou) ...

Whatever you do, see if you an use a wooden crate over the cardboard box. I have seen too many damages to be happy about shipping in India. If you are buying a used unit, you just have to be even more careful.
Cheers

Yeah, after seeing the threads on the damaged speakers during shipping is really causing a big concern to me. But adding a wooden crate over the package will increase the weight and in turn increase cost. A vicious circle :(

bubble wrap before you put them in a box for shipping you can use some good travels (Volvo buses). Worth it . Coz with couriers you have declare the value of the item etc and pay the octroi later when you receive (just my thought thou) ...

using cellotape/duct tape, fix up 2" thermocol cut to size on all sides. cover up with cardboard and keep inside wooden crate but fix the corners with thermocol. beech ki gap me raddi akhbaar dal do if u wish to.

The (to be) sender has assured me that he will get it packed by some professional people using thermocol, bubble wrap and newspaper.

We were also considering the option of sending it via the Neeta Volvo buses and we had almost finalized on it but later found out that there are no Neeta Volvo bus service between B'Lore and Pune :( I don't know about any other reliable bus service plying between B'Lore-Pune.
Now back to square one.

Last edited:
Check with VRL or Sharma Travels. They have many services to Pune.

Yeah, after seeing the threads on the damaged speakers during shipping is really causing a big concern to me. But adding a wooden crate over the package will increase the weight and in turn increase cost. A vicious circle :(

The (to be) sender has assured me that he will get it packed by some professional people using thermocol, bubble wrap and newspaper.

We were also considering the option of sending it via the Neeta Volvo buses and we had almost finalized on it but later found out that there are no Neeta Volvo bus service between B'Lore and Pune :( I don't know about any other reliable bus service plying between B'Lore-Pune.
Now back to square one.

Raj travels is quite professional.

Why don't you get it shipped via "movers and packers"?

Agarwal is one of the reputed ones, although in this field, it is sometimes a hit and miss affair. They use wooden crates by default, from what I remember.

Good movers and packers manage to do a decent job with household stuff which often includes fragile electronics and glassware, so they have experience in this sort of thing.

Many organizations also use Writer, although I haven't used them personally or heard individuals using it.

You should also get your speakers insured. This will add to the cost but will give you peace of mind.

Raj travels is quite professional.

Why don't you get it shipped via "movers and packers"?

Agarwal is one of the reputed ones, although in this field, it is sometimes a hit and miss affair. They use wooden crates by default, from what I remember.

Good movers and packers manage to do a decent job with household stuff which often includes fragile electronics and glassware, so they have experience in this sort of thing.

Many organizations also use Writer, although I haven't used them personally or heard individuals using it.

You should also get your speakers insured. This will add to the cost but will give you peace of mind.

What would be the charges of the Movers and Packers? Any Idea?
I don't want to blow up a big amount in shipping only.

Charges are by the weight and dimensions . Forum members cant tell you that, I would still suggest you to ask your bangalore mate to check with some other travels... Movers and packers may cost you a lil extra.....

Or try inquire with DTDT PLUS (premium service) ....

you can use steel thalis/ plates to protect the drivers :) I think it would be the cheapest way to ensure nothing pierces the cones easily. Rest can be protected by methods suggested above.

put a bit of superglue on all the screws/nuts. When i shipped my earlier speakers to someone in the forum, 2 of the screws for the back apparetnly came off due to the rattle of the Surface transport.:sad:
If you have an air transport option take it..it may be well worth the extra cost.

Hi All,

Finally, we have chosen "Shama Transport" bus service to ship the Speakers from B'Lore to Pune. The speakers are packed well, utilizing the tips from the fellow HIFIVians here. Thanks to all of you for your inputs.
Now, if everything goes well then my speakers will be singing in my room by tomorrow. Waiting in anticipation with crossed fingers.

Thanks again to all :clapping:

Cheers!
Vivek

You can call them and get a quote. Apart from moving houses, I've used movers and packers to ship a large suitcase a while ago - and I remember the prices being reasonable - much less than a courier.

Again, you can also call Raj Travels and ask them - it might be simpler.
Raj Travel World | Information

They're quite professional - as far as travel companies can get professional.

The only other tip I can give you is that whatever you pack, make sure it is packed/stuffed as tightly as possible. Along with good padding, tight packing is the secret to avoid breakage during transportation. I've moved a fair bit of stuff and this has always worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back