What to do with DVD's and VCD's which are not used?

Guys, I bow down to you. The best video quality I have seen in my life till now is Ten HD on my airtel digital tv and if that is what all the blu ray discs offer then it sure is nothing less than stunning.

I have not seen airtel digital tv, but looking at the cable/dish networks HD quality with heavy compreesion here in US, I think Bluray is many times more bitrate. I am sure you will be blown away by bluray compared to the digital tv.

Last edited:
Guys, I bow down to you. The best video quality I have seen in my life till now is Ten HD on my airtel digital tv and if that is what all the blu ray discs offer then it sure is nothing less than stunning.

At the risk of being repetitive and mundane (when other have said everything), I state my own reasons for buying genuine:

- I have a decent HT setup and I would like nothing less that top quality
- I had downloaded 700mb rips earlier and I found that while they were OK to watch on a laptop, when projecting them 100" wide on screen the quality sucked
- No Dolby Digital or such audio in rips
- Never ever tried BD-rips but I suspect that they also suck in quality
- True 1080p rips may be all right but can one imaging downloading such a rip over the pathetic internet connection speed?
- Finally, I, much like many others here, want to have only good quality stuff
- I do not subscribe to the idea of piracy but not because of the reasons the studios say

There are people who just want to see that content regardless of the quality. They are very satisfied with even VCDs (as the other thread posts said).

As regards to the Ten-HD quality vs. Blu-Ray quality, the BD is much better as manoj.p said. BD will be better than any HD-DTH because of the following reasons:

- As manoj said, BD's have much higher bit-rates, lesser compression and better quality
- HD-DTH is 1080i whereas BD is 1080p
- HD-DTH will, at best have 5.1 surround whereas BD will have HD Master sound (Dolby TruHD or DTS HD Master Audio or uncompressed PCM) and in many cases it will be 7.1 channel

If you have a BD player and Full-HD TV at home, just for a trial you should buy a BD and check for yourself.

I too, have over 50 -60 Blu Ray and DVDs that I would like to sell or exchange. I wanted to try Qickr as this board has banned such deals.

Can we start a private group -say on Google/yahoo with some core members vouching / inviting people known to them to the group ?
We could also have a rating system and report any any shady sellers.

I have a few hundred VCDs bought (I earned them) when I was in college, didn't buy them to see films rather for the songs......they are still lying almost new.....majority of them are touched only once.......sometimes I see songs in Desktop.......I have no wish to play them in HD Tv..........some of these VCDs are extremely rare in a sense no video format ever released - got them converted from video cassettes......I personally feel VCDs have no value these days considering they are dead in every aspect

BUT

1.There are many films whose DVD prints are epsilon better than the VCDs, still DVDs are much better to preserve
2. Blu rays are here to stay, prices are killer, the lowest I bought is CLEOPATRA from ebay UK approx 650/-

3. Consider a person earning $5K in US, a standard BD is $20 - 0.4% of his salary
an Indian earning INR 50K a standard BD in Indian market costs 1K - 2% of his salary
if the same BD becomes $100 (2%) - how many in US will buy them????

its about how much a common person can afford, we Indians are always looted big time!!!!

4.Buying VCDs is much better a virtue than downloading from torrents - How one justifies that fact that when it comes to develop a HT set up a person is doing everything he can and spending in the line of 50K while when it comes to films 99% of his collection (if you call so) is pirated "BD rips". Can you really blame him? yes and no - in principle a theft is a theft but again if you want to see films what is left to you - no renting and cost of Hollywood films are too high to continue purchasing, 600-800/- per film is too expensive for me as I want to see around 500 Hollywood films (1950s onwards) in HD which I have seen in Desktop in past

In India its difficult to come to a conclusion

And yes never ever write off VCDs, I can assure you there are films (hindi) which if you want you have to contain yourselves with VCDs only, when you are into collection of originals you have love every formats, there are cassettes (whose LP,CD never got released) which one can get to see twice or thrice in his entire life if he periodically visits chor bazar

Last edited:
Thanks for this but even I could have searched it on the net and seen but I wanted just a brief answer not something so detailed. Thanks anyway for the effort.

Though I have done this before, let me try to explain.

1. A movie is shot (originally) using a film. A movie consists of anywhere between 14 to 30 still frames per second, though the human needs just 12 frames per second to see motion.

2. The old days CRT were incapable of processing or displaying still films in one shot. Each frame had to be painted on the screen by scanning an electronic beam. The beam would first paint alternate lines (0, 2, 4, 6...), go to the top of the screen, and paint the missing lines (1, 3, 5, 7...). This technology was called interleaving (720i, 1080i). Thus transmission and display methods followed the interleaving technology.

3. Modern digital TVs, can paint a full screen with a single image. Something like a slide show, run usually at 24fps to show motion. This is called progressive scanning (720P, 1080P....)

Cheers

Last edited:
Though I have done this before, let me try to explain.

1. A movie is shot (originally) using a film. A movie consists of anywhere between 14 to 30 still frames per second, though the human needs just 12 frames per second to see motion.

2. The old days CRT were incapable of processing or displaying still films in one shot. Each frame had to be painted on the screen by scanning an electronic beam. The beam would first paint alternate lines (0, 2, 4, 6...) go to the top of the screen, and paint the missing lines (1, 3, 5, 7...). This technology was called interleaving (720i, 1080i). Thus transmission and display methods followed the interleaving technology.

3. Modern digital TVs, can paint a full screen with a single image. Something like a slide show, run usually at 24fps to show motion. This is called progressive scanning (720P, 1080P....)

Cheers

A simple, lucid and wonderful explanation that my grandma would understand. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk

DVDs have been kept because they can be played to a respectable level of clarity through my Oppo BDP, but VCDs have been cleared through trash bin.

All disks are made of a plastic called Polycarbonate, please do not throw them in the trash can, they can easily be recycled by giving it to your local raddiwala (vendor who collects old newspapers).

3. Consider a person earning $5K in US, a standard BD is $20 - 0.4% of his salary
an Indian earning INR 50K a standard BD in Indian market costs 1K - 2% of his salary
if the same BD becomes $100 (2%) - how many in US will buy them????

its about how much a common person can afford, we Indians are always looted big time!!!!

Your economics is flawed. The average income of an indian is $1330 per annum which is Rs. 5000 per month. You are comparing it to the average income of an american. You are an affluent by indian standards and still sad.
So rather than feeling looted, find ways to increase your income by 5x :D

Your economics is flawed. The average income of an indian is $1330 per annum which is Rs. 5000 per month. You are comparing it to the average income of an american. You are an affluent by indian standards and still sad.
So rather than feeling looted, find ways to increase your income by 5x :D

you got it all wrong, my figures don't include each and every person in India or America, it only considers those who think of buying Marantz or Denon.....every person in India or US don't look to buy HTiB/BD/HTPC/DAC.....hope you get my point

even if I increase my income by 5x that will not stop Indian audiophile enthusiasts importing from amazon.de, will it? thats exactly what my point is......and let me correct you I don't belong to a affluent family, rather its known as "lower middle class" as I need to save for years to buy a product

Arnab

We should not compare it based on salary. we should compare it on what other things cost.

A movie ticket costs about $10 for new showings. So, a $20 BD is roughly the cost of 2 movie tickets. Now, compare the cost of two movie tickets in India with a bluray.

Although, I have seen the price of movie ticket vary a lot between metros and tier 2/3 cities. May be those have catched up and are more same now.

All of you guys, have really increased my knowledge on this topic of Blu ray but guys you are deviating from the topic. I asked apart from giving away your VCD's to friends or relatives what are the other ways to get rid off them? Any more answers anybody.

All of you guys, have really increased my knowledge on this topic of Blu ray but guys you are deviating from the topic. I asked apart from giving away your VCD's to friends or relatives what are the other ways to get rid off them? Any more answers anybody.

if you see a tractor or a truck pass by, which doesn't have reflectors or tail lights, stick two to it's rear. This may save a few lives.

All disks are made of a plastic called Polycarbonate, please do not throw them in the trash can, they can easily be recycled by giving it to your local raddiwala (vendor who collects old newspapers).

The job of segregation and disposal is done by our society sweepers and they do their job right.

Last edited:
Since you really want to get rid of them without giving them away for free, put all of them in a 1 rupee auction on ebay. you get whatever you get. Make sure you specify shipping properly, there is a chance that it might go for 1 buck and then you end up paying for shipping from your pocket.:lol:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back