What to do with DVD's and VCD's which are not used?

Frankly Sam, I would suggest you don't waste your time here. We will not allow you to sell media here, and even if you offer the VCDs free including shipping, no one is going to be interested. Try somewhere else. If you think VCDs have any value today, you really have to rethink. As others have said, it is complete junk. When I can get a DVD for Rs.40, why in heavens name would I bother with a VCD? Blu-Ray have started selling for 400 odd, and they will sell for 200 by year end. VCD is a dead technology, not supported any more. It is sheer luck that all DVDPs play VCDs. I think only Moser Baer is manufacturing VCDs any more anywhere in the world. Though I just cannot understand why they are doing that. Makes absolutely no sense.

Cheers

Cheers

I dont agree on this completely. In US still u can find VCDs, even very old magnetic tapes and casettes in all media shops. This is becuase people doesnt want to loose the originality.
During 1990's movies were available in VCDs. Those time story was very important than visuals. So u can still enjoy old movies in VCDS.

But in recent movies Visuals are more than story line. So definitley Blueray matters.

Last edited:
I dont agree on this completely. In US still u can find VCDs, even very old magnetic tapes and casettes in all media shops. This is becuase people doesnt want to loose the originality.
During 1990's movies were available in VCDs. Those time story was very important than visuals. So u can still enjoy old movies in VCDS.

But in recent movies Visuals are more than story line. So definitley Blueray matters.

While we are digressing from the topic, imho the vcd was never a "generation" in usa. Whatever is/was available is in Indian shops selling mostly Bollywood stuff. MPAA and studios do not support VCD as a medium because it does not offer adequate content and copyright protection.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

The US market gave VCD a skip. They jumped straight from VHS to DVD. Although Hollywood studios did release lots of VCD's for asian market. I remember Aiwa selling their VCD systems in India with 20 or 30 free Hollywood VCDs. Those were all original, studio released VCD's.

The US market gave VCD a skip. They jumped straight from VHS to DVD. Although Hollywood studios did release lots of VCD's for asian market. I remember Aiwa selling their VCD systems in India with 20 or 30 free Hollywood VCDs. Those were all original, studio released VCD's.

ya i had that system my dad brought .

aiwa with 20 free hollywood or bollywood vcd , i chosed hollywood and 20 bollywood audio cds .

that system was great back then , i am still using the speakers to my bedroom tv, but the main system is dead .even after many repairs it doesnt work for more than 1 month . actually my dad wanted to repair to play audio cassetes which he has about 500 .

I had given away for free 235 original DVDs, i had spent around a lac of rupees to procure them.

Further i had spent around Rs.2,000/- for courier and packing material charges. It was a very tough task to pack and send the DVDs to 28 members spread in various cites.

In-fact there has been at least 1 more member who gave away his DVDs for free while that is a another story that other members gave away for free various audio + video items.

V

Vinay gave away over 100 original DVDs and paid for the courier himself.

Guys,

Giving away things, etc., is subjective, personal and depends on many factors. Giving away stuff for free after spending a substantial amount may not suit everyone.

Also, this cannot be set as a benchmark just because a handful of members did so! It is not sensible to insist on this.

my 2 cents!

Last edited:
I think in about a decade or two there will be no hard copies in form of blue ray, DVD, etc.

The option to watch movies will be via download and will be a paid service which will work at least 50/75% cheaper then the hard copies.

V

I think blu-ray needs to gain more popularity as a data storage as DVD's do and we need to see more blu-ray drives usage in computers as well. We would then probably see the prices coming down.

Correct me if I am wrong here.

Cheers!

For buying movies the biggest problem is that most of us watch a movie only once so we feel it is not worth the spend unlike music which we can listen over and again.

V

To be honest, most of us Indians think twice before spending (and most ppl are konjuus) and do not welcome change. They are happy with their ooooold VCDs. ;)

Some of my co-workers who earn close to 70K are unwilling to buy DVDs as they think VCDs are good enough.. that's a fact. I don't think they have even thought about BluRay format. :sad:

The downloads are available for free but one has to incur cost as follows.

• Internet Charges
  • External Hard Disk
  • Electricity
  • Computer Wear & Tear
  • Etc
V

Guys, I just want to know your opinion. Why do you guys actually buy these HD movies when yeah they are available for free on the web. Its not that I support torrents or I am against it but I just want to know your opinion. It might change my opinion as well.

Last edited:
The 1080P rips of 10/14GB are very good and a delight to watch via projector etc.

The Internet connections is excellent and in no way pathetic with as good as no fall from subscribed speed. I think in smaller cites there could be problem about these Internet issues.

It is true to get HD audio is difficult but one can make up in other ways, one of them being good acoustics. The point is often we can not achieve everything, one may be using a blue ray disc but may not have any acoustics or fair quality of audio + video equipment or not having a quality environment to watch the movie etc.

The piracy is not good of which everyone agrees but many a times there is no choice. In most walks of life there is something or the other wrong. For example if the screen costs much less then many of us may prefer to pay in cash and may not take the bill to evade taxes.

The best way out is to make downloading legal with a cost, sooner done the better, which will be great for all concerned.

V

At the risk of being repetitive and mundane (when other have said everything), I state my own reasons for buying genuine:

- I have a decent HT setup and I would like nothing less that top quality
- I had downloaded 700mb rips earlier and I found that while they were OK to watch on a laptop, when projecting them 100" wide on screen the quality sucked
- No Dolby Digital or such audio in rips
- Never ever tried BD-rips but I suspect that they also suck in quality
- True 1080p rips may be all right but can one imaging downloading such a rip over the pathetic internet connection speed?
- Finally, I, much like many others here, want to have only good quality stuff
- I do not subscribe to the idea of piracy but not because of the reasons the studios say

There are people who just want to see that content regardless of the quality. They are very satisfied with even VCDs (as the other thread posts said).

As regards to the Ten-HD quality vs. Blu-Ray quality, the BD is much better as manoj.p said. BD will be better than any HD-DTH because of the following reasons:

- As manoj said, BD's have much higher bit-rates, lesser compression and better quality
- HD-DTH is 1080i whereas BD is 1080p
- HD-DTH will, at best have 5.1 surround whereas BD will have HD Master sound (Dolby TruHD or DTS HD Master Audio or uncompressed PCM) and in many cases it will be 7.1 channel

If you have a BD player and Full-HD TV at home, just for a trial you should buy a BD and check for yourself.

For buying movies the biggest problem is that most of us watch a movie only once so we feel it is not worth the spend unlike music which we can listen over and again.

V
Actually, I buy a movie only when I am pretty sure that it is really worth collecting, or I shall be watching it over and over. But it is usually the case of "man proposes, God disposes". So I cannot truthfully claim that I watch all my DVDs/BDs more than one. But at least 70% of the movies have been seen multiple times.

I too wonder how people watch the bad print. Their idea matters one thing, that is to see the movie on first available instance.

I and many others will not watch a movie till we get a excellent quality of print, even if that means a waiting period of 3 months because at any given time we have enough stock of movies which are still to be watched.

V

It took me a long time to make my wife understand the difference, and today, she just throws away a bad print and waits for a good print to be available in the market.

talk of quality, I am not able to withstand SD channels anymore. I always check if my projector got out of fosuc.

talk of quality, I am not able to withstand SD channels anymore. I always check if my projector got out of fosuc.

True, it is becoming increasingly difficult to watch anything in SD. On top of that SD picture is skewed (faces look broader) in almost all bigger flat panels, unless you reset the res each time.

Cheers!

True, it is becoming increasingly difficult to watch anything in SD. On top of that SD picture is skewed (faces look broader) in almost all bigger flat panels, unless you reset the res each time.

Cheers!

It is always best to watch SD in CRT TVs rather than LCD/LED's. Also for SD, the CRT's have better sharpness.

you can sell them at a shop called C.E.X (Customer Entertainment Exchange) they have a shop at the New Phoniex Mill in Krula
they buy all types of Electronics and media so u can exchange and also buy second hand stuff

hopes this helps

you can sell them at a shop called C.E.X (Customer Entertainment Exchange) they have a shop at the New Phoniex Mill in Krula
they buy all types of Electronics and media so u can exchange and also buy second hand stuff

hopes this helps

Where is this shop? I am located in Delhi. do they accept courier or shipping?

hopes this helps

Their prices are bit on higher side for used ones.. 800Rs for a bluray which you can buy for 1k or 1100 (New) in market but yeah good option to dispose off your old collection..

Last time i went there with Fast n furious dvd boxset which i bought for 1500Rs a year back and i was offered 100Rs for that.. :p

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back