What to do with DVD's and VCD's which are not used?

Last edited:
The VCD's which I bought like 4 years ago which belonged to T series, Shemaroo etc were all Rs 150.

It is a painful truth that what we purchased some time ago at a premium is not worth even 10% now. I too have a few older DVDs that I would like to sell and replace by Blu-Ray. But I doubt if anyone will buy them. I wouldn't buy them myself - so basically that's it.

I personally never favoured VCD as a medium - ever! I always felt that they were crap. I have a number of VHS cassettes (yes, I still own and use a VCR :)) and my original VHS quality was/is better than VCD - at least on CRT TV. Maybe, I have about 8 or 10 VCDs and that too of Marathi drama/movies that are generally not available on DVDs.

Now that I have seen Blu-Ray, I don't even think of the DVD - much like all HFV members here.

400 rs for blu ray ? where ? u mean used right ? lowest blu ray i got was the hurt locker thaat too 454 rs mrp 699 coz diwali sale.

and by end of year for rs 200 ?? i dont think so. indian blu ray market is still poor , amazon does more business than any indian website or store in india , i read in times of india ka economic page.

i visited planet m which had the omen for 1499 and it was like in worst condition and ezone had for 999 that is new mrp .

still at many places stock is old.

u can get for 400 @ amazon or and 200 at usa or uk but india i dont think so.

I just ordered X-Men Anthology box set, Toy Story 1-3 box set and The Omen 1-3 box set from Amazon, UK for GBP 40.76 that includes shipping. So I got 10 movies for Rs. 3425 odd, and that makes it less than Rs. 350 per movie. :licklips:

I think blu-ray needs to gain more popularity as a data storage as DVD's do and we need to see more blu-ray drives usage in computers as well. We would then probably see the prices coming down.

Correct me if I am wrong here.

Cheers!

Sony does NOT want BluRay piracy and hence it is keeping prices of blank BluRay media and drives insanely high.

to andy78, yes VCDs still costs more than 100/- .

Take a look Titanic VCD at 169/- on flipkart.

and MI 3 VCD is 254/- !!!!

Why do you think we are still buying them?

To be honest, most of us Indians think twice before spending (and most ppl are konjuus) and do not welcome change. They are happy with their ooooold VCDs. ;)

Some of my co-workers who earn close to 70K are unwilling to buy DVDs as they think VCDs are good enough.. that's a fact. I don't think they have even thought about BluRay format. :sad:

I just ordered X-Men Anthology box set, Toy Story 1-3 box set and The Omen 1-3 box set from Amazon, UK for GBP 40.76 that includes shipping. So I got 10 movies for Rs. 3425 odd, and that makes it less than Rs. 350 per movie. :licklips:

Do the customs charge anything for GBP 40 ? How do u pay? credit card?

Do the customs charge anything for GBP 40 ? How do u pay? credit card?

Customs duty is like Russian roulette but generally if the package is marked as gift and total value is less than 5,000, the duty may be exempt.

And yes. I pay by credit card. Pay pal is also an option.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk

Ditto here mate. Not just bluRay, they are surprised I buy even DVDs (or the occasional AudioCDs) for that matter.

"Why buy when it is free?" - that is the philosophy my friend. A collegue of mine at office constructed his new home and purchased two lcd tvs. He received a BDP free. He knew that I buy a lot of bd's. He asked me whether there are blu-rays that have multiple films on them like they have six films on one DVD.

Last edited:

haha thats what i said bro u can get via amazon or any foreign site which ships , but not indian release.

"Why buy when it is free?" - that is the philosophy my friend. A collegue of mine at office constructed his new home and purchased two lcd tvs. He received a BDP free. He knew that I buy a lot of bd's. He asked me whether there are blu-rays that have multiple films on them like they have six films on one DVD.

this my dad too first thought like that , he said this when moserbaer had 3 movies in dvd , so he thought 9 to 10 movies aaram se aa jayenge.

but later he came to know about size of hd films and quality of hd films to dvd films .

some blu ray have multiple films though , only 2 . like i have elmariachi and desparado in one disc and i think even matrix 1and 2 are in 1 disc mostly those movies which are old and companies dont care to restore it as best quality

everyone torrents these days. They are surprised at office that I buy blu-rays from amazon uk.

Ditto here mate. Not just bluRay, they are surprised I buy even DVDs (or the occasional AudioCDs) for that matter.

Guys, I just want to know your opinion. Why do you guys actually buy these HD movies when yeah they are available for free on the web. Its not that I support torrents or I am against it but I just want to know your opinion. It might change my opinion as well.

Have you ever watched blu-ray disks on a Full HDTV with a good Home Theater system? The excellent PQ and the HD audio will simply blow you away. The 2-3 GB BRRips can't match the blu-rays both in PQ and SQ department. Also it is a pain to download full Blu-Ray ISOs. I support all those who buy original disks.

There are two kinds of people. One; people like us who understand and appreciate the nuances in video and audio. Two; there is the other kind who cannot make out any difference between a 700MB AVI, and a FullHD Blu-Ray. Every time I invite some of these people home, I get stunned when they say they are very happy with a 700MB AVI file, and they cannot make out any difference - all this after spending full 2 hours watching a Blu-Ray and drinking my liquor!!

It took me a long time to make my wife understand the difference, and today, she just throws away a bad print and waits for a good print to be available in the market. And she refuses to see anything on a screen that is less than 42 inches. Because of IPL, I am relegated to my laptop, and a 29 inch CRT! Of course I have my HT system, but have been feeling too lazy to take the effort of putting it on.

Cheers

1. because if nobody buys or sees in cinema hall, there would be no movies.
2. because we are addicted to higher quality video/ audio. And yes, we can see/ hear the difference.
3. life is too short to watch a great movie on crappy hardware. Cheaper alternate is to just go to a cinema.

Guys, I bow down to you. The best video quality I have seen in my life till now is Ten HD on my airtel digital tv and if that is what all the blu ray discs offer then it sure is nothing less than stunning.

Guys, I just want to know your opinion. Why do you guys actually buy these HD movies when yeah they are available for free on the web. Its not that I support torrents or I am against it but I just want to know your opinion. It might change my opinion as well.

God Quality is one thing. The other is because we have to support studios that make quality movies/develop games.

This seems to be an interesting discussion to me !! So, I would like to write my own opinion on this. (You can also call it an 'HD' chapter of my own biography).

I follow you. I used to buy DVDs few years ago, when I used to think that having all good movies on DVDs is the best thing to do, if one has to watch or make his/her collection of good movies and it was the era till 2009, when I had never heard about BluRay/HD and have just started earning. (First time, I read an article about HD-DVD and BluRay competition, while giving the aptitude test of an MNC.)...yeah..most important thing to mention...I had bought only few Hindi movies DVDs at very nominal cost of Rs. 40-70..and to watch those DVDs, I used to rely upon my friends' laptop/DVD players. Seriously, I bought DVDs without having my own laptop/player.

It was in October 2010, when I bought my first laptop and I got to know about HD/BluRay stuff and started watching BluRay movies on my 14" laptop.

Have you ever watched blu-ray disks on a Full HDTV with a good Home Theater system? The excellent PQ and the HD audio will simply blow you away. The 2-3 GB BRRips can't match the blu-rays both in PQ and SQ department. Also it is a pain to download full Blu-Ray ISOs. I support all those who buy original disks.

After reading a lot about BluRay/HD/720p/1080p/HDTV, I became so proactive that I never downloaded low quality BRRips.
yeah, it's pain to download BluRay movies, so I decided to take that challenge !!
I never want to say that I didn't have enough earning power to afford BluRay and other related stuff ;-)
I always looked for BluRay rips of 1080p/DTS or DTS-HDMA/H264. At an average, I own a BluRay movie of around 10 GB.
Yeah, it's pain to download BluRay rip and it takes lot of time and patience. So, I invested in time and patience, followed by a high speed internet connection which costs me around 1700 upto a FUP limit of 75 GB. (However, could never be caught on exceeding this FUP. Thanks to the system fault of my broadband provider.) I used to pay 1700/3 for internet, as it's the one of the biggest benefit of living bachelor life during your initial career., it's been around 1.5 years so far and I own more than 2 TB collection of 1080p movies, out of which 210 movies are IMDB toppers. So, all in all I spent around (1700/3)*18= Rs. 10,200 for this collection.
If you include the hard disk cost as well to preserve these movies, Then I would like to add Rs. 12000 more.
I still don't have my own house and it may take couple of years more, So I feel it's hard for me to preserve my own collection of anything !!

I have recently bought a 40" HDTV and an entry level Home Theater (Onkyo HT-22HDX). Thus, I have gradually started enjoying my collection of movies.

Even if anybody call it a wastage, I'll simply think I have wasted around 22000 Rupees on travel and liquors in last 1.5 years.

There are two kinds of people. One; people like us who understand and appreciate the nuances in video and audio. Two; there is the other kind who cannot make out any difference between a 700MB AVI, and a FullHD Blu-Ray. Every time I invite some of these people home, I get stunned when they say they are very happy with a 700MB AVI file, and they cannot make out any difference - all this after spending full 2 hours watching a Blu-Ray and drinking my liquor!!

It took me a long time to make my wife understand the difference, and today, she just throws away a bad print and waits for a good print to be available in the market. And she refuses to see anything on a screen that is less than 42 inches. Because of IPL, I am relegated to my laptop, and a 29 inch CRT! Of course I have my HT system, but have been feeling too lazy to take the effort of putting it on.

Cheers

I too have friends, who never want to accept that watching a movie on BluRay/HD is different than watching it on CD/DVDs.
They don't even accept the fact that there is a difference between watching a normal SD channel and an HD channel. No offence to my lovely friends !!
(Despite the fact that, they have 32"/40" HDTV in their houses.)

At the end, I would like to thank all those open-source content providers in the world of internet !
Also, I would like to apologize to all the Hollywood Studios and Producers. One day, I'll come of age and definitely start giving values to them by spending on their movies.
Please note, I have a habit of watching all the good Hindi and English movies in Theater on weekend and in last 1.5 years I have watched more than 100 Hindi and English movies in Theaters. (Hope this point save my face.)

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back