What to upgrade first?

Wow!!! What a thread.. Finished reading all the 11 pages like a novel.

Thanks to @Akshit2111 , @tuff, @dheerajin , @prateekatasniya @MaSh, @Mi_10, @drkrack and many other contributors.

@Akshit2111, it is my humble opinion. Been there, done that. I have lost around 20K USD in search of that elusive system without understanding the basics. As many have suggested, the most important thing in music is the quality of the source. If the source is crap, the most expensive system will produce only crap. Period.

I spent whole 2 months this year like a full time job to get my source correct. They are mostly 80s & 90s music. Once I set it right, a simple Iball Tarang could achieve what my expensive systems couldn't achieve when source was a crap. You are putting your efforts and money in getting quality devices. I request you to put similar efforts in getting quality source.

I have a question. The job of a power amp is to just amplify the signal. It doesn't have any sound signature on its own. Few have mentioned that it gives nice mids and highs. How come a power amp can alter the sound quality?

Guys
I need a little help!
I connected my crown..the first problem i faced was that the power cord was very short and i did not have a power outlet so i had to really juggle up all the wire abd everything to somehow connect my speakers to check the amp. Now i dont know why ever since i have connected my amp theres been a pungent smell in my room like that of an equipment failure.. i dont know why this is happening...i had some problem inserting the wire into my amp as some of it was exposed.. ill attach the pic here.. also i saw alot of videos on youtube where customers said that they never saw the fan come on. But in my case it came on like today itself..

Now on the sound front the voice is really sweet though not too loud and i feel the base a bit lacking(i guess in the bass front only a sub can satisfy me)

Hope you guys can help :)
Is it a pungent smell or a wire burning smell to be precise?

DO NOT USE THE AMP. DISCONNECT IT FROM POWER IMMEDIATELY. Please check if your speakers work fine with your previous setup. I too faced a similar situation before. My speaker's coils were burnt giving that wire burning smell. Seek other's advice before using your system.

Thanks to @Akshit2111 , @tuff, @dheerajin , @prateekatasniya @MaSh, @Mi_10, @drkrack and many other contributors.

@Akshit2111, it is my humble opinion. Been there, done that. I have lost around 20K USD in search of that elusive system without understanding the basics. As many have suggested, the most important thing in music is the quality of the source. If the source is crap, the most expensive system will produce only crap. Period.

I spent whole 2 months this year like a full time job to get my source correct. They are mostly 80s & 90s music. Once I set it right, a simple Iball Tarang could achieve what my expensive systems couldn't achieve when source was a crap. You are putting your efforts and money in getting quality devices. I request you to put similar efforts in getting quality source.

I have a question. The job of a power amp is to just amplify the signal. It doesn't have any sound signature on its own. Few have mentioned that it gives nice mids and highs. How come a power amp can alter the sound quality?
Changes sound quality as much as or maybe more than the source.

I dont know whether its a wire burning smell.. but i guess it is that only.. but its a quite strong one..

Easiest way to check. Remove the new component and check. Does the system sound and smell the same? If yes, you know what was cooking.

Crown fan coming on? Does the amp feel hot too? Also, please get a few banana plugs, Amazon basics are also better than using bare wires in your case. Those exposed cores are a recipe for disaster.

MaSh

Easiest way to check. Remove the new component and check. Does the system sound and smell the same? If yes, you know what was cooking.

Crown fan coming on? Does the amp feel hot too? Also, please get a few banana plugs, Amazon basics are also better than using bare wires in your case. Those exposed cores are a recipe for disaster.

MaSh
On the contrary the amp did not feel hot at all ! And the smell is still prevalent .. my current system was functioning absolutely fine there was absolutely no smell..

On the contrary the amp did not feel hot at all ! And the smell is still prevalent .. my current system was functioning absolutely fine there was absolutely no smell..
You mean the smell is there even after taking the crown out of the chain? Check your power cable plugs and any extentions you are using. Make sure you are properly grounded and free of static.

MaSh

my crown fan has never come on.(yet), and my speakers are power hoggers. Check all the electrical outputs and pin point the source of the smell.

my crown fan has never come on.(yet), and my speakers are power hoggers. Check all the electrical outputs and pin point the source of the smell.
Then what could be the possible reason it came on? Its been difficult to gauge as to where is the smell coming from..

You mean the smell is there even after taking the crown out of the chain? Check your power cable plugs and any extentions you are using. Make sure you are properly grounded and free of static.

MaSh

It persisted for a very very long time.. like there was some even in the night as well whereas i had taken off all the equipment in tge afternoon. Do bare wires smell like this?

How did you improve your source?

There should be no smell unless you are cooking something. Check by unplugging everything and start one by one.

How did you improve your source?
I lost my original cassette collections accidentally. I have been buying my favourite music in various form and from various sources for the last 20 years. I had collected more than 7000 tracks, same track with 5 to 10 versions. This year I converted everything into 320kbps MP3. Listened to each version of the same track multiple times to pick the best one. Now I have about 1200 tracks with good quality. They are 80s and 90s music. I am not sure about your era. If anything after 1995, it should be very easy. This forum is a treasure. Contact like minded members for help.

It persisted for a very very long time.. like there was some even in the night as well whereas i had taken off all the equipment in tge afternoon. Do bare wires smell like this?

Were the power cables unplugged too? Bare speaker cables don't smell, but they can touch a metal surface and short.

MaSh

Guys got the issue resolved.. properly clipped the wires.. crown is getting better with every song being played.. my gains are set to 3 o clock with my phone volume full.. been playing fron past 2 hours.. no heating issues no fan coming on... finding bass on a lighter side and trebble on a higher side but i guess this can be tweaked in the settings.. music has sweetness too.. initial impressions are good but ill reserve my final judgement for a day or two.. from what i can tell from my little experience is that crown is every bang for your buck.. thanks prateek thanks tuff thanks dheeraj and everyone who suggested this amp :) hope my experience personifies going ahead :)

I lost my original cassette collections accidentally. I have been buying my favourite music in various form and from various sources for the last 20 years. I had collected more than 7000 tracks, same track with 5 to 10 versions. This year I converted everything into 320kbps MP3. Listened to each version of the same track multiple times to pick the best one. Now I have about 1200 tracks with good quality. They are 80s and 90s music. I am not sure about your era. If anything after 1995, it should be very easy. This forum is a treasure. Contact like minded members for help.
You really are a music buff :)
Appreciate your interest and passion.. i am a bass heavy freak.. love hip hop !

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back