What TV parameters & specs would be key to check for use as a Monitor?

crashnburn

I am currently saving the big spend for
a High end Monitor (maybe Thunderbolt/ USB-C) from the US next year..

For now, I am thinking a budget 40-43 / 50-55" TV for now.

Can you share any thoughts/ insights.. on the following?

What parameters / factors should be key to check on TVs for use as Monitors?

Of what I read so far, Croma 4:4:4 @60Hz is key
I read the Nits being higher also helps with daylight
Also, Anti-Glare / less reflective glossy is a factor
IPS for viewing angles

How about the following that I havent checked?
Contrast Ratio?
Read that HDR10 / HDR+ etc for better color range?

Any other factors/ suggestions?

@lightgamer - Could you please share some inputs, given your gaming/ screen insights.
The only TV I'd consider as a monitor is the LG CX 48". Unfortunately, that's not available in India. I'm planning to get the next-gen C1 48"/55", a deeper (3 feet) desk and then wall-mount it to the edge of the desk. You get 4k, 120Hz, 4:4:4 with 10-bit HDR, low(6 ms) input lag and super-fast response time.

I mostly hate IPS panels because they suck while watching YouTube due to terrible viewing angles. VA panels are good for that but have poor uniformity for the web. OLED is the only thing I'd like.

I am currently saving the big spend for
a High end Monitor (maybe Thunderbolt/ USB-C) from the US next year..
I get what you mean but this is stop gap for me so I am hoping to get something "budget" for the mean time as a stop gap.

Just that I haven't looked at "TV" specs and terms in a long time so I figured there's some "tech parameters" you're more familiar with.
Or I'll have to start from scratch to read up and understand each of the tech terms.

As per RTings, the Brightness (higher nits) and Anti Glare (non Glossy) were some key factors.
The only TV I'd consider as a monitor is the LG CX 48". Unfortunately, that's not available in India. I'm planning to get the next-gen C1 48"/55", a deeper (3 feet) desk and then wall-mount it to the edge of the desk. You get 4k, 120Hz, 4:4:4 with 10-bit HDR, low(6 ms) input lag and super-fast response time.
Yes, but its not an option for me or you, right now.
I mostly hate IPS panels because they suck while watching YouTube due to terrible viewing angles.
From what I remember IPS used to have the best viewing angles? Am I remembering this wrong?
VA panels are good for that but have poor uniformity for the web.
Do elaborate ala Uniformity?
OLED is the only thing I'd like.
I was not asking what you would LIKE :D :p .. I would like a 120 inch 8K Rollable OLED or 8K Laser UST Projector :p

I was hoping to navigate through the crap limited budget stuff in Indian market with some folks who have more insight here and pickup a TV that would temporarily work out for me - I've had a 30" WQHD 2560 x 1600 from the US since 2008 - Dual Link DVI D (pre DP era)- rare few folks would get it back then. But its had issues so had to pack it up.

From the forums I saw that you're few of the "knowledgeable" guides on this forum.

I might've played similar role if I was a bit more active online. Drat.. I'll have to start reading a bunch again.

I get what you mean but this is stop gap for me so I am hoping to get something "budget" for the mean time as a stop gap.

Just that I haven't looked at "TV" specs and terms in a long time so I figured there's some "tech parameters" you're more familiar with.
Or I'll have to start from scratch to read up and understand each of the tech terms.
Most TVs suck for PC usage. They usually don't have 4:4:4 chroma, have horrible input lag, and a fairly bad response time. Especially for gaming, TVs are a no-go.

The only TVs currently good for PC usage are LG's OLEDs. Not only does LG frequently update their firmware to support PC like 4k 120 fix, VRR fix etc; it also supports PC exclusive functionality like G-sync.
As per RTings, the Brightness (higher nits) and Anti Glare (non Glossy) were some key factors.

Yes, but its not an option for me or you, right now.
Brightness is not a big factor for normal PC usage. Most 200-300 nit displays do fine for SDR workflow. About non-glossy, you won't get that in a TV. Look for a monitor for that.
From what I remember IPS used to have the best viewing angles? Am I remembering this wrong?
For a monitor, viewing angles are the least important thing since you're going to view it head on. And while IPS has wider viewing angles than TN or VA, it's not comparable to an OLED.

My big problem with IPS is dark uniformity (backlight bleed) and bad contrast ratio.
Do elaborate ala Uniformity?
VA panels generally have more 'patchy' whites. Basically, the screen is not uniformly white. This is generally not an issue with TVs as the content is more colourful, but for PC usage you're gonna look at either vast patches of white (browser) or grey/black in dark mode.
I was not asking what you would LIKE :D :p .. I would like a 120 inch 8K Rollable OLED or 8K Laser UST Projector :p
I'm saying an LG OLED is the only TV I'd consider to pair with my PC. If you can't afford/get that, better go with a monitor. You can get LG 32UL750 (32", HDR 600, 4k 60) for 44-45k most of the time and the 27GN950 (27", 750 nits, 4k 144 Hz) for 56-57k. Those will do much better with a PC than any other TV in that price class.

If you want a more budget-friendly temporary screen for gaming, you can get a 1440p 144 Hz monitor. Samsung is selling the curved ones for around 25k.

Links to these monitors:
LG 32UL750: Currently overpriced, but it often sells for 45-47k

LG 27GN950: Should go down to about 56-57k in sales. But definitely not overpriced.

Samsung LC27J: One of the best around this price. 1440p 144Hz and curved
I was hoping to navigate through the crap limited budget stuff in Indian market with some folks who have more insight here and pickup a TV that would temporarily work out for me - I've had a 30" WQHD 2560 x 1600 from the US since 2008 - Dual Link DVI D (pre DP era)- rare few folks would get it back then. But its had issues so had to pack it up.
I'd stick with your monitor or get one of the 2/3 models I've described above and wait for the new OLEDs. If LG doesn't release C1 48" in India even next year, I'll get the 55" and a deeper desk.
From the forums I saw that you're few of the "knowledgeable" guides on this forum.

I might've played similar role if I was a bit more active online. Drat.. I'll have to start reading a bunch again.
Thanks for the compliments :)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back