What volume (dB) is safe for action movies ???

Agree....TV may not be that loud and hence....the least you can do is watch with the AVR which is on all Channel stereo mode.....it may not be true surround but will sound a bit better than TV speakers for sure....(may require manual setting tweaking for Bass + treble and possibly EQ)

oops...I went up to 0 DB in my new Yamaha RX 583. That was because initially I was feeling the sound for my Dali Zensor 3 is not great enough. However that could be because of the source. Now I have settled around -15 DB for netflix movies and yeah around -18 to -20 for continuous music. I think the speakers are beginning to sound better from the day I initially switched them on.

Agree....TV may not be that loud and hence....the least you can do is watch with the AVR which is on all Channel stereo mode.....it may not be true surround but will sound a bit better than TV speakers for sure....(may require manual setting tweaking for Bass + treble and possibly EQ)
along with volume, the quality is quite low in dth channels. many details are missing, and it sounds flat.
But yes, all channels sterio mode is not true surround, but it gives a better effect !!!

After a long time , I was listening to a CD.. It was pretty loud even at -22.5dB . So , it looks like even the volume will depend on what is the source.
Also, when ever I watch a BD, i am usually at -15dB.

Guys... its really surprising to know 0 dB on AVR is the reference SPL for HT.
I just watched JOHN WICK movie (BR rip) in TAGA TAV606 SE. The system is auto calibrated with YPAO.

There is no distortion at -15 to -12dB, but some gun shots are "too loud" :eek:(even without a sub) that you can't dare to increase any further.
I literally felt that the center channel is going to blow. (may be its natural and im just scared unnecessarily...i dont know) :oops:

Since 0dB is a reference, it should be quite common for audio professionals to listen at that volume.
I am just wondering how they can manage at such a loud volume....
Or, .... may be my room (11x12) is sounding too loud ???

Guys... its really surprising to know 0 dB on AVR is the reference SPL for HT.
I just watched JOHN WICK movie (BR rip) in TAGA TAV606 SE. The system is auto calibrated with YPAO.

There is no distortion at -15 to -12dB, but some gun shots are "too loud" :eek:(even without a sub) that you can't dare to increase any further.
I literally felt that the center channel is going to blow. (may be its natural and im just scared unnecessarily...i dont know) :oops:

Since 0dB is a reference, it should be quite common for audio professionals to listen at that volume.
If you feel the speakers are loosing its way in the sound, you can lower the volume.
Which avr are you using? You don't want the avr to be clipping as few sounds in movie tracks have spikes of high db which can damage the speakers if the avr is clipping..

Cheers.

I tested it in Taga Tav606 Se + Yamaha Rxv681.

Particularly John Wick movie sounded very loud at -15dB, but other movies didn't sound that loud. But I didn't see any clipping in avr, or distortion in speakers. Gun shots are very very loud, and I felt a bit worried about center channel.

(Of course we will listen at a comfortable loudness only)

The point i want to make is...., if 0dB is reference, any avr+speaker set should not be in danger even if it sounds very very loud at 0dB. Is it right technically ??! Do they design the stuff that way ???

Last edited:
I tested it in Taga Tav606 Se + Yamaha Rxv681.

Particularly John Wick movie sounded very loud at -15dB, but other movies didn't sound that loud. But I didn't see any clipping in avr, or distortion in speakers. Gun shots are very very loud, and I felt a bit worried about center channel.

(Of course we will listen at a comfortable loudness only)

The point i want to make is...., if 0dB is reference, any avr+speaker set should not be in danger even if it sounds very very loud. Is it right technically ??! Do they design the stuff that way ???

Well, No one hears it at 0db cause it that will be border line to clipping as there won't be much headroom left in the avr for sudden spikes in movie sound tracks.

I saw your setup specs, you will be fine with -15db volume, if you find the center speaker volume abit louder, check the speaker levels in the avr to see that the center isn't too high compare to the front 2 speakers. If it is try lowering it abit as long as you can hear the dialog in movies.

Thank you Insane79,

Most of the times i stay under -20. It is comfortable. -15 occasionally i go.

But this is what I want to confirm. That nobody generally use the setup at 0dB in general. Thank you ☺️☺️

That nobody generally use the setup at 0dB in general.

I don't know for sure.. But assuming that room is fairly large, say your listening position is more than 10 feet from the front speakers, and with inefficient speakers, there are chances, you might get near to 0 dB on AVR volume scale.. (but that is very unlikely)..

In my room, for some movies i never had the need to go beyond - 30 dB on AVR.. For some movies, it goes to - 20 dB.. Very rarely there was a need to get to - 10 dB (or) single digit volume scale..May be something to do with the way content is recorded..

In my setup, DTS/DD/DD+ movies/TV series usually -30 to -25db, DTSHDMA/Dolby TrueHD -25 to -20 db, very rarely -15 db. Stereo music -30dB

Hi,

I am also facing the same problem in my V683. After YPAO for movies need to go to -20db ( Specially not getting proper dialogues ). But for Music -25db is loud....

I don't know for sure.. But assuming that room is fairly large, say your listening position is more than 10 feet from the front speakers, and with inefficient speakers, there are chances, you might get near to 0 dB on AVR volume scale.. (but that is very unlikely)..

In my room, for some movies i never had the need to go beyond - 30 dB on AVR.. For some movies, it goes to - 20 dB.. Very rarely there was a need to get to - 10 dB (or) single digit volume scale..May be something to do with the way content is recorded..

I don't keep my AVR volume in - dB settings, (wife & myself get confused with whole negative dB levels) my reply might be bit confusing for everyone here, I will use % of Max Volume possible by the AVR, which is 100%.
My volume needed to be usually above 75% before absorption panel room treatment for dialogues to be easily audible, Contrary to my assumptions I keep the Volume below 65% mostly after the dampening Room treatment.

More than the volume level in AVR it is the dB level recorded at your listening position matters a lot in My Opinion. I try to keep the level(iOS App based SPL measurement) between75 - 85 dB Max at the listening position. I adjust the Volume if I find it too loud or low in a usual manner.

I have done this App based SPL measurements in INOX/PVR at Hyderabad theaters, when I am stuck with boring action movies with center seating position :). The movie theaters have Volume levels measured at Listening area more than 95dB to 110dB, Dolby Atmos theaters the value is consistently above 100dB, in intense action sequences the values touch easily 106dB mostly. The measurements with actual SPL meters will be more reliable in any case. Anyone with technicalities of professional audio Experience could help us with their inputs.

I don't keep my AVR volume in - dB settings, (wife & myself get confused with whole negative dB levels) my reply might be bit confusing for everyone here, I will use % of Max Volume possible by the AVR, which is 100%.
My volume needed to be usually above 75% before absorption panel room treatment for dialogues to be easily audible, Contrary to my assumptions I keep the Volume below 65% mostly after the dampening Room treatment.

More than the volume level in AVR it is the dB level recorded at your listening position matters a lot in My Opinion. I try to keep the level(iOS App based SPL measurement) between75 - 85 dB Max at the listening position. I adjust the Volume if I find it too loud or low in a usual manner.

I have done this App based SPL measurements in INOX/PVR at Hyderabad theaters, when I am stuck with boring action movies with center seating position :). The movie theaters have Volume levels measured at Listening area more than 95dB to 110dB, Dolby Atmos theaters the value is consistently above 100dB, in intense action sequences the values touch easily 106dB mostly. The measurements with actual SPL meters will be more reliable in any case. Anyone with technicalities of professional audio Experience could help us with their inputs.

even i am unable to understand about -ve DB levels. i use to keep around 75% of volume for clear dialogues otherwise dialogue is not audible.

in my setup i need to go to about -20db before music is loud, movies esp drama/non-action ones even -5db can be soft even after i raised Center channel after doing audyssey. there's no clipping at that stage but still wonder why so little headroom. i think audyssey can be sometimes unreliable.

another doubt - what happens if you listen to a poor quality recording at high volumes? can speakers get damaged by that. i was listening to a song downloaded from youtube that day & hence it wasnt a very good quality track & there was some distortion. does a speaker get affected by that or is it all just 1s & 0s to it?

wife & myself get confused with whole negative dB levels

Same here.. But later understood that after some reading.. dB scale is actually good, which makes you aware most of the time the approx SPL that you are listening to..

I have done this App based SPL measurements in INOX/PVR at Hyderabad theaters, when I am stuck with boring action movies with center seating position :).

Good one.. Think, theaters have 10dB more than HT.. 85 dB SPL as standard..

another doubt - what happens if you listen to a poor quality recording at high volumes? can speakers get damaged by that. i was listening to a song downloaded from youtube that day & hence it wasnt a very good quality track & there was some distortion. does a speaker get affected by that or is it all just 1s & 0s to it?

I have watched many movies (BR Rips).. The one that sounds cracking (or) a kind of hiss is present where the audio bit-rate is of lower quality (MP3, AAC).. With higher bit rates, hard to mark out between a good (or) poor recording mix..

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back