What's function of Pitch Adj in Technics SL1210 - MK5?

manua

Hi,

Can someone please tell me what's the function of the "pitch adj" slider which is there on teh right side base of the turntable?Also there is a button named "reset".

Can anyone please help.

Regards,

pm me your mail i d bro. i ll send u some link.
also, copy pasting this from a reliable site:
"Review

The SL-1210 has to be the most professional and most reliable turntable on the planet."
is yours 1210 mk5 or mk 5g?
by the way reset button resets factory set default pitch and switching it off will set the stylus to user adjusted setting.
pitch setting is usually for dj tts and is used for making slight adjustments in spinning speeds.
not really a cup of tea for a vinylphile.

Last edited:
It is used for ensuring that the speed is correct. Something that audiophiles tend to be rather fussy about!

The simplest way of doing this is with a circular card which is marked in such a way that the markings appear to stand still under 50hz electric lighting. I don't know if it works under fluorescent?

Hi,

Can someone please help me with this as I have a feeling that my Technics MK5 is running slower.

I am told as its Quartz technology the speed is set perfectly.Is it correct?If not how do I set the speed correctly?

The pitch function helps you make small adjustments to speed i.e., you can make the platter rotate faster or slower. To find out if the platter is rotating at the correct speed, use the stroboscope that is provided with your TT. The platter of the 1210 has markings on the periphery, which you need to observe under the light from a stroboscope. When light from the stroboscope shines on the platter's markings, they form a pattern.... when the speed is correct, these markings form a pattern that seems to stand still....you will need to adjust the pitch till the pattern stands still. The procedure is something like that.....read about it in your manual?

Alternatively, ou could also use a free iPhone or Android app but you will need a record with a 3150 Hz test signal. They are available in India through TLR (Jochen):
Dr.Feickert Analogue Platter Speed - a free App for Android and iOS

Disclaimer: I have never owned a TT with similar functionality, just sharing what I have learnt :)

Last edited:
The pitch function helps you make small adjustments to speed i.e., you can make the platter rotate faster or slower. To find out if the platter is rotating at the correct speed, use the stroboscope that is provided with your TT. The platter of the 1210 has markings on the periphery, which you need to observe under the light from a stroboscope. When light from the stroboscope shines on the platter's markings, they form a pattern.... when the speed is correct, these markings form a pattern that seems to stand still....you will need to adjust the pitch till the pattern stands still. The procedure is something like that.....read about it in your manual?

Alternatively, ou could also use a free iPhone or Android app but you will need a record with a 3150 Hz test signal. They are available in India through TLR (Jochen):

Disclaimer: I have never owned a TT with similar functionality, just sharing what I have learnt :)

A good friend of mine, Raghav (of ignite/chennai) once told me that it is better to use florescent tubelight for the pitch setting rather than use the strobe light...i've used this method ever since with great results...but I also noticed that the setting matches that when done with the stobe light. This is on my SL3200..wonder what the difference is?

Thanks for your replies.

But my doubt remains on one thing and that is when I bought the Technics SL1200 MK5 I was told that it was built on Quartz Technology and its a factory set perfect speed where there is no need to do anything.If that is so then why do I need to do this excercise to check the speed?

2ndly in the Pitch control there is a setting at ZERO and then one can go up and down using the slider.Is it that by default the slider has to be in ZERO to get the perfect speed at which the platter should rotate?

I am sorry but these questions do come to my mind which I wish to get clarified.

Thanks for your replies.

But my doubt remains on one thing and that is when I bought the Technics SL1200 MK5 I was told that it was built on Quartz Technology and its a factory set perfect speed where there is no need to do anything.If that is so then why do I need to do this excercise to check the speed?

2ndly in the Pitch control there is a setting at ZERO and then one can go up and down using the slider.Is it that by default the slider has to be in ZERO to get the perfect speed at which the platter should rotate?

I am sorry but these questions do come to my mind which I wish to get clarified.

Quartz Motor Technology is definitely better in ensuring correct speeds. They come factory set, but good to do a check after you have set up your turntable.

Correct speeds means that the tracks play at the right speed - neither too fast nor too slow. On familiar tracks, you would be able to tell if the platter speed is incorrect - when the song sounds slower/faster than you are used to. This is when you check the speed to confirm your doubts and fix it using the pitch adjustment. The Slider does not have to be in ZERO, it has to be at the position where the bars appear still.

Which free strobo discs do I download and print as what hz works in India?

And after downloading how does it work?Can you please guide me.

India works under 50Hz. Use this one (you will need to become a member if you already aren't) since the SL1200 has only two speeds 33 1/3 and 45 RPM.

http://www.vinylengine.com/ve_downloads/index.php?strobe_50hz_33_45_rpm.pdf

And just follow the instructions in the link I posted earlier.

Thanks for your replies.

A quartz lock servo controls the rotation frequency of a turntable by detecting pulses of light passing through a slit inside the motor. A quartz lock servo and direct drive motor work together to ensure high-precision rotation. I suggest you dont worry much about the speed. Just let the pitch control comfortably rest at ZERO and enjoy your vinyl. You can increase or reduce the tempo (speed) of your music by going above or below the ZERO point. You must keep in mind that the SL1200 series, although designed for Hi-Fi listening in the beginning was adopted as staple by DJs, the world over. The pitch control is on there to help DJs increase or decrease the tempo of music while mixing. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Quartz Motor Technology is definitely better in ensuring correct speeds. They come factory set, but good to do a check after you have set up your turntable.

Correct speeds means that the tracks play at the right speed - neither too fast nor too slow. On familiar tracks, you would be able to tell if the platter speed is incorrect - when the song sounds slower/faster than you are used to. This is when you check the speed to confirm your doubts and fix it using the pitch adjustment. The Slider does not have to be in ZERO, it has to be at the position where the bars appear still.

India works under 50Hz. Use this one (you will need to become a member if you already aren't) since the SL1200 has only two speeds 33 1/3 and 45 RPM.

Library Downloads | Vinyl Engine

And just follow the instructions in the link I posted earlier.

Thank u so much.

But as I clik on the link this message is shown :

System Message

The file appears to have been called from an unauthorized website.

"Only links called directly from pages on the Vinyl Engine or HiFi Engine websites can be processed. If you have received this message after following a link from one of these sites, please report the problem in the download section of the forum."

A quartz lock servo controls the rotation frequency of a turntable by detecting pulses of light passing through a slit inside the motor. A quartz lock servo and direct drive motor work together to ensure high-precision rotation. I suggest you dont worry much about the speed. Just let the pitch control comfortably rest at ZERO and enjoy your vinyl. You can increase or reduce the tempo (speed) of your music by going above or below the ZERO point. You must keep in mind that the SL1200 series, although designed for Hi-Fi listening in the beginning was adopted as staple by DJs, the world over. The pitch control is on there to help DJs increase or decrease the tempo of music while mixing. Hope this helps.

Ok.So as you suggest I should set the pitch control to ZERO and then play the Turntable.

Hi,

Can someone please help me with this as I have a feeling that my Technics MK5 is running slower.

I am told as its Quartz technology the speed is set perfectly.Is it correct?If not how do I set the speed correctly?

Hi Manua,

The speed is set for 50 hertz (cycles per second) or 60 hertz by the manufacturer, based on the power supply provided in the area, as the case may be. Variations in the load or in the frequency (hertz) of the power supply leads to variations in the speed or angular velocity (pitch) of the turntable. This variation in pitch is corrected using the pitch control. I hope this is of help to you.

All the best.

Last edited:
TThe platter of the 1210 has markings on the periphery, which you need to observe under the light from a stroboscope. When light from the stroboscope shines on the platter's markings, they form a pattern.... when the speed is correct, these markings form a pattern that seems to stand still....you will need to adjust the pitch till the pattern stands still. The procedure is something like that.....read about it in your manual?

stroboscope = ordinary incandescent bulb connected to 50Hz mains!

Simple and cheap technology :)

But... fluorescents? CFLs? Somebody on this very forum told me not to use them, as the frequency they output is not the same as the incandescents. This I do not know.

Thats interesting Thad, did not think the frequency from the incandescent bulb mattered. How about LED? IIRC, member quad has replaced his Dual's stroboscope with a LED.

@manua: You are getting that error on Vinylengine because you are not logged in. Become a member of Vinylengine and then click this link: http://www.vinylengine.com/ve_downloads/index.php?strobe_50hz_33_45_rpm.pdf

Last edited:
For the most part you dont have to mess around with the pitch control for the Technics. You have to visit this only if its not at 0 setting or you feel its rotating faster or slower.

The purpose of the pitch control is adjust the speed of the platter rotation (typically used by DJs or recording folks to adjust the recording speeds).

The "quartz" is used as a basis for locking mechanism in the Technics 1200 series to ensure that the platter speed is accurate and consistent over a period of time.

if you really want to play with the control. YOu can watch the below video which is quite informational.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-NcdnCL41Y

Thanks for your replies.

Hello Friends

IMO there is no need of any outside strobe sheet to be downloaded

the platter is already with the markings with the one which has on the strobe

the red florescent light is already there to the left of the platter to a small knob

the light falls on the platter and once the platter is rotaing, all you need to check is that the broad dotts reamain still , there are two kids of dotts,

one is for the 33 rpm and other one is for 45 rpm, the are just one above other

check the picture

Redirect Notice

Hello Friends

IMO there is no need of any outside strobe sheet to be downloaded

the platter is already with the markings with the one which has on the strobe

the red florescent light is already there to the left of the platter to a small knob

Hi Tanoj, please read my post (quoted again for your reference) :). I have mentioned that Technics 1210 already has the markings, stroboscope etc. I only suggested the strobe printout and the iPhone app as an alternative.

Alternatively, you could also use a free iPhone or Android app but you will need a record with a 3150 Hz test signal. They are available in India through TLR (Jochen):

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back