What's the best 1080p TV

srikanths

Can anyone please comment on the best 1080 TV in respect to picture quality irrespective of budget among the top brands such as LG, Samsung and Sony. Any Good TV in Panasonic, Videocon and Phillips which can be considered better than the top 3 brands. Am not interested in brands such as Leeco, Micromax, Infocus etc. Where some are online only brands or low picture quality brands or non existent after sales services brands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can anyone please comment on the best 1080 TV in respect to picture quality irrespective of budget among the top brands such as LG, Samsung and Sony. Any Good TV in Panasonic, Videocon and Phillips which can be considered better than the top 3 brands. Am not interested in brands such as Leeco, Micromax, Infocus etc. Where some are online only brands or low picture quality brands or non existent after sales services brands.

Forgot to mention the screen size. Am looking for 55 inch 1080 tv

Got a few in LG OLED, LG OLED TVs - Future of TV with Dolby Vision HDR 4K | LG India.

The best in terms of PQ, if you can get HDR onboard then there's nothing like it.

Thanks. You are absolutely right. But my query was regarding best 55 inch 1080 tv. If LG would have made 1080 OLED I would have preferred it. But in 2016 LG OLEDs are available only in 4K as per my knowledge which are very costly.

Thanks. You are absolutely right. But my query was regarding best 55 inch 1080 tv. If LG would have made 1080 OLED I would have preferred it. But in 2016 LG OLEDs are available only in 4K as per my knowledge which are very costly.

It does say FHD there and also 55... so correct on both counts.

It does say FHD there and also 55... so correct on both counts.

Yeah you are right as per LG website. But when I went to few electronic stores (not lg store but stores like bajaj electronics) only 2 OLED TVs were available and both are 4k. E6 (3.5 lakh) and B6(2.7 lakh). Will visit a LG store and check if 1080 OLEDs are available. But another thing I observed in above LG website link is cost of FHD OLED is almost equal to 4k OLED which is disappointing.

Yeah you are right as per LG website. But when I went to few electronic stores (not lg store but stores like bajaj electronics) only 2 OLED TVs were available and both are 4k. E6 (3.5 lakh) and B6(2.7 lakh). Will visit a LG store and check if 1080 OLEDs are available. But another thing I observed in above LG website link is cost of FHD OLED is almost equal to 4k OLED which is disappointing.

@srikanths: Why are you specifically looking for FHD TV? 55" is a decent size for 4K and budget is not constraint for you.

There is no comparison for OLED. If I was able to accommodate 55 inch TV in my room I would have gone for LG OLED anytime.

@srikanths: Why are you specifically looking for FHD TV? 55" is a decent size for 4K and budget is not constraint for you.

There is no comparison for OLED. If I was able to accommodate 55 inch TV in my room I would have gone for LG OLED anytime.

Hi. I should have been more elaborate. My understanding was FHD range is about 50k to 1.3 lakh in general for 55 inches. So I meant within that budget. Anything about that it is 4k budget which is different and starts from around 1.4 lakhs for reputed brands.
Regarding 4k vs 1080p i am in confusion as i read in many reviews that due to below reasons 4k tv is not needed.
1) non availability of 4k content
2) most of our channels are still sd or hd only.
3) cost difference
4) at a distance both look the same and difficult to differentiate.
5) our internet bandwidth not sufficient for 4k even if content is there.

Though i am attracted towards 4k still wanted to find out the best 1080p tv and then see its picture quality.

Hi. I should have been more elaborate. My understanding was FHD range is about 50k to 1.3 lakh in general for 55 inches. So I meant within that budget. Anything about that it is 4k budget which is different and starts from around 1.4 lakhs for reputed brands.
Regarding 4k vs 1080p i am in confusion as i read in many reviews that due to below reasons 4k tv is not needed.
3) cost difference

Though i am attracted towards 4k still wanted to find out the best 1080p tv and then see its picture quality.

Actually, you do get UHD and 4K TVs from around 70K, though they would be around 43 inches. But going by that I would assume 55 inches to be within reason.

4K is better, it will even make your 720p and 1080p content look much better. And that is without OLED or HDR. HDR will only make it that much better, and OLED is the future (at least as things stand right now).

In other words, if you have the money then simply go for any OLED TV with HDR and 4K. Or with these features at your max budget.

3) cost difference

In my view you are spot on with your thinking. 4k makes sense at current prices only if you are planning to use the TV as a monitor and sitting really really close to it. If you are going to use as a TV sitting at regular TV viewing distance, save the Bucks and get the best full HD TV out there.

MaSh

@srikanths: 4K may not be relevant for small screens but it definitely makes difference in 55" and above. Even on my 49" it's visible. Scenes such as Cityscapes and those with small details look vastly different.

I agree with you that broadcast 4K is scarce for now. I'm sure in 2-3 years it will catch-up. Average lifespan of TV is more than 5 years. My old TV worked for 9 years and was still running. It was Full HD and back in 2007 it was same situation that for 4K today. Therefore I strongly suggest to select the model looking at longer time frame.

Secondly UHD TVs this year are talking about HDR, WCG, improved local dimming techniques and peak brightness. In short they are focusing on picture quality. These parameters do hold water and they are not gimmic like 3D.

Internet bandwidth is a major issue in India. I see that is also changing rapidly. For years I was having a 2 MBPS line and then came Hathway 50 MBPS! It pulls FHD streams without any buffering. 4K does buffer some times.

Lastly the packaged media (Blu Ray) is also adopting new ways. Region protection is removed in UHD Blurays. There is option of digital copies (official). New formats like Moives on Hard Disk (Samsung UHD Video Pack) are being introduced.

To sum up things are changing fast and it's upto you to decide what works best for you...

@srikanths: 4K may not be relevant for small screens but it definitely makes difference in 55" and above. Even on my 49" it's visible. Scenes such as Cityscapes and those with small details look vastly different.

I agree with you that broadcast 4K is scarce for now. I'm sure in 2-3 years it will catch-up. Average lifespan of TV is more than 5 years. My old TV worked for 9 years and was still running. It was Full HD and back in 2007 it was same situation that for 4K today. Therefore I strongly suggest to select the model looking at longer time frame.

Secondly UHD TVs this year are talking about HDR, WCG, improved local dimming techniques and peak brightness. In short they are focusing on picture quality. These parameters do hold water and they are not gimmic like 3D.

Internet bandwidth is a major issue in India. I see that is also changing rapidly. For years I was having a 2 MBPS line and then came Hathway 50 MBPS! It pulls FHD streams without any buffering. 4K does buffer some times.

Lastly the packaged media (Blu Ray) is also adopting new ways. Region protection is removed in UHD Blurays. There is option of digital copies (official). New formats like Moives on Hard Disk (Samsung UHD Video Pack) are being introduced.

To sum up things are changing fast and it's upto you to decide what works best for you...

4K BluRays are Region Free, Saw UBDK8500 being region free, but Region Locks for Blu Ray still exists right ?

Either Samsung K6300 or Sony 800D

Thanks for the suggestion. I have seen both the tvs. K6300 looks fine but it's a curved tv. I prefer flat tv. Regarding 800d I was excited initially. But came to know that sony omitted triluminous display feature in it and reviews pointed that last years model 8xxc was better than current model.

Thanks for your valuable suggestions. You are right. Manufacturers are not giving some features in 1080. I am also inclining towards 4k. Cost difference is 30k to 35k extra for 4k. Will think and decide shortly. I have seen the LG 770t, Sony X850D and Samsung KU6470. Let me know if you have any comments on above models. Or maybe I should create another post.

4K BluRays are Region Free, Saw UBDK8500 being region free, but Region Locks for Blu Ray still exists right ?

Most likely region locks will exist for BluRay and DVDs even on UHD BluRay Players because there is no way to play the content that is already coded on the disk. Having said that, I anticipate studios will not release future DVD/BluRays with region codes.

Manual of Samsung UHD player lists DVD and BluRay Region codes but there is no mention of UHD BluRay Region codes. This confirms above point.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 102
I doubt 720p or 1080p may look better unless TV has strong upscaler.

Actually all the AVRs I have (had) are way better at upscaling than any TV, even expensive Sony premium 4K TV. My recommendation is to get a decent AVR, connect everything to it, and output from the AVR to a TV or PJ.

Coming to the quality, yes it comes down to the quality of the upscaler, but it does make a huge difference when done right. For instance, my Blu-ray of John Wick is so much better in 4K than in any 1080p screen. Has to be seen to be believed. Likewise, the Atmos version of John Wick is again so much better than anything in 5.1. There really is no going back for me on both counts, and most mid-fi AVRs in fact do a fabulous job of upscaling, especially in comparison to more expensive TVs and monitors.

I watch everything via an upscaling AVR these days, that's even for the PC, GPU to AVR to monitor, and having 5.1 audio for even YouTube is not bad at all.

I doubt 720p or 1080p may look better unless TV has strong upscaler.

It depends on the source. For e.g. stored 1080p content or BluRay does look good when upscaled to 4K but broadcast content such as TataSky HD channel does not show any improvement.

I'm using upscaller of Yamaha RX-V677 AVR and not tried TV upscaller.

I have seen the LG 770t, Sony X850D and Samsung KU6470. Let me know if you have any comments on above models.

LG and Sony are IPS Panels and Samsung is VA Panel. IPS Panels have wide viewing angles but lower contrast ratio compared with VA. Also they can not produce deep blacks like VA. Therefore both LG and Sony will not look good in low lights. Sony also does not have local dimming. However being 120Hz TV, Sony will be better at handling motion. I suggest you take demo of both Samsung KU6470 and Sony X850D and decide based on what you feel about their PQ. Personally I feel Samsung will be marginally better than Sony.

Also refer this post http://www.hifivision.com/televisio...ng-43ku6470-lg-43uh650t-sony-kd-43x8500c.html

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back