What's the cheap and best Blu Ray Player

I have one of my friends who is coming over from UK this week. Should I try getting something from there? Will I be able to get it for lesser price from there?
Looks like I will go for Toshiba. Budget is ideally not over 10k. Baiju can you post the links for the Toshiba one and also what's the price?

I believe that there is a firmware update.

I have the same player brought from amazon.de and made it region free with the australian firmware. I can now change the region based on the blu-ray disk that I am going to play. NO hardware kit is required for this item.

Thanks

You have the same model Baiju?
How to make this region free? Is it little difficult.

Its very simple just go thru this thread. Download the files put it onto a usb pendrive and install the firmware to your player and reboot it :yahoo: you now will have the option to set the DVD region so make it "0" which is all region and Blu-ray region set to your desired region 1, 2 or 3. So after this settings all region DVD's can be played without the need to go to the settings. But for blu-ray disks alone you need to do go to the settings page everytime to you want to play a different region blu-ray.

It has a ethernet port so make sure that you do not run the firmware update after this custom firmware. I think you will loose the chances of making it region free, not sure just go thru the site and you might get the answers.

Thanks

It has a ethernet port so make sure that you do not run the firmware update after this custom firmware. I think you will loose the chances of making it region free, not sure just go thru the site and you might get the answers.

Thanks

Isnt that a problem as with most BD players, there are new firmwares due to more complex implementations of Java in the newer disks. So effectively it will work for only a short while. Plus if you have issues, then you will be asked to upgrade and again you lose the region encoding, isnt it?

Isnt that a problem as with most BD players, there are new firmwares due to more complex implementations of Java in the newer disks. So effectively it will work for only a short while. Plus if you have issues, then you will be asked to upgrade and again you lose the region encoding, isnt it?

I think the firmware is released with new updates or the custom firmware works with the new firmware. Some people on the avsforum has verified as well. Yes I think the new releases of manufacturer updates might be useful but you need to loose something for getting something. So I am ok with this draw back and if it all the firmware updates work with the new updates then I think this is going to be a killer player at least blu-ray disks.

Thanks

No Blur-ray player can be 'hacked' to become region free for Blu-ray. You have to add a small board. This is the nature of data acquisition and transmission of Blu-ray. Any claims made to the contrary are incorrect.

Cheers

u need to update the uk blu ray player of toshiba with australian firmware which makes it region free

u need to update the uk blu ray player of toshiba with australian firmware which makes it region free

Hmmm. Interesting. I did read the various forums and it looks as if Toshiba has made a player that can be made region free for both DVDs and Blu-ray. Impressive! Is this the way all Blu-ray players will go in the future?

Cheers

Quite a few Panasonic BDPs can also be made region-free via a firmware update. Forgot the link but Google search should work.

It would be really nice if BDPs are made region free this way - nice and clean. I never understood why there should be region coding at all these days when e-shops are everywhere and one can import. Then again most BD's are region free anyway.

In addition to Toshiba BDX 3200, Sherwood BDP 5004 and Onida BDX 1100 are also region free players with remote control hack to change the region of both dvd and blu-ray. Also there is no need to install any custom firmware. For panasonic models an enhanced firmware is avilable, but you need to pay for it.

It is difficult for Indian region C players. Sony is the most difficult. The mod chips are designed and known to work with mostly with Europe/Region B players. I wrote to Stegen Electronics and asked whether their chip could modify Panasonic India BDT-110. They said "No".

A region free player is the ideal way to go. But if you try to import a region-free player from US, Europe, it works way expensive. The cheapest is Rs. 25k or so, I believe (haven't checked the latest prices).

But there are other options too:

- Most BD's are region free and hence region locked player may not matter much
- Have two players - a Region A player and a Region B player. Region C is not required.

Hmmm. Interesting. I did read the various forums and it looks as if Toshiba has made a player that can be made region free for both DVDs and Blu-ray. Impressive! Is this the way all Blu-ray players will go in the future?

Cheers

ya i read in Blu ray forum, UK version is region locked and Australian version is region free but you can make it region free if you update it via Australian version. must be Toshiba doesn't know about it. coz then y would they make uk version locked . so i don't think it can happen in future Toshiba definitely will rectify

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back