What's the maximum number of movies you have seen in one year?

I watch one or two movies per week. My net connection takes two days to download a 2.5 GB BBRip file on my bsnl 2mbps night unlimited package. So when I return home every weekend, I take two or three HD movies and watch it on my HT. For selecting movies, I use the imdb rating. Usually I refer to the parental guide and take home only those movies appropriate for family. For R rated movies, I download 700MB BRRip files for watching on laptop. I have also registered in IMDB and rates the movies I watched. This helps in tracking the movies. The favourite movies list in HFV is another source to know about good movies. I watch all type of movies like Action, Sci-Fi, Drama, Romance. I usually watch only hollywood movies and a few Malayalam movies (most of which are plain crap). I intend to watch more movies, once I update my LCD TV and speaker system. Songs, I listen while working on laptop and I don't spend time for dedicated listening.

1566 movies from 1992 onwards...
Wow, you diary them?

But, not so strange. My wife has diaryed all the concerts I've been to over the past couple of years --- and real rasikas even keep song lists.

(it was over a hundred in 2010; only 90-something in 2011. Music is my idea of a night out :) )

Yes, I diary them ..... then with time found IMDB and have been keeping a catalog on it since then .... :)

Wow, you diary them?

But, not so strange. My wife has diaryed all the concerts I've been to over the past couple of years --- and real rasikas even keep song lists.

(it was over a hundred in 2010; only 90-something in 2011. Music is my idea of a night out :) )

Yep! Used to maintain a notebook at first, but moved to a database once I bought my first PC (my first notebook was unfortunately lost though along with some useless school notebooks :mad:). Nowadays, still maintain my own database due to habit as well as use IMDB and iCheckMovies.

iCheckMovies works both ways. I try to gain awards in a few lists where I am close to the requisite number of movies and end up catching some very good movies. Sometimes, I go through the pain of sitting through terrible movies I wouldn't otherwise watch. That's because I have a terrible policy in place - Unless I watch it from beginning to end (no fast forwarding, no switching off in the middle), I don't consider it fit to be 'checked' :eek:

PS: I guess I and sam do the same thing, that's why he replied on my behalf ;)

Last edited:
Yep esantosh is a major contestant when it comes to an all time avg or total numbers .......Both of us keep a track on that counter on icheckmovies .......:D ... I am loosing by a few I guess, But I must confess now I am spending more time with TV Series these days than movies ........ :)

If watching movies on a PC with a decent set of speakers count, here's my story:

Schooling to 12th - About one movie a month in cinemas - Nothing great, never knew what I was watching either :lol:
End of 12th - About 60 movies.

UG -
During UG days we had LAN in our hostel rooms and about 4000 students on campus shared all that they had. I had access to an infinite database of movies and were only 10 mins from a mouse click. So my real movie watching started here.

1st Year - Started with one movie a week and in 2 weeks time went to one movie a day.
Total in 1st Year - 200 movies

2nd Year - A lot of extra curricular activities and the movie count came down.
Total in 2nd Year - 120 movies

3rd Year - The laziness crept in. Was in my room all the time and hence movies were on a roll. I managed 2 to 3 movies during weekends and one during week days
Total in 3rd Year - 300 movies

4th Year - Last year on campus and nothing to do. This is when I reached the peak. I even had a marathon for 2 weeks when I watched 3 to 4 movies a day. Covered a lot of classics during this phase.

Total in 4th Year - 400 movies

So in four years of my UG, I covered around 1000 movies. I saw movies of different countries, various genres and in languages I never heard of as well.

I then decided to use the "Shift + Delete".From the day I graduated (been 2 years), Ive seen about 20 movies (cinemas, TV, PC - all inclusive).
Reasons for the shift:
1) I hardly find movies to my liking which I haven't already seen. :p
2) Lack of time
3) Movies has been replaced by Music, Guitar and RC

PS: @sam9s - If you want more competition, I have friends who can beat us by miles. There were people on campus who dedicated all four years to pure movie watching. Being in campus can make people do insane things. :lol:

should be done with 2000 movies odd.. and all of then saved in backup in HDD's and dvd's..
this count starts from mid 2005 before that.. had no pc.. only watchin in theatres so count will be very less.

yeah..few movies i did cheated for i had no clue about them and fast forward did helped. but a major chunk was actually watched...

i still go back home around 11ish and watch a movie a day.. though now 1080p is the addiction.. back in 2005-2009.. dvdrips rescued me..

i still remember donny darko.... still a unsolved mystery for me.. probably i am dumb to understand that movie..

Last edited:
My Mom used to diary (a big telephone index, actually) the movies we used to watch from when I was in kindergarten, till about the time I graduated from college.

My Dad is also a major movie buff, and he used to take me to the movies every weekend, right from the time I could be carried around. Just me and Dad: Mom was not too interested in Hollywood.

We used to watch a movie nearly everyday from the time we could afford a VCR (when I was in the 5th STD, I think). My movie watching dropped off to just one in a couple of weeks during the time I was doing my graduation and my post-graduation, and the first couple of years I started working (about 7 years in total).

Since then I've been watching movies mostly by myself (2-3 a week till 2009, and then one nearly every day since then), and I stopped keeping track of what I was watching. I should have written them all down. I started doing that in an Excel sheet just over the last 2 years. I've been rating the movies on IMDB for the last 5-6 years, and keeping track of what I watch on icheckmovies for the last 2 years or so.

It's good to know that my movie habits can't really be called unhealthy, going by what most of you here seem to be doing, heh heh.

How do you remove time to see so many movies after all you must be having a working career.

It is great to come across someone with so much of a passion for movies. Congratulations.

V

I guess that's close to 170 movies in a span of Three and a half months. Wondering whats the closet anyone has come to reaching these numbers here :) Hope I am not the only insane one !!

Hydra,

I too often watch movie daily or a foreign TV serial between Monday to Friday. On week-end's i see to it that i catch up other routine things and take a break from movies.

I have not been to a cinema hall for over 5 years.

I like watching movies while it is a sort of compulsion too because of the nature of my work.

V

I was watching 30-36 movies a month till December 2012. I'd watch a movie every weekday, and 2-3 on Sundays. Yep, I rarely used to go out or do anything else (except listen to music, and do a bit of reading).

From 01-01-2012, I decided I'd go out at least once a week and meet people, that I'd spend more time reading, and also that I'd get back to exercising regularly.

I've been doing just that, and now my movie watching (at home) is down to 20-22 a month. I do watch movies in theaters most weekends, but I'm not counting that, as I rarely enjoy watching movies in theaters nowadays.

Too many movies, too little time.

I too am in your boat, for me also there is no socializing, even if there is one, i will skip that and prefer to see a movie.

For movie watching, which is your set up, 5.1 & LCD or something else and from where do you source your movies?

On several occasions i have liked movies which were having IMDB rating as low as 4.

V

I have never really enjoyed socializing but ever since I started this movie marathon I have become even more of a recluse. Half of the times my girl friend joins in but honestly speaking I prefer watching movies alone- specially the movies which involve concentration/are slow paced.

Thats what I do too. IMDB is a big big help in deciding movies. My aim was to finish all movies with a rating of 8 and above but sometimes even the 6 pointers turn out to be as good if not better than the higher rated ones !

After seeing this thread, I created to an account in icheckmovies.com and started checking the movies I have already seen. I went upto 130 pages and its already above 400.

Is there any better way to check the movies in icheckmovies.com than browsing through all 9000 pages one by one. Is there any search based on language?

i watched my last movie in a hall about 13 years ago. i forget the name but it was about a black navy diver (cuba gooding junior) and his trainer (robert di niro) and some typical hollywood moments.
last year i watched about five movies on my lap top. some of them just to catch up on what everybody consider 'great' movies.
i found Tokyo Story particularly moving.
guess i am not a movie guy after all.

PS: @sam9s - If you want more competition, I have friends who can beat us by miles. There were people on campus who dedicated all four years to pure movie watching. Being in campus can make people do insane things. :lol:

I am sure there are, but I think its agreeable that college and a bachelor life is the only time when you actually can devote yourself on all your extra curricular activities ......... thats what I meant "maintaining that avg is difficult" .... your own post is a good example ..... you watched around 1000 movies in just 4 years and then just 2 in the next two ,,,,,

Plus there are other factors .... I have seen people watching movies on laptop, pda, mobile, with what ever prints they can get hold off , camm prints, DvD Scr, u name it. Plus movies on TV, even if you have missed like first half an hour ...... I dont count all these. My every movies that has gone in to the kitty was either a proper VHS tape (back in the ninties), or is a proper DVD/DVDrip or a BD/BD Rip on a proper TV, (not even a laptop is counted) .......

My every movies that has gone in to the kitty was either a proper VHS tape (back in the ninties), or is a proper DVD/DVDrip or a BD/BD Rip on a proper TV, (not even a laptop is counted) .......

Same here. Also those watched in cinema hall.

I too am in your boat, for me also there is no socializing, even if there is one, i will skip that and prefer to see a movie.

For movie watching, which is your set up, 5.1 & LCD or something else and from where do you source your movies?

On several occasions i have liked movies which were having IMDB rating as low as 4.

V

I too am related to the movie business so for me movie watching serves as a learning medium too. Moreover for people in the media business who are self employed taking time out for movies isnt a big problem... the bigger problem is how to spend the immense free time constructively ;)

My setup is 5.1 connected to LCD and the source is my PC. The content is mostly 4-8 GB BR rips. I too take a risk sometimes with low IMDB rated movies but I have found out anything below a 5 is more often than not a total disaster !

@all: I am humbled and relieved that I am not the only one with an insatiable appetite for the motion pictures. The records that some of you have here is mind boggling. My standing ovation :)

Same here. Also those watched in cinema hall.

Yep that too, I forgot that, but only in English, I remember I saw an animated movie with my kid in Hindi .... that also didnt go in to my kitty until I rewatched it in English on my LCD. I think it was Finding Nemo .... I dont remember exactly...

Hydra,

It is quite often that the parent's liking etc get merged with their children during the growing years.

For example Santosh is too much into audio & video especially DIY, therefore his son too will mostly grow up in liking such wonderful things.

I too agree that watching movies is a great habit especially when we get so much to learn while the entertainment value often has new peaks and surely keeps us protected to a extent from getting into bad things in life.

V

My Dad is also a major movie buff, and he used to take me to the movies every weekend, right from the time I could be carried around. Just me and Dad:

We used to watch a movie nearly everyday from the time we could afford a VCR (when I was in the 5th STD, I think). My movie watching dropped off to just one in a couple of weeks during the time I was doing my graduation and my post-graduation, and the first couple of years I started working (about 7 years in total).

Since then I've been watching movies mostly by myself (2-3 a week till 2009, and then one nearly every day since then), and I stopped keeping track of what I was watching. I should have written them all down. I started doing that in an Excel sheet just over the last 2 years. I've been rating the movies on IMDB for the last 5-6 years, and keeping track of what I watch on icheckmovies for the last 2 years or so.

It's good to know that my movie habits can't really be called unhealthy, going by what most of you here seem to be doing, heh heh.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back