Which 3D TV to buy? Sony 40EX720 or LG 42LW5700

jain1980

Hi,

I am on the fence to buy a 42" 3D TV. After some research, I have finalized the LG 42LW5700 and Sony 40EX720. I have demoed both these panels in the showrooms and was particularly blown away by the LG LW5700. It's 3D performace was exceptional. Even the 2D performance was on par with the Sony. The LG provided a wider view angle thanks to its IPS panel. Only thing that is stopping me from getting the LG is the brand. Somehow the 4 letters "Sony" looks rich in any living room.:) I have a the following queries :

1) Are there any negatives in the LG panels that should not make me choose the LG?
2) Is it safe getting either of these brands from the Grey market?
3) What should be a good price if I buy it with Bill and warranty form an authorized dealer?
4) Which one should I buy?
5) How do these 2 TVs compare for viewing SD content?

People who have seen both these panels in action, please put in your valuable suggestions.

Cheeers

Last edited:
really bro go for the Sony 40NX720 just 10k more than 40ex720
and for that you will get:
Opti Contrast Panel - CORNING gorilla glass Panel
Backlight module - Dynamic edge LED (i think so???)
Full HD 3D
Audio Output Power - 30W (10W x 3)
HDMI / Audio In - 4 (2 Side/ 2 Bottom) like the high end tv's got
Intelligent Presence Sensor
Presence Sensor with FACE DETECTION
Energy Saving Switch

I think you should decide on Active vs Passive! The technology is so different!
Simple math says go for LG cause you get 4 glasses + I think they sell for less than 1k locally. With the Sony you get 1 or 2, they cost over 5k each!!

Also I just bought a LG 5700 yesterday! Will be delivered today! For me passive tech is far more easier on the eyes and the wallet!

Most would agree that passive is better,but before jumping on 3d ,you should decide which one has the best pq in 2d which you would be watching most of the time,both lg and sony are good,dont get carried away by 3d,do you have 3d blu ray player,or do you intent to buy 3d blu ray discs regularly to get most out of your rs 100k tv? Its a shame that most manufacturers only put high end features on a 3d led tvs. Buy it from authorized dealer only,for 40 inch led with 3d you shouldn't be spending more than 80k,which is a lot of money

I recently bought a LG LW6500, I was not too keen on LG as a brand because of the past experience with LG quality. I also own a sony 25 inch flat CRT, for many years and my parents had a LG 29 inch CRT. Sony was way ahead in picture quality and sound. So before I went to the market I was quite sure anything but LG :lol:

However, I ended up buying LG because

1. More screen 42 vs 40

2. 2D quality at par, infact, with IPS and 200 Hz I thought LG had an edge

3. 3D, LG glasses are easier on the eyes - less eye strain with passive and lighter (weight wise)

4. Liked 2D to 3D conversion of LG.

5. However, LG lags Sony on the sound front. Sony speakers are better but at the end of the day one has to go for a HT system.

6. Last, but very important, LG had very good reviews both on this site and also on the net in general.

In short I felt that I must set aside my bias against LG, it seems they have improved a lot from their CRT days. So I went ahead. Hope that helps.

Most would agree that passive is better,but before jumping on 3d ,you should decide which one has the best pq in 2d which you would be watching most of the time,both lg and sony are good,dont get carried away by 3d,do you have 3d blu ray player,or do you intent to buy 3d blu ray discs regularly to get most out of your rs 100k tv? Its a shame that most manufacturers only put high end features on a 3d led tvs. Buy it from authorized dealer only,for 40 inch led with 3d you shouldn't be spending more than 80k,which is a lot of money

I have a Full HD hard disk media player and planning to use that to play downloaded 3D content. I hope it works this way. Not sure 3D movies works the same way as normal 2D movies if played from a hard disk media player. Correct me if I am wrong. I watched both the panels side by side but couldn't make out any difference except the fact that LG had slightly more natural colors. Others who have seen or used any of these TVs, please share your experience.

I think you should decide on Active vs Passive! The technology is so different!
Simple math says go for LG cause you get 4 glasses + I think they sell for less than 1k locally. With the Sony you get 1 or 2, they cost over 5k each!!

Also I just bought a LG 5700 yesterday! Will be delivered today! For me passive tech is far more easier on the eyes and the wallet!

Can you please share a review on this unit if you have played with it a bit? :)

Also what price did you get it for?

Althoth passive is better than active,one should know that resolution become half in passive ex.1080 become 540.This is the only drawback.I will sajjest 6500 because it have local dimming tech.

go bangkok you get half a price and you can change tv in two years if technology changes.

You know active REAL-D is in Q

Althoth passive is better than active,one should know that resolution become half in passive ex.1080 become 540.This is the only drawback.I will sajjest 6500 because it have local dimming tech.

go bangkok you get half a price and you can change tv in two years if technology changes.

You know active REAL-D is in Q

Two things

1) LG passive 3D is now 1080p certified. A new firmware will enable 1080p Full HD 3D soon

2) LW6500 does NOT have local dimming, it is an EDGE LED set.

loading features.

please explen about local dimming

Attachments

• LG3DTV.pdf
    39 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
loading features.

please explen about local dimming

As I mentioned earlier, the LW6500 is not a local dimming TV, the "local dimming" setting is nothing more than a gimmick in this TV. LG does not have any local dimming model in India yet.

I joined this website just to reply to this thread :) . I hope my reply helps all the geeks out there who are as confused i am.
Okay. Now my comparison went way beyond. I compared Sony vs Samsung vs LG.
I love sony for the look, the brand, the appeal. Samsung has been my all time favorite in almost everything it manufactures.
I never ever took LG. I've been a complete tech savvy and i love gadgets. But somehow, LG never really attracted me for anything...

But to my surprise, after a comparison on over 10 grounds, i will finally go for the LG 42LW5700 leaving behind Sony 40EX720 and Samsung UA40D6000SR.

The Advantages of LG's above model over Sony and Samsung are:
1. Every feature of that like web browser, apps etc. is there.
2. Almost same number of USB ports, HDMI ports, Inputs/Outputs etc.
3. 2" Size Advantage as it is 42".
4. Motion-sensitive magic controller remote, which is only available with LG as of now.
5. The LG TV also employs Film Patterned Retarder glasses that are as light as 16 grams i.e. hours of viewing without an headache.
6. No batteries, no charging hassles, no electromagnetic rays - passive 3d glasses rock.
7. Cheap Glasses. 4 coming already free with the set.
8. TV's Internet browser includes an option for clearing cookie and history just like your computer's browser.
9. At a price of 80-81k, its the cheaper thatn the other options.
10. It plays .MKV, .AVI, .MPG etc. all formats available. a 4,00,000 sony tv wouldn't play though. Samsung does play max.
11. Cheaper on accessories.
12. 2d to 3d conversion feature which works great.
13. Really flicker free 3D.
14. EDGE LED with On spot Local Dimming.

VALUE FOR MONEY.

Also, i can assure you all of it cos i've personally taken a USB Drive and tested all TVs personally at a friends video store.
Now the only point which i find in LG which can be ignored by maximum of us is that it doesn't really look as great as Sony or Samsung.
But its 2011 guys. Its not the brand anymore, its the product.

LG official link for the full specs of the set

For me, this LG TV is a total winner to even my surprise. I still can't believe Sony and Samsung are behind LG in the 3D LED technology + the amazing accessories. LG has invested more on its features and technologies rather than on the looks or stuff you'll never ever use.

I am going for this TV in the coming week for sure bundled with a Sony HT. Don't want to invest too much on a HT and i'm getting a pretty decent one in 15k. Please advice if you guys know about some better option in the same price package. Killer !

If there is anything more you guys can throw light on, please do that. Comments Invited. Thanks. :)

As I mentioned earlier, the LW6500 is not a local dimming TV, the "local dimming" setting is nothing more than a gimmick in this TV. LG does not have any local dimming model in India yet.

@avmaxfan, i don't usually take it upon myself to rebut individual comments but the disdainful nature of yours has got me charged up a bit.

I don't intend any offence but please do read up the reviews of this TV before forming an opinion on the "gimmickness"/"absence" of local dimming on it.

CNET - LG Infinia 47LW5600 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Chad B - https://clevelandplasma.com/store/2011_television_reviews/lg_xxlw5600

AVForums - LG LW550 (47LW550T) 47 Inch 3D LCD TV Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

HDTVTest - LG 47LW550T/ 42LW550T (LW550T) Cinema 3D TV Review

BTW, I own the 42 inch version of the LW5700 and I can confirm that the Indian version does have local dimming.

@Reds4ever

See this is like the early "LED TV" days where manufacturers marketed their TVs as being "LED" TVs when in reality they were LED - backlit and not true LED.
The LG LW6500 as I mentioned earlier, uses micro dimming which is NOT true local dimming.
Quoting lines from the FlatpanelsHD review:

"LG LW6500 also has a LED local dimming function in the menu but its not an actual local dimming function. LW6500 utilizes Edge LED which means that the LED are placed around the LCD panel and not behind. LG plans to release some backlit LED models with true local dimming in 2011 such as their Nano TVs."

I was not being rude or anything, just clearing things up. You should never really trust manufacturers blindly when they make big "false" claims about their products.

And even the micro dimming in the 6500 does not do anything as it has worse black levels than even the EX720 and a very low contrast ratio similar to desktop monitors. The micro dimming in Sony tvs like NX720 and HX820 actually works quite well - you get extremely high contrast and inky blacks. The NX720 for instance, has more than 5 times high contrast than the LW6500. But even these two cannot be called "local dimming" sets. They are still EDGE LED. How would you react if I said, "Hey! I am offering you a 4BHK flat in Hyderabad for just 60 lakh Rs! The only catch is, its 50 km away from Hyderabad."

True local dimming sets include LG LW980T,LE8500,LX9500,Sony HX925,Sharp Elite PRO,Toshiba ZL1 CEVO etc. Out of these only the HX925 is sold in India,which starts upwards of 1.5 lacs.

Last edited:
The only true dimming tvs sold in india are the Sony HX925 and the now discontinued LG8500.These have many dimming zones since they have backlight.

The tvs such as the current LG like 6500 or samsung D8000 or Sony HX820/720 and 46" NX720 have edge led based local dimming with very few dimming zones.

Since the LG use a IPS panel a local dimming function is necessary if it has to come close to the contrast of the Sony/samsung tvs.

The VA panel in a NON dimmed zone will still have extremely deep blacks,where as IPS panel will still have the typical inferior black.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back