Which 40" or greater TV for ~70,000 rupees to buy?

max123_ind

Hi guys, I set aside close to 70K for the TV. A 40K TV wouldn't do justice to a 25K+ Oppo BD-83 ;)

So I'm llooking for 40 inches or over. The room is about 12 feet. usage will be :
HD content : 50%
DVD : 20%
DTH : 30%

I liked Plasmas after seeing the Panny X10. I have not seen demo of V20 but I might consider it for buying. I see quite a few problems reported by owners of V20 so I'm slightly worried whether to buy it or not :sad: (not to mention the issues with other brand Plasmas). I am also inclined towards LG for VFM but it has it's share of issues.

In LCDs I liked the black levels of Sony EX500 which is non reflective screne but it does not have 24p True Cinema mode. I saw an LG model for 42" LED that also showed great blacks for Dark Knight. I am also open for any brand LCD/LED.

Please suggest me a good TV (plasma or LCD/LED in 70K range).

26 views and not a reply... hmm guess we all are too busy to start another 'Mybrand kicks your brand's a$$' fanboy discussion of sorts.. :)

Or maybe my question was too broad.. but seriously I am looking for honest inputs.

@venkatcr, thoughts?

Dont judge by the problem reported coz they seem to be individual on few sets.. total 4500 LG PK series sold so far and max I see 20 people reporting problems on various forums.. Better you visit a multi branded showroom and do a side by side comparision between LG50PK550R / Samsung 50C550 / Panny 50U20D ..

LED you can get only LG LH90 model in that budget..

LCD lot of options - but you will get only a 40 or 46 inch maximum so I'd say bigger is the better ....

Check out the 50inch plasma. We are also in the samehunt from bangalore looking for those plasmas in a groupbuy option you can join us if you wish to after you check out the models..

Good Luck.... Again trust your eyes :cool:

HI Max,

Greetings! You have picked up good budget and quality system. My suggestion below is my experience too.

If you can raise your budget somewhat then I would recommend Samsung LED 40" (Series - 6 or Series - 5) otherwise blindly you can opt for Samsung LCD (series-6 or series-5) to well fit into your budget and a really quality box with all featues you want, may be more than that. Important quality measure with samsung screen in this range is that, it has got good colour balance especially for black tones and natural shades . You could experience this feature and lighting situations by running a clip where there are scenes of desnse woods or caves. The finest quality available is with Sony Bravia (V/W-series) but they are exorbitantly costly. Also, since you are using BD player a good Full HD TV set with detailed colour definition is only preferred.

I have experienced both, LED at my home and LCD at my cousines home (both are of 6th series). We bought it in Oct'09 and really enjoying. Your amp does not support HD upscale from non HD transmission to HD for movies and VCDs (You may think of upgrading Amp too. Just check out TX-SR308 on http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR308&class=Receiver&p=i ). You may experience some glare on LED screens but picture quality is amazing. Make best use of your Amp, you will really enjoy the system as a whole. LG, in TV sets is more at lower segment both in terrms of quality and price, and does not offer quality outputs as I feel it is targetting more at middle or lower middle segments also for those who are only price concious and can not measure quality (It's my personal openion)

If you feel more fun with larger screens, than you may compromise with quality upto certain extent but may think of going for 46" / 50" plasma from Panasonic (sincerely Plasmas are not preferable, just sharing as an idea with you).

In addition to these, let me know if any doubts still pending or I might have missed any point here.

Last edited:
Your amp does not support HD upscale from non HD transmission to HD for movies and VCDs (You may think of upgrading Amp too. Just check out TX-SR308 on Onkyo TX-SR308 - 5.1-Channel 3-D Ready Home Theater Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products ). Make best use of your Amp, you will really enjoy the system as a whole.

I intend to use my Oppo BD player for upscaling.. It will do a better job of upscaling than most amplifiers. I'm gonna use multichannel analog audio out of the Oppo to Onkyo.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back