Which amp Denon 2113 or pioneer vsx922 for Sonodyne HT system?

I have finalized the Sonodyne sonus 2605 range of FS speakers for my dedicated home theater system as they were the under my budget and performed well.

Now the person i am buying them from is giving me a pioneer vsx922 AVR with them and he says that the receiver is very good and matches Denon in quality and exceeds it in features. I auditioned the sonodynes with the Pioneer.
I wasn't able to audition Denon with the same speakers but i had heard a lot of good reviews about Denon so my main question is which will be better for me?
My needs are 40:40:20 movies, games and music
i need a 7.1 setup according to my room size
So guys Pioneer vsx 922 or Denon 2113 ?

I have finalized the Sonodyne sonus 2605 range of FS speakers for my dedicated home theater system as they were the under my budget and performed well.

Now the person i am buying them from is giving me a pioneer vsx922 AVR with them and he says that the receiver is very good and matches Denon in quality and exceeds it in features. I auditioned the sonodynes with the Pioneer.
I wasn't able to audition Denon with the same speakers but i had heard a lot of good reviews about Denon so my main question is which will be better for me?

Known angel is better than an Unknown devil...:eek:hyeah:

If you like the Sonodyne Sonus package with the Pioneer receiver, go for it....

There are actually very few in the forum who own Sonodyne Sonus + Denon Combo... AFAIK it is only FM manu george..You can send him a PM(Private Message) to get more details abt the combo....

My take on the receivers, in addition to the features, i always look at the Maximum power consumption of the receiver on the back side/panel...

Whichever has higher rating means it is powerful than the other...

A very tough choice ... If you go purely on the wattage, I guess Denon 2113 has around 95 watts per channel and vsx 922 around 75 watts per channel. Don't be in a hurry, just do an audition with Denon as well. Popular opinion would be with Denon 2113, but your preference for either Denon+Sonodyne 2605 or Pioneer+Sonodynae 2605 can be verified or confirmed only after you audition both the combinations and compare.

Same question I was going to ask but I have a onkyo tx nr616 also in my consideration (40 music,40movies,20games) plz do suggest me also :p

Sent from my ST15i using Tapatalk 2

So i talked to the guy i am buying the system from, he said he will arrange for the sonodyne setup with Denon AVR in couple of days for me to demo.
Till then any other suggestions are welcome.
thank you for your help elangoas & shanmune

Hi there,

Iv recently purchased the Denon 2113 & coincidentally I have the Sonus 2605 package alongwith the Avant centre. Im yet to test this setup since my room isnt ready yet. I went for a Demo with my Avant CS to ProFX & was simply blown away to bits by its performance. I also went to Yamaha with the intention of testing it with the 673 but they had only the 373 for demo & it paled in comparison to the 2113 for obvious reasons.

Lets keep in touch & share views

Hey

How does your setup perform during demo ? is it fit for my needs?
i need a versatile AVR.
I demoed the pioneer and it was good during movies but the music, specially hip hop and rock lacked that upper note punch, lyrics were clear though.
Will audition the Denon in the coming days and will post a review.

i see youve posted here as well :) good choice.. end of the day, public goes for the denon only yaar. so buy it and you'll save time ! budget is obviously your call.

Hi there,

Iv recently purchased the Denon 2113 & coincidentally I have the Sonus 2605 package alongwith the Avant centre. Im yet to test this setup since my room isnt ready yet. I went for a Demo with my Avant CS to ProFX & was simply blown away to bits by its performance. I also went to Yamaha with the intention of testing it with the 673 but they had only the 373 for demo & it paled in comparison to the 2113 for obvious reasons.

Lets keep in touch & share views
@gchirag - how much did you pay for Denon 2113 and where did you buy this from?

Hey

How does your setup perform during demo ? is it fit for my needs?
i need a versatile AVR.
I demoed the pioneer and it was good during movies but the music, specially hip hop and rock lacked that upper note punch, lyrics were clear though.
Will audition the Denon in the coming days and will post a review.

Hi Frank_dude
Coincidentally i also own a Denon 2113 and Sonodyne 2605 V3 FS. You are welcome to do an audition at my place. I am quite happy with the performance of the combo.

Cheers

i see youve posted here as well :) good choice.. end of the day, public goes for the denon only yaar. so buy it and you'll save time ! budget is obviously your call.

Yes i was hoping for some quick suggestions :p
ya Denon is a little costlier but heck if i am spending so much already on the setup then 5-10k more on the amp which justifies its price by it's performance is no isssue.

Hi Frank_dude
Coincidentally i also own a Denon 2113 and Sonodyne 2605 V3 FS. You are welcome to do an audition at my place. I am quite happy with the performance of the combo.

Cheers

Hey,
Thank you and as luck has it you live in delhi :)
I am sending you a PM.

I don't have a full blown home theater but use a Pioneer VSX-1122-K with a pair of PSB Image B15 speakers. The pairing is just brilliant. I use it mostly for music listening and for weekend movie watching. With just two budget stand mount speakers and no sub woofer, I find the sound quality to be superb. My only concern is the gain to be turned well over 70% when watching movies especially. The claimed 75 watts might not do depending on the speaker system you own. There is no damage to the receiver though as long as its not being over driven.

Some other points for those who might be interested in Pioneer Regular Series AV receivers.

I have yet to try the Pioneer automatic sound calibration system to check if the sound is further improved or made worse.

I tried networking the receiver and could play music from my computer but not flac though as this format is not supported on Windows Media player. The receiver will play flac over USB.

NTFS hard drive partitions are not supported by this Pioneer. Only FAT32. It is not supported even on a Marantz SR7005 too.

The receiver was not able to control a hard drive based ipod classic too. It did work once but that was probably a fluke. The user manual also does not speak about compatibility with hard drive based ipods too. The audio connection between a Ipod and the receiver is digital over usb.

I found a considerable improvement in sound quality by using the Sound Retriever option for MP3 based audio files.

HDMI pass thru works without a hitch.

So guys i Auditioned both the AVR's back to back with the sonodyne's and according to my taste and preferences and also maybe cause of the speakers the pioneer seemed like a better match and was 7k cheaper to. However i would like to point out that budget wasn't my criteria of selection but the sound output, quality and loudness was better in pioneer according to my tastes and preferences so i have booked a Pioneer 922.
Thanks for the valuable suggestions guys :)

frank you already bought sonodyne full set up...??
if no...get avant centre instead of the sonus centre...quality much much high..

good to knwo yu got the amp..

Last edited:
So guys i Auditioned both the AVR's back to back with the sonodyne's and according to my taste and preferences and also maybe cause of the speakers the pioneer seemed like a better match and was 7k cheaper to. However i would like to point out that budget wasn't my criteria of selection but the sound output, quality and loudness was better in pioneer according to my tastes and preferences so i have booked a Pioneer 922.
Thanks for the valuable suggestions guys :)

Also try to audition and compare Yamaha RX-V673 with your setup.

frank you already bought sonodyne full set up...??
if no...get avant centre instead of the sonus centre...quality much much high..

good to knwo yu got the amp..

I already got the speakers :( but lets just hope they satisfy my needs.

thanks

Also try to audition and compare Yamaha RX-V673 with your setup.

Thanks for the suggestions, i will give it a shot and see.

Boought from ProFx @45k with 0% interest from Bajaj Finance (no processing charge)....initial DP of 15 grands

Since this is a 2013 receiver, when did you buy it? Were you offered any discount on 2012 lineup? Asking this question as I am interested in picking up a 1712 or 1713. Not interested in 1913 or 2113 as they exceed my budget and I don't need the features.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back