Which Internet Connection are you using ??

Yes. 64kBps is correct.
For me it's a freak connection. Not sure how long the fun will last:lol:

A little bursting beyond allocated bandwidth is normal. I too get 80+ kBps for short durations with my torrents on a 512kbps connection. The software is reading from the incoming TCP buffers and doing calculations - the reading of which can be delayed resulting in more bytes read and an overestimate of b/w, so it is not telling you the wire speed accurately.

Cheers

You sure this tool is fine, since Riju has 256kbps speed but it shows 1.83mbps..?? weird...isnt it?

All BSNL/MTNL 256 KBPS BB connections are actually `upto 2MBPS`, i.e. it will give you from 256kbps to 2 mbps speed. They divide a 2 mbps connetion among 8 subscribers, so ur speed depends on how many ppl r using at a time in ur group of 8.

All BSNL/MTNL 256 KBPS BB connections are actually `upto 2MBPS`, i.e. it will give you from 256kbps to 2 mbps speed. They divide a 2 mbps connetion among 8 subscribers, so ur speed depends on how many ppl r using at a time in ur group of 8.

Yeah. Thats how they try to sell you corporate leased line bandwidth too - without admitting so much explicitly they will drop words like 1:4 and try their best not to explain the term. :rolleyes:

Regards

Last edited:

but this particular unlimited plan they didnt mention the max download speed and they clearly mentioned 256kbps. but for limited plan they mentioned the max download speed 2mbps. refer MTNL Broadband Internet Services Tariff Plans

MTNL unlimited plans have a fixed upper speed limit. You pay as per the connection speed....256, 512, 1mbps & 2mbps. Prices are ranging from 999 to 9999 plus taxes.

And they do NOT divide 2mbps line among 8 subscribers. This is totally wrong. From where did you get this info? I am aware of at least 4 accounts (heavy users) with consistent speeds around 1.8mbps for last 2-3 years!!

i'm currently having the 500 combo plan of BSNL which gives me speeds "upto" 2MBPS. now bsnl is really taking advantage of the "upto" tag, i never really get full 2mbps these days.

thats why am thinking of moving to the unlimited plan. as far as i know its 750 bucks. now i need some info, are there any free calls available for this plan? at the moment am getting around 175 calls free on my 500 combo plan.

One common practice that has actually helped the growth of data communications is over-subscribing. The idea is that all customer taken together are never transmitting or receiving data at exactly the same instant. It is this practice has has made the Internet economically viable over the decades. Either time division multiplexing (TDM) or Frequency Division Multiplexing (FDM) is typically used. And DWDM for fibre backbones.

So if all your friends appear to get full 1.8mbps regularly, it is only a matter of mathematical probablity and perception. the links are likely to be shared by many users. I did hear of last-mile links that are dedicated though it is rare. the sharing begins at the DSLAM equipment - say from the basement of your building to the exchange, not from your individual house connection.

Regards

One common practice that has actually helped the growth of data communications is over-subscribing. The idea is that all customer taken together are never transmitting or receiving data at exactly the same instant. It is this practice has has made the Internet economically viable over the decades. Either time division multiplexing (TDM) or Frequency Division Multiplexing (FDM) is typically used. And DWDM for fibre backbones.

So if all your friends appear to get full 1.8mbps regularly, it is only a matter of mathematical probablity and perception. the links are likely to be shared by many users. I did hear of last-mile links that are dedicated though it is rare. the sharing begins at the DSLAM equipment - say from the basement of your building to the exchange, not from your individual house connection.

Regards

I don't think contention ratios exists in this setup. Actual speed of the connection depends on line quality and distance from exchange.

BTW my connection is 256kbps unlimited and I get average download speeds of 1760kbps. This is MTNL and they are different from the private parties. Private ISPs promise 2mbps and you don't even get 1mbps.

All 4 accounts from different exchanges doing consistent 1.7-1.9 mbps, day or night, it's too much for any mathematical probability!

Do you have any friends using MTNL triband? Just try asking around...

Last edited:
BTW my connection is 256kbps unlimited and I get average download speeds of 1760kbps. This is MTNL and they are different from the private parties. Private ISPs promise 2mbps and you don't even get 1mbps.

All 4 accounts from different exchanges doing consistent 1.7-1.9 mbps, day or night, it's too much for any mathematical probability!

What this likely means is that the ISP is under-subscribed due to market forces in many areas. They have provisioned for future capacity needs and giving you the benefit of existing capacity at no extra charge. :)

Over-subscription will happen in pockets as and when market demand picks up. It is typically not possible for a private ISP to survive given the investment and costs in laying infrastructure. Under-utilized links will bleed them to death.

The probability I was talking about (referring to the example of basic TDM) was in finding a transmission line empty for 125microsecs or 8000 times a sec. Enough to burst traffic for heavy users but not at the expense of light users.

In my experience, Airtel does give what they promise :)

Regards

Cheers

I am using BSNL EVDO for Internet. It is a usb device and is claimed to deliver upto 2mbps. Speeds are not consistent, but I get around 60kbps for torrents and much higher for direct dowloads, but again I reiterate not consistent.
However I feel this is the most reasonable in the current crop of wireless broad band devices, as I get an upto 2mbps connection for rs550 a month and that too for unlimited usage.
Portability is restricted to the state as of now! Also in semi urban, rural areas, it switches over to Cdma 1x network, which is 144kbps.

What this likely means is that the ISP is under-subscribed due to market forces in many areas. They have provisioned for future capacity needs and giving you the benefit of existing capacity at no extra charge. :)

Over-subscription will happen in pockets as and when market demand picks up. It is typically not possible for a private ISP to survive given the investment and costs in laying infrastructure. Under-utilized links will bleed them to death.

The probability I was talking about (referring to the example of basic TDM) was in finding a transmission line empty for 125microsecs or 8000 times a sec. Enough to burst traffic for heavy users but not at the expense of light users.

In my experience, Airtel does give what they promise
Cheers

That's what I meant when I said this is MTNL. They have a large infrastructure and don't try to squeeze customers;)
So far you are lucky with your Airtel. But wait till it's oversubscribed;)

I am using BSNL EVDO for Internet. It is a usb device and is claimed to deliver upto 2mbps. Speeds are not consistent, but I get around 60kbps for torrents and much higher for direct dowloads, but again I reiterate not consistent.
However I feel this is the most reasonable in the current crop of wireless broad band devices, as I get an upto 2mbps connection for rs550 a month and that too for unlimited usage.
Portability is restricted to the state as of now! Also in semi urban, rural areas, it switches over to Cdma 1x network, which is 144kbps.

Thats a great performace at that price .. unlimited downloads that too!! :clapping:

What wireless technology do they claim to use?

Regards

I've been using an Airtel 256 unlimited plan for the past 3-4 years, but recently switched to the BSNL unlimited 750 + plan. Before applying to BSNL I checked around for some other options, including wmax but couldnt find anything easily

When I asked Airtel to shift my connection from my rented apartment to my new house, they said they were unable to do it, so I went reluctantly to BSNL-but this is a decision that I'm not regretting- it's both cheaper( 750+ tax Vs 1000+ tax) and definitely faster. I suspect that Airtel has oversold connections in my area, and speeds have slowed down significantly.

George

Hathway unlimited 128k @ approx 470 Rs/m

torrents run around 14 -15kbps ,
almost same speed all time

other areas hathway has some complaints,in my area
all fine till now ,customer care is also good

Hathway unlimited 128k @ approx 470 Rs/m

torrents run around 14 -15kbps ,
almost same speed all time

other areas hathway has some complaints,in my area
all fine till now ,customer care is also good

Bsnl Home 500. Max download of 4.5 gb in 6hrs during 2-8 am but usually I am not that lucky. Last month however was a lucky month, downloaded 96 gb of data in 26 days. Balance 4 days forgot to schedule my downloads ;) !

This month however I am getting average speeds of approx 3-3.2 gb in 6 hours !

MAx Abndwith - 1.8mbps
Average Bandwith - 1 -1.8mbps depending upon seeders etc !

are there any rental charges and free calls in the unlimited 750 pack of bsnl broadband?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back