Which Internet Connection are you using ??

No rental, no free calls-750+ cost of calls at actuals.

I will use the net and pay for it, wifey uses phone and pays for it-they have the option of issuing separate bills for broadband and phone.I got this up and running about 20 days ago, so the first set of bill havent yet come.

There two other interesting side aspects, which no other ISP offers-you have the option of renting the modem at 100 per month or buying it at 1200. You also can pay 750 per month or choose the option to pay 7500 for 12 months-a hefty discount!

George

okay so u mean there aint any rentals, so thats a bonus.

but i will have to pay for every call i make.

did i get u right?

Last edited:
Thats a great performace at that price .. unlimited downloads that too!! :clapping:

What wireless technology do they claim to use?

Regards

gobble ji, sorry for the late reply! I wasnt able to check the forum.

The tech used is EV-DO. I think it stands for Evolutionary data optimised. Googling will give you better answers:eek:
It is based on Cdma 2000.
Oh by the way, its got another limitation.:sad:
It doesnt support downloads from rapid share( something to with shared ips)
The error msg goes: your ip address is already downloading the file from our server.

gobble j
The error msg goes: your ip address is already downloading the file from our server.

Now thats adding a wonky twist to the whole affair! Do your IP's get reassigned very frequently?

Regards

okay so u mean there aint any rentals, so thats a bonus.

but i will have to pay for every call i make.

did i get u right?

Yes. you got it right-after all rental translates into a certain number of free calls-if your calls are above that limit you have to pay for your calls anyway, right?

George

Why don't you go for a Premium Account?
Premium users are recognised by cookies, and not by IP address.

Why don't you go for a Premium Account?
Premium users are recognised by cookies, and not by IP address.

Reju, thanks for that info! :D
Anyways, I do manage with torrents, media fire etc

Gobble, i havent checked that:eek:

Yes. you got it right-after all rental translates into a certain number of free calls-if your calls are above that limit you have to pay for your calls anyway, right?

George

can u tell me the no of free calls? it should be on ur phone bill. plz help mate. need to know about this pack, coz am not getting 2mbps on the 500 combo pack.

Tata photon+ - Unlimited with no FUP

Rs 1500+tax per month

Screenshot of speed attached.

Thats pretty good!:clapping: Is that the max you get?

And what is the cost of the device? Do they have rental option?
Reliance 3.1 mbps has a fair usage policy of 10gb max!:mad:

Bsnl Home 500. Max download of 4.5 gb in 6hrs during 2-8 am but usually I am not that lucky. Last month however was a lucky month, downloaded 96 gb of data in 26 days. Balance 4 days forgot to schedule my downloads ;) !

This month however I am getting average speeds of approx 3-3.2 gb in 6 hours !

MAx Abndwith - 1.8mbps
Average Bandwith - 1 -1.8mbps depending upon seeders etc !

BSNL customer care sucks, i hate to deal with sluggish govt
employees.... if ur conn is running oku are lucky ,else itz a hell-raizer :eek:hyeah:
apply n wait , etc boring ..

what i liked i just gave a cheque,1 sign... and all done ... in 4days i got connection,
modem,installation all free
who already have landline , BSNL may b good4 them ....
approx 50GB pm is ok 4 me with hathway
when i dont want say for 20 days ,going to native...i let it expire,i dont pay,once i come back i pay hehhe

Last edited:
Thats pretty good!:clapping: Is that the max you get?

And what is the cost of the device? Do they have rental option?
Reliance 3.1 mbps has a fair usage policy of 10gb max!:mad:

That is the average - here's the max :)

I paid 3.5k for the device

This is close to the max.

Speedtest.net results

Last edited:
For all our members here who are interested in high speeds , good service and low cost service providers - airtel has just come out with some new plans which are awesome. Do take a look at them ?

Experience

Attachments

• Airtel Experience.jpg
    Airtel Experience.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 98
Works in Linux. It uses the common ZTE USB modem. I have no clue about macs. I'm not a mac fan :).

Thanks for the information. I wonder why you would dislike macOS though, because it is basically BSD unix (with rock-solid kernel) with a beautifully integrated user interface where everything works seamlessly and gives you the choice of command lines in your preferred terminal (eg x-window) or just mouse-clicking if you are not unix-savvy. There are thousands of freeware available. In some ways, the linux Ubuntu development is mimicing macOS. I am one of the earliest users of linux, and have installed and used almost all distributions and am very disappointed by the commercial developments of the last 5 years where they are selling licenses without any integration of the package.

I guess I have to ask the Tata guys to find out if it works with macOS.

Thanks for the information. I wonder why you would dislike macOS though, because it is basically BSD unix (with rock-solid kernel) with a beautifully integrated user interface where everything works seamlessly and gives you the choice of command lines in your preferred terminal (eg x-window) or just mouse-clicking if you are not unix-savvy. There are thousands of freeware available. In some ways, the linux Ubuntu development is mimicing macOS. I am one of the earliest users of linux, and have installed and used almost all distributions and am very disappointed by the commercial developments of the last 5 years where they are selling licenses without any integration of the package.

I guess I have to ask the Tata guys to find out if it works with macOS.

Asit

The notion of unlimited choice of applications in freeware is a con. The top 3 most popular applications for any intended purpose do not get their basic functionality right which is quite frustrating for day-to-day use. The reason is I believe desktop Linux movement has an army of pretty average programmer enthusiast who fail to deliver the goods. After experiencing almost one new breakage a week for 6 months last year (with every update of Ubuntu), and not finding it fixed for a year, I am convinced that the the (edit: Linux)open source development model is a schizophrenic one.(Edit: BSD does not suffer this model). Like you mentioned, the lack of seamless integration is the biggest drawback. I think the reason most people hate the Mac is because it is not a $80 option but comes with $1000 hardware.

BTW Mac OSX and also Linux has as many and even more security fixes and other bugs as windows. This is the statistical truth going by the count of bugs per year. Only difference is the way the open-source community responds to security bugs as compared to M$ that will hide it and pretend its not there while they take a year to find a fix for it.

I've been a Welcome to Linux From Scratch! user since 2003 and pottering around with freeBSD since version 2 - and my personal experience is that Ubuntu desktop in Q1 of 2009 does not match windows 2000 or XP launched 8 years back!! WM Player is far better than Totem in user experience. Agreed Linux does not have the mysterious hangs for 5 to 10 secs that plague Windows setups. On the other hand BSD/Linux is simply great without desktop X - I would never consider another OS for a server!! Even today as I speak, I am about to redo the linuxfromscratch OS on my new h/w and abandon Ubuntu and any Linux desktop for life!! If you want a really good desktop in Linux, you will have to compile everything from Xorg to the browser and other selected few apps from source. Period.

Cheers

Last edited:
i use hathway 128kbps unlimited @ Rs337.5 / month effective (4th month free with 3 months subscription @ Rs 450/month)
I prefer this ISP because i (don't know why) get speeds of about 60-360kBps using Ares p2p depending on the no of downloads & users. For files having good amount of users, i get a speed of about 60kBps per file upto a total of about 300-360kBps. I've tried many other p2p softwares but unable to get this bandwidth anywhere else.
if anybody knows how ares connect to internet, please tell me so that i can try similar softwares... And also while using ares, my internet connection dies out most of the time, i.e., i cannot surf or start other downloads & only ares works

Hi Dushie,
Thanks for your post man! i have just given a request to Airtel to change to Freedom plan of Rs 1699 speed 1Mbps unlimited plan. Airtel says it will be consistent 1 Mbps and not up to 1 Mbps. It will be activated before 5.30 pm tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed it will be a consistent 1 Mbps

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Hi Dushie,
Thanks for your post man! i have just given a request to Airtel to change to Freedom plan of Rs 1699 speed 1Mbps unlimited plan. Airtel says it will be consistent 1 Mbps and not up to 1 Mbps. It will be activated before 5.30 pm tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed it will be a consistent 1 Mbps

cheers,
sri

Wow good initiative! Hope you get the speed. Do let us know.
good luck!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back