Which Internet Connection are you using ??

So finally my Hathway modem( 256kbps)just got instlled.:yahoo:
This is my 1st post after installation.

Hi Srinivas,

You are really lucky to get 1 mbps download speed. BTW how do you check the download speed - by actually downloading any movie or music ?

At Noida, I have also the same 1 mbps unlimited Airtel plan and I get max 63-64 KBPS as the real download speed and it takes approx. 3.5 to 4 hours to download a 650 MB movie.

Your throughput is limited by path latency, random packet loss and TCP windows. In other words you are not really measuring the physical link speed when downloading from a remote server. Try downloading content from a local Airtel datacenter, like something trial s/w from Symantec etc. Note the IP you hit for downloading and confirm its network distance/location with a trace to be sure.

Cheers

Hi,

When in Mumbai, apart from airtel, I had a local cable internet connection, (was staying at Bangurnagar, Goregaon west). It was from Space-Age Internet, if my memory was right. I had a 512kbps connection unlimited download for 1.5k a month, and the normal download speed should be 64kbps, but I was getting 250kbps speed throughout(that's speed of a 2Mbps line). Do not know how, but I totally squeezed the juice from that line.
I was able to download 8GB/day:yahoo:

so anybody residing in that area, can try this option.

cheers

Hi,
My brother has picked up a Tikona connection.Its 600kbps unlimited downloads for Rs800 per month.Iam not sure how reliable this service is.Any idea on their service in Bangalore?

Hi Srinivas,

You are really lucky to get 1 mbps download speed. BTW how do you check the download speed - by actually downloading any movie or music ?

At Noida, I have also the same 1 mbps unlimited Airtel plan and I get max 63-64 KBPS as the real download speed and it takes approx. 3.5 to 4 hours to download a 650 MB movie.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Usually the download speed is calculated by your Internet connection seed/8. So if your connection is 512kbps, your download speed will be 512/8=64kBps. And to check your download speed, download any file from Microsoft/Adobe's website, they have some of the best servers, and do not use any download managers, and even those download meters all give false reading.

cheers.

Last edited:
I have the same plan, but it takes lot of time to download the movies, when you download any file or movies the actual speed show max 26kbps...whats in your case Reju?

hi. all downloads r shown in capital B (KBytes= multyply by 8= kbps). so it goes like this a 256 connection adownload shows eg; 20 KBps = 20X8=160kbps. normally this ISP guys r crooks. they will never give u the promissed speed. They say its a shared bandwidth= more the people loged in lesser the speed. They never promise u full 256 not even 100 for that matter. its available only for corporates where a 2mb link will have something like 1700 kbps max (practically) something is deducted as over heads etc. Now the speed tests u do is with a limited load it will show u the full speed. But when u put the download then only u know the actual speed. again there is a cap. a single download will never reach 256 kbps. it will be 160 to 170 max if u put 2 or three downloads then add all of them it will hit near 220kbps.
Now the funda is like this take a limited download payable per mb see the speed ha ha. it will be blazing know why u have to coiugh up for each mb.:yahoo:

Hi,

What a shock! Suddenly, i noticed that my downloads are nearing 80-100 kbps, that too in a 750 unlimited plan with BSNL. Seems they have doubled up the bandwith and named it "Chitthirai Offer" or "Summer Offer" (translation:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:)

Itz time for some serious 24x7 download guys!

Cheers!

You are right Venkatesh. I just tested my connection and it showing 0.84MPBS. UTorrent peaks at around 60KBPS. This is great. I know they have started a 512KBPS unlimited at Rs.900. Is this a teaser to make all Rs.750 subscribers shift?

Cheers

Last edited:
1mbps @ 1600 rs

The same price will get you a 30mbps in the us

in 2004 they had 4mbps
we had 64kbps

I spit on the incompetant greedy Indian ISP industry.

BSNL has launched EVDO service with speed upto 3.1 Mbps........how good is it ?
Will it be faster/better then the 256 kbps ADSL Broadband ?
The post paid unlimited EVDO is only Rs 750/- per month.

I have tried BSNL's EVDO for about a month.

EVDO has very weak transmission and has limited coverage. For example, in Besant Nagar where I live, the connection works only if I sit outside on a balcony. It does not work inside the house. In any case I have never seen it reach it stated speeds.

I actually purchased the connection after paying some 3K for the modem for using as part of travel. I later realised that EVDO connection works only in some parts of the metropolitan cities.

And BTW, EVDO can be used only on a laptop.

I closed the connection. I have an unused and nearly brand new EVDO modem. If anyone is thinking of an EVDO connection they can pick up the modem from me at half price.

Cheers

Last edited:
I'm very happy with Airtel 2Mb connection. I'm not a great downloader, and my monthly total rarely makes double figures of Gb, so the cap does not worry me (I think it is 15Gb/month).

I don't think it is their policy to tell customers when they can get more for less --- but I think there are 4Mb deals, available in Chennai and a few other cities now, that might be worth my while. I don't need to double the speed, but, hey... :)

I think what matters is how the ISP shares the bandwidth between user. For example, BSNL, irrespective of time or day, will always deliver the 256K. So you will never get speeds of less than their quoted ones.

Do Airtel and others also follow the same principle? I use Airtel in another location and the speed fluctuates like mad all the time.

Cheers.

I do not notice speed fluctuation.

Well, I do notice it, but I would put it down to the speed of the remote server etc, rather than that of my local connection.

It's possible that 256k is so slow that it more effectively masks the vagaries of the net itself.

After having been a BSNL customer, I found that, after moving house, their service was poor and unreliable. I could not wait for Airtel to cable our road, and we called the Airtel sales guys the day we saw their men digging outside and were connected a few days later.

The speeds are never guaranteed, because the system has the concept of contention built into it: your connection may be shared by quite a few other users.

You are right Venkatesh. I just tested my connection and it showing 0.84MPBS. UTorrent peaks at around 60KBPS. This is great. I know they have started a 512KBPS unlimited at Rs.900. Is this a teaser to make all Rs.750 subscribers shift?

Cheers

Hi,

Yes Sir. I think that is their strategy. Out of curiosity, I spoke to the JE a couple of day back in our BSNL area suspecting that whether they have increased my plan without my permission (yes, she is exceptional and easily accessible, believe me it is India), she gave me the above info and added that the company has started to lose huge bunch of customers, most of them moving to other service providers and 90% of them surrendering their 10-year, 20-year old BSNL landline connection.

Paying 150 for another 256kbps is not a bad idea!

I have been one of the most happiest users of BSNL, probably because I aint no download big buff. Our branch, AE and JE are very good and prompt at resolving the matters, so never had a server down for more than 4 hours continuously and my complaints are always well received and looked into.

Cheers!

P.s.: We are having free incoming and some lucrative cellular services here, still I can see people charged for incoming charges as well in USA. I think it is basically something to do with demand, again - economy.

Cheers!

Last edited:
i am being siphoned off by magarpatta city (there is no other alternative) and tataindicom people. I end up paying 1100 for a 384kbps unlimited connection.

Need a change of place soon:mad:

I have heard about this from others as well! Considering that Reliance is WiMax (wireless) based, can't you get Reliance? As long as you go for any of their unlimited packages, they're okay. Otherwise, you will invariably end up in disputes with them over usage numbers.

In Airtel there appears to be a combi 499 scheme where you get 1 Mbps for the first 5 GB and then 256kbps. So a good option for someone who is not into movie or software downloads as its available for Rs. 499 per month.

Last edited:
BSNL Broadband in Kolkata has doubled the speed from 256 to 512 for the month of April only.:yahoo:

Hope it stays beyond April.;)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back