Which Internet Connection are you using ??

And Thad, both are incorrect. It should be kBps and mbps. :), though I am not sure whether the 'k' can be capitalised or not. :)

Cheers

Usually, the only character that is compulsorily case-sensitive is the b(it) & B(yte). Otherwise, I've found that industry usage includes upper- and lower-case k's, m's and t's.

Here's the definition of units of measurement for network traffic. Probably more than anyone wants to know... :)

There is something very strange going on in BSNL. For the last few days I have been seeing download speeds of roughly 175kBps. My connection is the 750 a month unlimited plan they usually has a 256kbps that has been upgraded free for this month t0 512.

175kBps of actually download is really a heartening sight. I tried a 160MB file and it landed on my HD in under 20 minutes !!

Cheers

There is something very strange going on in BSNL. For the last few days I have been seeing download speeds of roughly 175kBps. My connection is the 750 a month unlimited plan they usually has a 256kbps that has been upgraded free for this month t0 512.

175kBps of actually download is really a heartening sight. I tried a 160MB file and it landed on my HD in under 20 minutes !!

Cheers

Whatever I know Venkat, that is a promotional offer from BSNL to double the speed of existing customer but for the month of April only. :eek:

Airtel BB is getting pathetic. they never give promised speed. I have airtel 1Mbps connection but download speed is very bad. BSNL 256kbps speed is much better. I am going to change to BSNL.

BSNL Kolkata has stopped the offer of double speed and I am back to 256 kbps unlimited again...
8-((........

my experience with MTNL has been excellent for as long as I remember, from a pure throughput perspective. i hav an unltd. 1 Mbps plan that they have FoC upgraded to 2 Mbps!!!

however, the only issue i have seen is, since they have outsourced their help desk to a call centre, if there is a problem with the network, one can only wait for it to resolve. the call centre has rarely been able to assist and close. though, problems have not been too frequent, and few.

Hi,
I am using Airtel 1 mbps unlimited plan. It is normally very good but I am really struggling with the streaming speed. I am trying to watch world championship snooker from BBC website and it seldom plays smoothly. Does anybody know does Airtel restrict the speed when it comes to streamming live feeds?
Thanks.

Hi,
I am using Airtel 1 mbps unlimited plan. It is normally very good but I am really struggling with the streaming speed. I am trying to watch world championship snooker from BBC website and it seldom plays smoothly. Does anybody know does Airtel restrict the speed when it comes to streamming live feeds?
Thanks.

Mahiruha, you can use a network interface monitor to see your bandwidth usage in real-time. There are many freewares that you could use, like:
NetGraph2, or
BitMeter2.

They graph your down- and up-load statistics in a little window and I think BitMeter also provides day/week/month summaries.

Very useful, if/when you want to nail your service provider :lol:

I use Metaproducts' Net Activity Diagram (NAD), the old freeware version (1.1.90) which is fine for me, not the latest version which is now commercial. It has no frills or reporting, but I'm too lazy to change...:)

Last edited:
I used Home 500 plan of BSNL...but my bills were going north of 3000 Rs..just because I watch too much youtube and try out new downloaded Linux applications from their repositories. I used to get 130-140 KiB/s on my torrent application and that was awesome...

later to save on monthly bills...moved onto UL 750 plan and my god...youtube buffering takes hell lotta time....I have now stopped trying out new Linux applications.....and my torrent application hardly shows 15KiB/s...it averages at 10KiB/s..:mad:.the picture files loads half and then stops...not for heavy internet user

I am glad Venkatraman is getting good speed for the same plan I believe...

Venkat, BSNL has brought out new plans. For 1K, for example, you get 1 mbps upto 9 GB, and then a switch to 512. Similarly they have a plan for 1100 that gives you 2 mbps till 10GB and then a switch to a slower speed.

Please visit their site for more details.

Cheers

BSNL Home combo @ Rs.250/- is the cheapest option for heavy downloaders . I wish we had a good economy plan at that rate for streaming content without buffering esp for at least 128kbps online radio.

There is a major Internet undersea cable fault near Italy and all Internet speeds are effected.........When will it become normal ??

There is a major Internet undersea cable fault near Italy and all Internet speeds are effected.........When will it become normal ??

The problem, I believe, was fixed around early morning IST on the 29th. Are you still having issues?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back