Which Internet Connection are you using ??

BSNL Home combo @ Rs.250/- is the cheapest option for heavy downloaders . I wish we had a good economy plan at that rate for streaming content without buffering esp for at least 128kbps online radio.

Hai ct,

This will be costly for heavy downloads. Instead one can opt for the BSNl's new UL plans as per Venkat's post.

N.Murali

Hathway has launched new plans.Under unlimited title,say 256kpbs,they have 3 plans.
1. 1:8, mod 40
2. 1:4 mod 60
3. 1:2 mod80/100

Does this mean DL speed ratio?Price difference for them is marginal(say Rs.800 to 1200 for 6moths)

Hathway has launched new plans.Under unlimited title,say 256kpbs,they have 3 plans.
1. 1:8, mod 40
2. 1:4 mod 60
3. 1:2 mod80/100

Does this mean DL speed ratio?Price difference for them is marginal(say Rs.800 to 1200 for 6moths)

The ratio (1:8) means you'd be sharing with 7 other subscribers. It only means that 8 connections will be grouped for bandwidth-sharing. This however does not necessarily mean you'll always only get 1/8th of the bandwidth :) I have a 1:8 1mbps connection and I never get less than 512kbps, usually ~1mbps, because I suspect Hathway spreads subscribers out fairly evenly across pools.

I believe the "mod 40" means the monthly rental in Rupees for the modem.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I observed 800kbps yesterday on my 512kbps connection and was perplexed! Today I see this email from Airtel in my inbox

---snip--
We are happy to upgrade your Airtel broadband speed to 1 Mbps* without any additional charges. Now, zap on and enjoy a superior internet experience.
---snap---

Horaaayh! :yahoo: I get 1mbps in place of 512 at the same price! :clapping:

I heard they do this once in a while but I never got lucky in 4 years!!

Ab meraa number hai!! :eek:hyeah:

Cheers

I observed 800kbps yesterday on my 512kbps connection and was perplexed! Today I see this email from Airtel in my inbox

---snip--
We are happy to upgrade your Airtel broadband speed to 1 Mbps* without any additional charges. Now, zap on and enjoy a superior internet experience.
---snap---

Cheers

Let me poke some fun at you brother;)

I have a 8 MBPS Fibre Optic connection (from local provider Etisalat) at my home and while it is not an assured bandwidth, it is not uncommon for me to see 2 - 4 MBPS connection speeds while downloading games from Playstation 3 online store or from many other sites:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Last time I downloaded from PS3 store, a 2 GB game downloaded in less than 15 minutes:D

Let me poke some fun at you brother;)

I have a 8 MBPS Fibre Optic connection (from local provider Etisalat) at my home and while it is not an assured bandwidth, it is not uncommon for me to see 2 - 4 MBPS connection speeds while downloading games from Playstation 3 online store or from many other sites:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Last time I downloaded from PS3 store, a 2 GB game downloaded in less than 15 minutes:D

:mad:!#$@#%#^$#^:mad: Sending the Internet-Naxalites your way to blow up the infra of the super-rich, derail your Internet connection and bring you down to common man level :sos: :eek:hyeah:
:)
Cheers

Used to have a 1Mb connection at the office, shared among 40 people: now I have a 2Mb connection at home, waiting for upgrade to 4Mb when my exchange becomes able to offer that.

Mind you, the 1Mb was 1Mb, guaranteed, with penalties for downtime, full-duplex fibre leased line. There was a time when, four of us had that line to ourselves for a few weeks. The we looked up from our browsing, saw that the rest of the office had moved out --- and realised they were trying to tell us something ;)

We had a 100-Mb private fibre link to another office --- but that was no fun, as it did not go to the internet.

---snip--
---snap---

Cheers

Whats the FUP limit now.

Currently, I am using Hathway Expressway4GB4M which is 1MBPS speed 4 GB limited download plan for 4 months. I am satisfied with the speed. Hathway is also offering 512 KBPS unlimited plan for Rs670 per month and 1MBPS unlimited plan for Rs1270 per month.

BTW, the speedtest.net for my internet connection:

speedtest.gif
:clapping:

I have been using Airtel broadband. Started with 256 Kbps (Rs 790 per month) and upgraded to 512 kbps by paying Rs 100 extra every month. Now Airtel has upgraded it to 1mbps without charging anything more. Got a WLAN modem also. I am fully satisfied with the service.

The we looked up from our browsing, saw that the rest of the office had moved out --- and realised they were trying to tell us something ;)

We had a 100-Mb private fibre link to another office --- but that was no fun, as it did not go to the internet.

Whaddaymean! The whole office moved out while you were busy glued to Internet Trivia? !! I thought I was bad!! That would have been embarrassing!! :eek:hyeah:

A network is not fun if its only cmdline servers at the other end and no image or video server at the other end ;)

Cheers

I have been using Airtel broadband. Started with 256 Kbps (Rs 790 per month) and upgraded to 512 kbps by paying Rs 100 extra every month. Now Airtel has upgraded it to 1mbps without charging anything more. Got a WLAN modem also. I am fully satisfied with the service.

:mad:!$!@#$!@$!@$!@:mad: So you are paying less than 1000/- p.m for 1mbps?!!

I am being cheated!! :mad::mad::mad:

Regards

I had been a Hathway user for a long time till they disconnected services in my area. I always have observed that their service was actually shared without any control. If someone starts a download, all others would be affected, and as more users log in, the speed for everyone would drop dramatically.

BSNL on the other hand gives you whatever speed they say. If it is 256, you will get 256 all the time.

Like Gooble, I am also frustrated. Seeing the speeds in Dubai makes your blood boil. When will see such services in India?

Cheers

BSNL on the other hand gives you whatever speed they say. If it is 256, you will get 256 all the time.
They don't guarantee it --- in fact there is "contention", which is the maximum number of people who can be sharing that chunk of ADSL bandwidth. I don't think I have ever yet felt that.

Hathway used a different connection model --- something like a group of people all sharing one LAN, I don't know the details.

I had been a Hathway user for a long time till they disconnected services in my area. I always have observed that their service was actually shared without any control. If someone starts a download, all others would be affected, and as more users log in, the speed for everyone would drop dramatically.

Like Gooble, I am also frustrated. Seeing the speeds in Dubai makes your blood boil. When will see such services in India?

Cheers

Actually Even the BSNL leased line is shared. They cleverly use the word 1:4 "compression" and jump to another point to distract you :)

Well b/w is for the rich of the world! Lets be thankful we can afford what we can when 80% of the world does not have access to clean water at the home even!! :)

Regards

Well b/w is for the rich of the world! Lets be thankful we can afford what we can when 80% of the world does not have access to clean water at the home even!!
That's a sobering thought! My house does not have what much of the world would consider a good water supply; we have frequent power cuts --- but the internet connection is great!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back