Which Internet Connection are you using ??

I'm having AirTel 1mbps unlimited connection and paying 1320 (including tax).

Service and speed is good and no issues for last 8 months.

Is that o.k or I should think about other plan or service provider?

I'm having AirTel 1mbps unlimited connection and paying 1320 (including tax).

Service and speed is good and no issues for last 8 months.

Is that o.k or I should think about other plan or service provider?

Keep it! Consider broadband like electricity and water. Now will you not get a shock if you home electricity bill shoots up to 1600/-? 1300/- p.m is a high price to pay for a utility really, in a third world country.

Although I can easily afford to pay more, I dont by choice.

Cheers

Keep it! Consider broadband like electricity and water. Now will you not get a shock if you home electricity bill shoots up to 1600/-? 1300/- p.m is a high price to pay for a utility really, in a third world country.

Although I can easily afford to pay more, I dont by choice.

Cheers

I am sick and tired of Airtel and their shitty policies. Been a customer for last 4-5 years for internet. I am paying close to 1250/- per month and get 384 kbps and 1mbps for nights and sundays with an FUP of some 50 or 75gb, cant remember which.

Now airtel is planning to double the speed and implement a pathetic 15 or 25gb FUP.

I am looking for a good internet service provider. BSNL 512kbps is definitely an option, but looking for off beat providers e.g. beam able in hydderabad that gives 2mbps for 1k. I live in ulsoor area.

How's the experience with hathway internet. Is it any good, how consistent is the speed with connection shared with users.

What I don't understand is Airtel keeping customers on old plans. I get 2Mb with a 15Gb cap for 1199.

Hathway, I think, have only slower plans that are not really broadband, and, maybe a sensitivity to the local political setup. They fell out here and just stopped doing business, like one day they existed and the next they didn't.

What I don't understand is Airtel keeping customers on old plans. I get 2Mb with a 15Gb cap for 1199.

Hathway, I think, have only slower plans that are not really broadband, and, maybe a sensitivity to the local political setup. They fell out here and just stopped doing business, like one day they existed and the next they didn't.

I know someone who worked for Hathway and it was indeed closed due to political reasons. For Chennai-ites there is a service from a company called Wi5 which offers 1 Mbps at Rs. 500, might be worth checking your area has got connectivity.

There website seems to be down at the moment ;) - But they seem to be very active on Wi5 and looks like they have expanded their service as well.

I know someone who worked for Hathway and it was indeed closed due to political reasons. For Chennai-ites there is a service from a company called Wi5 which offers 1 Mbps at Rs. 500, might be worth checking your area has got connectivity.

There website seems to be down at the moment ;) - But they seem to be very active on Wi5 and looks like they have expanded their service as well.

Curious - What exactly was the political game that was played? :)

Cheers

Well, my pathetic plan is better than yours for my needs:). I will finish the 15gb in 2 days and then rot in 256 kbps hell. If airtel switches me to this plan, I will switch to bsnl immediately.:lol:

Indeed, I am not a big downloader. My download reached double digits last month, for the first time ever, because I downloaded several versions of Ubuntu and quite a lot of software. Usually I stay within 5-6Gb/month. What matter to me, is that when I do download, it happens quickly. On my old BSNL unlimited-but-256Kb account, it would have been frustrating to the point of impossibility, for me, to download multi-Gb files.

Cheers
As I understand it (so don't rely on this!) it was getting into the TV cable business that did for them. Trod on toes. My wife had a big argument with the local cable guys because she got a Hathway STB before they stopped. She did get her money back: many didn't.

Hathway's last mile was controlled by what are called PCOs - private cable operators. The PCOs usually carry both TV signal and data signals for Internet.

In Mumbai PCOs are owned and operated by the mafia and local goondas. In Chennai, POCs are more organised in the sense that they are owned by political parties. The DMK owns bulk of the PCOs in Chennai.

About six months ago, discussions between Hathway and Sumangali Cables (owned by DMK) broke down. When this happened, all the Hathway cables in south Chennai were simply cut by Sumangali cables, forcing users to switch to Sumangali cables for TV.

Cheers

Mine is a 4 mbps Airtel unlimited connection and its around 1700/month. But they will reduce the speed to 256 if you cross 50GB of download in a month(Fair Usage Policy).

I Upgraded net connection from Reliance 300kbps speed avg 45-55(max goes 70+) unlimited Rental-649/-plus vat to Reliance 600kbps speed avg 65-85(max goes to 92+) unlimited Rental-649/-plus vat.

Hai all,

BSNL is increasing speed from 512 kbps to 4 Mbps for 900 unlimited plan.

Watchout for their announcement.

N.Murali

Hi,
Is there a way I can request a change of plan from the BSNL website? I remember doing this from a link on the site which I do not seem to find anymore. Also, the last time I requested a change of plan from the website, it did not take effect, though I received a confirmation on the website. Any inputs on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
Is there a way I can request a change of plan from the BSNL website? I remember doing this from a link on the site which I do not seem to find anymore. Also, the last time I requested a change of plan from the website, it did not take effect, though I received a confirmation on the website. Any inputs on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hai gh,

If you are in chennai this is the website :

Chennai Telephones,Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited(BSNL),India-Everything about Chennai Telephones

or

Alternately you can contact your nearest Customer Care Centre and apply in writing enclosing the last paid Landline Bill.

Hope this helps.

N.Murali

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back