Which Internet Connection are you using ??

BTW my friend in Spain has unlimited internet connection @50mbps.:eek:hyeah:
He finds my speed sooooo slow!:sad:

Using Airtel/384kbps/Unlimited/999 per month

Tried Airtel/2Mbps/15GB/1199 per month but with extensive VPN (WFH) usage, I was getting dangerously close to the 15GB limit. Over the 15GB limit, charges are INR600per GB, so I didn't want to enter that territory. In the last few days with that plan, I was having to check the data usage multiple times every day. Switched back to an unlimited plan and peace of mind.

I've been considering BSNL 2Mbps for a secondary line, but it's difficult to communicate with them if you don't know the local language. I had applied for a connection a few months back but the provisioning guy who contacted me didn't speak Hindi, English, Punjabi & Java :p & I can't speak Kannada! After I managed to get an interpreter, it was conveyed to me that my house doesn't fall in his jurisdiction :indifferent14:

Cheers!

BTW, do you guys know about Airtel's Fair Usage policy, which was introduced a few months back? Under that policy, even on unlimited plans, Airtel can throttle down your bandwidth to a lower speed if your usage exceeds a certain number of Gigs. For example: With a 384kbps unlimited plan, if I exceed 75Gigs, my bandwidth will become 256kbps for the remainder of the month.

Hi Reju,

Not to start an argument, but where exactly did you see this figure 226kbps download ? Did you perform any test on any of the speedtest websites ?

The reason why i am asking is that I am using an Airtel 512kbps unlimited connection and the max speed with tcp/ip tweak goes to 75kbps.. though for torrents it can vary based on many other parameters.

The speed which you mentioned is what i get in my office, where we have a T1 lines.

if possible, would you be able to try this link to see your speed : Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

You sure this tool is fine, since Riju has 256kbps speed but it shows 1.83mbps..?? weird...isnt it?

BTW, do you guys know about Airtel's Fair Usage policy, which was introduced a few months back? Under that policy, even on unlimited plans, Airtel can throttle down your bandwidth to a lower speed if your usage exceeds a certain number of Gigs. For example: With a 384kbps unlimited plan, if I exceed 75Gigs, my bandwidth will become 256kbps for the remainder of the month.

Well, Yea.. this is kinda confusing. NO such statement was ever provided when we apply for a new connection. I accidentally tripped over my limit of downloads once and i got a written communication about this Fair Usage Policy :mad: , but anyway that doesnt deter me from downloading :rolleyes:

But i really dont understand when they say about having an unlimited connection and then a FUP over that ..!!!! Ridiculous

Thank God there is no unfair usage charge from MTNL. Otherwise I would have been a poor man by now:D

You sure this tool is fine, since Riju has 256kbps speed but it shows 1.83mbps..?? weird...isnt it?

Well, yea it works perfectly at my home connection. I have 512 and get a speed of ~ 75kbps for torrents and the tool also shows a figure close to that.

Office connections are always different, since some might be FC or copper.. but very large companies normally opt for FC since its very costly to get leased lines in FC.

Yeah I began suspecting it a while back. My Torrents started dying out wit hlittle or no traffic all of a sudden. Nothing we can do about it ... :(

On the other hand it is not too unfair if other users suffer on the shared link.

Cheers

On the other hand it is not too unfair if other users suffer on the shared link.

Yeah, that's actually the justification they provide: http://www.airtel.in/applications/xm/Fair_Usage_Policy.pdf

I think it's a technical/capacity problem that they need to solve rather than inventing seemingly legit business cases and workflows to justify it. So, I don't agree it's fair for Unlimited users, but maybe it's just me.

But yea, each of the providers have their pluses and minuses; in the end, it's informed trade-offs the consumer has to make.

Cheers!

Are you sure, because internet connections are always "kilo bits per second" rather than kilobytes ... ????

ISPs will always advertise or mention their plan based on kilo bits per second (kbps)
But when we download, the downloading software normally measures in kilo bytes per second (kBps)
To convert from kbps to kBps you have to divide former by 8 (1 byte = 8 bits)
So when you have an internet connection at 256kbps, the max download speed will be 32kBps.

Last edited:
So when you have an internet connection at 256kbps, the max download speed will be 32 kBps.

Yep, agreed. So now i have 512 which divided by 8 would give me 64kBps download right ?

Reju: your internet connection statistics is actually beyond this calculation or am i missing something here?.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back