Midrange (mm/in): 2 x 165 / 6½
Tweeter (mm/in): 25 / 1
Power (w. lorng/short term): 200 / 300
Sensitivity (dB): 92
Frequency range (Hz): 40 - 20,000
Impedance (Ohm): 6
Weight (kg/lb): 21.2 / 46.3
Dimensions (mm/in): 970 x 215 x 369 / 38.2 x 8.5 x 14.5

Now I need to buy a AV receiver matching with S 718. My range is 15-20K.

My requirement is 70% music and 30% moview (I will buy center, rear and subwoofer later)

Please suggest which Amp to buy ?

Sujeet (9820480706)

Hi,

Sujeet first of all welcome to the forum ! Am sure will enjoy your stay here !!

Now coming to your AVR query,Am very sorry to say that the said budget is bit too low for the said towers as the only two AVR's available that are Yamaha 361 and marantz 301 ! both are rated 50W RMS max (approx.) which will be an underpowered AVR for your speakers !! hence will not do justice !

So I recommend you to either increase the budget or look for a Pre-Owned AVR !!

Please shed your thoughts on the above !!

Regards.

Hi,

Thanks for the warm and quick response. Ok I can increase my budget a little.(and / or For the price cut I may decide to take it from the grey market)

1. What is the power I should look (for AVR) as my speakers are with high sensitivity (92)?
2. Which all are the brand (with Model No) supports the S718 (keeping in mind that it is 6 ohms)

thanks in advance

Sujeet

Hi,

Sujeet I'd say instead of grey kindly look at pre-owned for the simple reason,in both the cases your are on your own with no warrenty what so ever ! of you buy it from grey there's no said advantage except you will buy a new model ! the risks involved in grey is a well known fact:p !

But if you choose to buy a pre-owned you will get a better model for the same price,you can find lot of people selling primarily to upgrade ! So you can be sure that it was neatly maintained and used with care !!

Anyway the decision is yours;) !

If you must look at the new models,here are few that might suit !

1.Yamaha 661
2.Denon 1908
3.Onkyo 606

All the three above will match ! and as far as the power is concerned I'd say a minimum of 80W (pure power not max) is required to drive the speakers properly !! agreed its high sensitive speaker but still that should be the ideal power to look at !!

Hope this helps :) !

Thanks buddy,

Let me put more thought on pre-owned amp.

The models you have metioned all are 8 ohms avr (1.Yamaha 661, 2.Denon 1908, 3.Onkyo 606), My speker box is 6 ohms would it be compatible with 8ohms AVR.

Hi,

Sujeet buddy where did you get that information from :confused: ??

No pal its not the case ! all the AVR's take 6 Ohms without a problem and infact if you read the company brochure of all the above three or visit their site its very very clearly mentioned the 6 Ohms compatibility with the wattage for the said impedance !!

So just relax and start hunting !!

Regards.

Hi,

I brought Jamo S 718 Floorstand. The specs are below

Specifications S 718
System: 3-way bass reflex
Woofer (mm/in): 254 /10
Midrange (mm/in): 2 x 165 / 6½
Tweeter (mm/in): 25 / 1
Power (w. lorng/short term): 200 / 300
Sensitivity (dB): 92
Frequency range (Hz): 40 - 20,000
Impedance (Ohm): 6
Weight (kg/lb): 21.2 / 46.3
Dimensions (mm/in): 970 x 215 x 369 / 38.2 x 8.5 x 14.5

Now I need to buy a AV receiver matching with S 718. My range is 15-20K.

My requirement is 70% music and 30% moview (I will buy center, rear and subwoofer later)

Please suggest which Amp to buy ?

Sujeet (9820480706)

how much did the S718 cost.

u can get a marantz Sr4001 in grey for about 20k.

I brought from shopping mall (e zone). S718 Cost me 24990/- with two year warrenty. The MRP is 29000/- in Jamo showroom.

Let me also look at marantz Sr4001 specs.

Hey Sujeet!!
I am selling my Marantz SR5001. Please check the 'for sale' thread and let me know if interested.

Hi,

Sujeet buddy where did you get that information from :confused: ??

No pal its not the case ! all the AVR's take 6 Ohms without a problem and infact if you read the company brochure of all the above three or visit their site its very very clearly mentioned the 6 Ohms compatibility with the wattage for the said impedance !!

So just relax and start hunting !!

Regards.

Thanks for the information.

1).

After a lot of r&d in the Mumbai market I found the rates of the following

Yahama
Rx 861 - 31000/-
Rx 1700 -42000/-
Rx V661- 23000/-

Denon
AVR 1908 - 26000/-
AVR 2307 - 29000/-
AVR 2803 - 35000/-
AVR 2808 - 50000/-

One more option is Onkyo SR 606 which is around 25000/-

I am planning to buy Denon 1908. What do you suggest.

2).

I was told by all the vendors that if I take less power AVR[80 w per channel on 6 ohms] (Considering my Drivers specs)then the amp may trip or it may get burn.

I need a help, Is it really true that if i buy a less power (60-80 w per channel on 6 ohms) it will have problems?

I have one old local made stereo amp which is very low power (IC based, transformer is 3 amp 12 v, which means it will not be more than 10 w pr channel). I could successfully played music for 1 hrs and amp did not get heated.

According to me the amp can only trip if there is a mismatch in the impedance.

Please suggest

Dear Sujeet,
Have a demo of Cambridge Audio CA 540R V3-- you may like it ! It costs Rs. 30000/- in Mumbai with papers.I am not an expert like so many in this forum but had demo of Denon, Marantz,Yamaha,Harmon cardon models in that price range ( Rs.26000-34000) in the recent past and liked the CA model.I think it has got ample power to drive your speakers. I am in the process of owning one .
Let me know about your experience after demo !

Wish you all the best.

Regards,
Siddhartha

Hi,

The Info by the vendors are partially true !! If you use a underpowered amp and use it at very high volumes (i,e increasing the volume to full or near to that) then certainly the amp will run out of breath and may tripp !! but this only if you playing with that kind of levels with your Amp otherwise its ok ! even you can use 10W amp and run for 10 hours without blowing it !!

It has to be understood that the more volume you raise in the amp the more power the gives to the speakers and some of the speakers are very power hungry and will draw more current in said high volumes !! so if the amp is already underpowered and has limited current capability then certainly it'll be overloaded and will eventually tripp !!

On the Amp front,I'd suggest you to check the new 663(replacement of old 661) and buy it ! one thing is it'll be more suited for movies and will be apt for the purpose !! Then the 1800 and 863 are also very very tempting one's if you can afford it !!

Regards.

Just thought of telling you that the Onkyo SR606 is retailing between 33000-36000 and it will be a good choice for Movie+Music, with slight inclination towards movies, it is certainly not as musical as the Marantz.

This is a suggestion and a question together :eek:

How does NAD T744 fit into Sujeet's requirements ?
Speaker handling wise ?
Price bracket ?

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks every one, I brought Yamha HTR 6040 with USB input, with my Jamo S718 speaker, it gives a good performance.

Only thing is now my source (DVD) is very low end and local made(passion) which I need to go for some good DVD player.
Thanks once again

Regards

Sujeet

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back