Which TV for 30K? - URGENT.

himeshj

Hi Guys,

Once again I turn to the forum for help and support. I need to buy a TV quickly to gift someone. The budget is max 30K. Could you kindly suggest what to buy? I'm in utter and total confusion and don't have time to do any research as have a v busy workday so am relying upon you gurus.

• Went to Croma yesterday and there are full HD 40 in LCD's from Croma and Vu available at 30-34K. Are they any good?
  • I'm also open to buying a plasma and saw Samsung PS43E400 at 33.5K which can perhaps be negotiated down to 30K. But was not too impressed with the PQ, the brightness seemed to be too less even compared to other plasmas from S'sung and LG.
  • Also got a quote from a "reliable" grey market dealer for Sony Bx32 for 23K which sounds like a good deal. But this is not a full HD, right? Any comments on this panel?

Would appreciate quick responses as I need to buy today or tomorrow.

Cheers.

Himesh

Sony Bx32 for 23K should not be a bad deal but remember that there is usually a volume issue in the BX series and you will need to crank the volume 50% and above to get to your ears in a moderate viewing distance. I have a BX22 and the side viewing angle is not so great but overall good bang for the bucks. Supports good numbe rof formats over USB.

For non grey market sets, I was otherwise willing to sugguest the 43 plasma from samsung, but considering your feedback I should suggest you to check out the same in another shop (may be a adjustment issue or your eyes got blazed with the nearby LEd tv that these people purposefully put). It should be the best VFM flat panel in that budget. Also check a few 40 inch plasmas from Panasonic at less than 40K.

Thanks Saikat,

That was quick! Appreciate your feedback on the volume issue with BX series but that does not "sound" like a dealbreaker to me :) This TV will most likely be used for satellite content with the occasional movie from DVD thrown in so USB feedback may not be critical here.

I am leaning more towards plasmas as of now. I bought a 50PQ70 LG for 50K some 3years back and have never regretted it.

Would welcome other suggestions from forum members!

Panasonic 42X50...........best entry level plasma!!! In shops they always make LED look better than plasma since they want to sell more. If you really want to demo a plasma tv, request the salesman to dim the lights and then have a look. Also the shops play around with display settings to make LED overpower plasma under bight light.
Some of the advantages you will get with plasma over LED..........black levels, contrast, accurate colours, and above all wide angle viewing.

Thanks for the suggestion, Aakashr. But 42X50 would be more expensive than my budget, right? X30 is available online for 33K or so (flipkart.com). Any idea what the price for X50 would be? I will be buying this in Delhi so would appreciate of someone could tell me a good source in Delhi/NCR.

I do understand the advantages of plasma but have a budget constraint as well! Can stretch a little, though...

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, Aakashr. But 42X50 would be more expensive than my budget, right? X30 is available online for 33K or so (flipkart.com). Any idea what the price for X50 would be? I will be buying this in Delhi so would appreciate of someone could tell me a good source in Delhi/NCR.

I do understand the advantages of plasma but have a budget constraint as well! Can stretch a little, though...

The reason why I suggested X50 and not X30 is because I don't really like X30. X50 has a new upgraded brighter panel and is part of the new 2012 line up. If you really have to go with X30, then suggest to go with Samsung........they would be better than X30. However, I strongly suggest you to stretch your budget and get the X50........you will not regret it!!!

The reason why I suggested X50 and not X30 is because I don't really like X30. X50 has a new upgraded brighter panel and is part of the new 2012 line up. If you really have to go with X30, then suggest to go with Samsung........they would be better than X30. However, I strongly suggest you to stretch your budget and get the X50........you will not regret it!!!
+1.

TV is not something you will buy too often. One should look at 5+ years of horizon. Buy a TV with good PQ, excellent detailing, etc.

The Panasonic X50/XT50 are excellent choices. The XT is the 3D model and you should buy this only if you are interested in 3D playback. The 42X50 should be around 40k while the 42XT50 will be around 48K.

A member here purchased the 50XT50 for 50K (without 3D glasses) from Metro Cash & Carry.

You can look at the Samsung 43E470 also that is around 40K or even less.

+1.

TV is not something you will buy too often. One should look at 5+ years of horizon. Buy a TV with good PQ, excellent detailing, etc.

The Panasonic X50/XT50 are excellent choices. The XT is the 3D model and you should buy this only if you are interested in 3D playback. The 42X50 should be around 40k while the 42XT50 will be around 48K.

A member here purchased the 50XT50 for 50K (without 3D glasses) from Metro Cash & Carry.

You can look at the Samsung 43E470 also that is around 40K or even less.

Hi J4K and Aakshar,

Appreciate your response but you see I'm not buying for myself and have a budget constraint since this is a gift. So I think I will go for X30 and hope to negootiate a price down to 28-30K. WOuld appreciate if anybody could give me a reference point for the price or better still direct me to a reliable source as X30 is not available everywhere.

There is a Metro Cash & Carry in Mumbai (google it). Check the prices out there.

Cash and Carry is too much trouble, you need a membership etc etc. And I need to buy in Delhi. SO will probably look at some local retailers.

Will update once I buy. Thanks everyone for your help.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back