Who won AV MAX Awards 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rupam

Hi hifivians from Mumbai,
Can you guys pls got a copy of AV MAX Jan 2012? Please tell me who won AV MAX Awards 2012.
Who won HTib Award in 2012?
In west bengal we get the copy after 12- 13th of month.

Can't wait to know the winners....:eek:hyeah:

Hi hifivians from Mumbai,
Can you guys pls got a copy of AV MAX Jan 2012? Please tell me who won AV MAX Awards 2012.
Who won HTib Award in 2012?
In west bengal we get the copy after 12- 13th of month.

Can't wait to know the winners....:eek:hyeah:

????

DO magzine review has any logic??:rolleyes::cool:

4-5 years back AV max claimed certain HT setup "best in India" , where it was in permanantly Dolby Pro logic mode ...Sub was not firing properly ( or may not firing at all) the person did not understood ; that may be ok ( as later we discovered he did not notice that his tweeter is not functioning , dunno how he was getting dialouges :eek:hyeah:) - BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MAGZINE? What kind of benchmark is set?:mad:

Hemant,

I think you need to get your facts right, in no way the magazine has claimed that my home theatre set up was best in India. The magazine may some times be wrong but if they are over all wrong then do you really think that they would have so much of sales? Therefore i feel it is not at all correct to claim that the magazine is not good.

About being permanently in pro logic mode, you know it very well that my knowledge with this is very less, this setting was done by Profix who sold me the denon's receiver so i was safe to assume that they have done the right setting. It was because of you and Spiro, i was able to get the better sound when you'll removed the prologic setting, it is no wonder i always say that the kind of true and correct help which we can get at the forum, often a professional may not be able to live up.

As far as the Sub goes, it surely is working but maybe not up to my satisfaction while about the tweeter, i did not know that it was not working but i did know that something could be wrong with the sound of my system, so again it was very nice of Spiro, to point out about the tweeter. The dialogues i think most of it comes from the center speaker.

I think it is not fair on your part to point out in the open about some drawbacks that to again and again. Please guide me with the true agenda on this repeated writings.

I have invited you twice or thrice at my house, but you never said a word of appreciation towards my theater or hospitality but you are quick to point out the drawbacks, do you think this is fair? If you can not praise then you automatically should loose the right to criticize etc that too in the open especially when you know my knowledge is less on some of the counts. In other words your knowledge could be a big zero in certain things while i would be knowing enough about it so would this mean that i have a licence to criticize you every now and then that too in the open?

On many occasional i have got private message about certain things about home theater and i have always told them that if i do not have knowledge then i tell them so and even if i know on something very well, i still encourage them to open a thread because that way one will get several views.

I have fair knowledge on mutual funds and trading in stock market and many a times i come across people with as good as very low knowledge but i never expose them negatively that they do not know anything and i always explain them nicely that how the things work in my trade.

I have never had any problems with you, but i do not know what is your problem with me in spite of i treating you very well and on 2 occasions i have offered you movies also while on the other hand you have never invited me to your place.

Regards

V.

Last edited:
Very interesting thread indeed, thought of replying to AVmax awards and have to go into other posting which is more more interesting.

I never rate Avmax as an Hifi Magazine. It is having pathetic views and information contains only for advertisement purposes and run only for making money. We cannot get an clear insight of an equipment and clear reviews of each an every item. Who pays money will get rewarded like that or who supports will be clearly rewarded.

All in all i am against AVmax...

This is personal view and it may be different for others and i am not responsible for that and also no way related to above 2 posting.

Regards

Sri,

It is indeed every one's view about the liking.

There are many a times i too do not like something, but it is still doing very well as a product so i safely assume that over all the product is well accepted by many therefore they are in the market from so many years, while if they were really bad then their business would have closed down etc.

To further up, there are so many movies which are block busters but i never watch them so i end up assuming that my choice is not in order per over all public.

V.

Yes, you are right, all everything is personal.

Very exceptionally few , every movie are backed up with heavy money placed for the advertisement part to lure the common man to come to theaters to make it blockbuster. Few bite the dust in spite of putting heavy money on the road, which is because of personal choice + reviews spilled over net.

Sri,

Indeed it could be true.

In stock market too if the market is rising rapidly then it could be a trap to get the common man and other big guns in, once this happens then maybe they will drop the market therefore when market is rising, many of us watch certain parameters and if the rise can withstand the parameters in question, then we do pull the trigger in form of a "Buy", by following this mode many a times we have won, but then we loose too.

V.

Yes, you are right, all everything is personal.

Very exceptionally few , every movie are backed up with heavy money placed for the advertisement part to lure the common man to come to theaters to make it blockbuster.

Last edited:
Mr, hemant,Mr. Sri,

First of all, let me clarify that I'm not associate in any way with AV MAX or any publication media. All I want to say is that AV MAX, when it started in 2001, was an exceptional hi fi magazine in India.
I still remember my college days when I bought the First published copy of AV MAX. The reviews were unbiased, the write-ups were not rip off from internet and well suited for indian audience. I have First 3 year issues of AV MAX still with me. Then the magazine standard started to falter. The page and print quality were the first victim. All my AV gears, I have bought (2000-2004) were AV MAX best buy. So I know that earlier their review do reflect the real life quality of product. So I do used to hold them in high regard. I

I was not subscribed to AV MAX during 2000-2010. (bought 3-5 issues randomly in these years). So don't know about the quality of that period. Meanwhile WHAT HI FI stared their Indian version publication. In my point of view, most of their review are copy pasted from WHAT HI FI UK and at the end of the review, they just mention that India equivalent model number and cost! It sucks. And they also have a section called "India's hottest kit reviewed" --- a consolation prize for Indian audience. But the Magazine do have a very good buyers guide and print quality is very high.

So why I'm eager for AV MAX awards? Because I have real proof that their Best buy products are indeed a best buy. (well there will be ofcourse other models which can be equally good or which may not have been tested)

Stop being so snub. Try to acknowledge that when AV MAX started publication, there were very little consciousness about real Hifi products in Indian people. And AV MAX always stated that it was their duty to educate the mass about these products.
You may have a detail knowledge about hifi but it does not mean that you are only one who have the right to judge the products and have views on them.
How on earth are we get to know the new products without advertisement? Each Company needs an advertising platform. It can be a magazine or it can be a fest. Do you know that AV MAX also organizes AV Expo?

And money for Award? Well, tell me name of one award where there is zero % objectivity and not a 1 % of lobbying (money too)
Nobel Prize ?
Oscar prize?
Padmashee awards?

And here you are whining about mere AV MAX Awards.

You know what is the biggest award? Its PEACE of MIND.

and thats what I got when I bought AV MAX best buy.

Last edited:
Mr, hemant,Mr. Sri,

. All I want to say is that AV MAX, when it started in 2001, was an exceptional hi fi magazine in India.
I still remember my college days when I bought the First published copy of AV MAX. The reviews were unbiased, the write-ups were not rip off from internet and well suited for indian audience.

I still have the copy of 1st issue.I recollect that it had a group test of Sony,Panasonic,Kenwood music system.Also some Onkyo hifi system & speakers reviewed.The quality of pages was very good & used to like to see the hifi photos.But now I have also found that some times they finish their reviews very fast without proper setup.I remember they claimed one hifi stereo system as average which was indeed good combo.When read carefully,I found their source player was philips DVDp & not even entry level CDp.

Mr, hemant,Mr. Sri,

And here you are whining about mere AV MAX Awards.

You know what is the biggest award? Its PEACE of MIND.

and thats what I got when I bought AV MAX best buy.

You never get piece of mind if you buy based on the reviews.. Why people keep changing the kits after buying based on the reviews too,,,,,,:eek:hyeah:

Please note only in forums you will get correct review based on individual listening and taste,,, all else involved commercial motive,,,

Yes you do get....if you buy the right product. Atleast that what I experienced.
and talking about upgrades...there is a saying in hindi jitna guur dalo utna meetha hoga.
If you are satisfied with a 100 rupees headphone, then you are bound to be more satisfied with 1000 rupees headphone, even its not on the review list. Because now you are gonna review it ......

And remember the man who counts the bits of food he swallows is never satisfied.

I have no idea about the credibility of the reviews from this magazine. But I just checked spiro's link to the webpage (2011 awards) only to see Polk RM705 awarded the best in HTiB category. All I can say is that this system sounded like crap to my ears, when I heard them in a Profx showroom. Contrarily, Polk RM6750 was awesome and it deserves the award IMHO (ofcourse not a 2011 model). According to me Polk RM6750 > Onkyo 3300/3400 > Polk RM705.

May be such magazines could be a fairly acceptable reference for shortlisting preferred models and then seek further opinion through audition or through FMs to narrow down the final purchase. In short, they are good for reading and understanding the trends and latest releases, but not ideal for making crucial purchase out of your hard earned money. You see, nothing can replace a personal audition. Period. :cool:

I do ocassionally read AV max. Their reviews are hilarious, a lot of spelling and grammatical errors (stuff like whooping instead of whopping - former is the name of a disease or a bird:lol: and tow in instead of toe in), weird rating system and titles for tests, and it seems most high priced equipment ends up being recommended. Also I guess they do not have any measurement equipment (probably none of them know how to use it even if they do) and the specs. - such as power ratings, are blindly quoted- from product manuals or manufacturer literature. However they do have indicative pricing of equipment and decent updates on what new equipment is in the market. So in that respect they are ok - if one needs independent verification of price.
Cheers,
Sid

Please note only in forums you will get correct review based on individual listening and taste,,, all else involved commercial motive,,,

Are you sure about that? Forums can easily be hijacked by commercial motives. Good moderation is required, so all forums may not qualify as per your criteria.

Are you sure about that? Forums can easily be hijacked by commercial motives. Good moderation is required, so all forums may not qualify as per your criteria.

Yep, I know pretty well forum can be hijacked by commercial motives. Here itself i can see that very well ..:p

You have to spend some time watching and reading the forum who is putting the right thing openly and strongly criticize other members faults if their decision is wrong. Start following him and start correspond with him and you will end up in right thing.

Regards

Polk RM6750 was awesome and it deserves the award IMHO (ofcourse not a 2011 model). According to me Polk RM6750 > Onkyo 3300/3400 > Polk RM705.

May be such magazines could be a fairly acceptable reference for shortlisting preferred models and then seek further opinion through audition or through FMs to narrow down the final purchase. In short, they are good for reading and understanding the trends and latest releases, but not ideal for making crucial purchase out of your hard earned money. You see, nothing can replace a personal audition. Period. :cool:

Actually magazines review many hifi stuffs through out the year & they select best from those.Many times best systems are not made available for demo by dealers & so they will not comment of those product.So naturally best systems are declared from their reviews/options only.

<snip>Please note only in forums you will get correct review based on individual listening and taste,,, all else involved commercial motive,,,
I disagree. The magazine reviewers are human too just like the forum members [though by our behaviour it may seem otherwise :D]. And no 2 ears are the same. What one likes [or hears] may not be to the others lliking. Reviews, by forum members or magazines should ALWAYS be taken as a starting point or for shortlisting equipment. In the end, it is your ears who should decide. Irrespective of the fancypant brand names :lol:

I disagree. The magazine reviewers are human too just like the forum members [though by our behaviour it may seem otherwise :D]. And no 2 ears are the same. What one likes [or hears] may not be to the others lliking. Reviews, by forum members or magazines should ALWAYS be taken as a starting point or for shortlisting equipment. In the end, it is your ears who should decide. Irrespective of the fancypant brand names :lol:

I agree, but the magazine reviewers have two ears only and they are getting paid to use the two ears and will be biased. Here you are getting free review based on individual taste as told earlier and you have to start looking into it.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back