Why Soundbar quality is not par with AVR/Amp + Speakers build? Is it Amp or Speakers in Soundbar culprit?

swamytk

Pretty much title says everything. Why Soundbar quality is not par with AVR/Amp + Speakers build (due respect to exceptions)? Is it Amp or Speakers in Soundbar culprit? I am planning to phase out my Philips HTL2163B/12 Soundbar. I would like to dissect it for the sake of tinkering. Understanding weak point of Soundbar internal is important to improve the same. Your opinion will be helpful in this context.

Simplest answer: physics.

As someone who's owned both soundbars (JBL Bar 5.1, Polk Magnifi, Vizio) and full Atmos/stereo setups in the past three years, I have some experience.

Physics because:
1. Driver size. Conventional surround systems have much much larger drivers (at least 4", mostly 5.25-6") than soundbars (1-2" typically). This reflects in poor dynamics, clarity and obviously inferior "feel" of sound.
2. Soundstage. Cramming all your speakers into a 3-4ft space means that a soundbar can't come close to the separation and sound stage of a conventional stereo setup, forget a surround one.
3. The center channel. Most soundbars (especially budget ones) are 2.1 configurations, not 3.1 as they ought to be. A dedicated center makes a world of difference in vocal clarity.

Those are the most significant differences, IMO.

Are you comparing soundbars to 2.1 or 5.1 systems?
Soundbars claiming surround sound work on reflection off side and rear walls (and ceiling also these days :) ). They work best in small to medium symmetrical rooms.
soundbar.jpg

Are you comparing soundbars to 2.1 or 5.1 systems?
Soundbars claiming surround sound work on reflection off side and rear walls (and ceiling also these days :) ). They work best in small to medium symmetrical rooms.
View attachment 37070
That should be called 'pseudosurround' and the speakers create a surround much more realistic than a soundbar. Soundbar just cannot achieve the level of a 2.1 and above speaker setup. It only beats the latter in one aspect: Effective Footprint! If space is one's issue and one wants something with simplicity to just plug and play, one should just get a value soundbar like YAS-108 and forget about AVRs and proper speaker combinations.

Yes physics is the thing. I am sure the best soundbar out there - sennheiser ambeo can be besten by speakers around costing half of its price.

Soundbar is a fast food version of the gourmet cuisine (speakers & amps). It is not one single ingredient that makes or breaks it. The whole approach and intent is different

That's exactly what I'm implying to. Soundbars are king of low footprint sound.
I don't hate them though. Sometimes in a well designed elegant living room, the boxy boxes can be nuisance. Boxes fit well in a man cave better. Also, the pseudo surround thing will get more perfect when manufactures take it seriously. For that ppl should buy it more. As long as it wont kill our stereo hobby it's nice to have more tech there.

Pretty much title says everything. Why Soundbar quality is not par with AVR/Amp + Speakers build (due respect to exceptions)? Is it Amp or Speakers in Soundbar culprit? I am planning to phase out my Philips HTL2163B/12 Soundbar. I would like to dissect it for the sake of tinkering. Understanding weak point of Soundbar internal is important to improve the same. Your opinion will be helpful in this context.

Soundbars are designed to amplify the flat TVs which cannot house proper speakers......no way can be compared to a 5.1 or even a proper 2.1 system!

There are a few soundbars from expensive brands which seem to provide punchy sound....most prefer soundbars in small rooms where space is a challenge or who want to achieve 5.1 sound with a soundbar within a low budget!

Besides amplification IC powered circuit boards (like LA4440 or STK ) are used which would ideally be at 4 ohms or 3 ohms etc.....speaker drivers also do matter...quality of cones etc.....

The BOSE GS or GSX 321 system was a hit when launched. I briefly owned the same for 2 years....one of the best sounding systems then. Now ofcourse have crammed my place with bookshelf speakers and a hefty SR series Marantz!

Soundbars are designed to amplify the flat TVs which cannot house proper speakers......no way can be compared to a 5.1 or even a proper 2.1 system!

There are a few soundbars from expensive brands which seem to provide punchy sound....most prefer soundbars in small rooms where space is a challenge or who want to achieve 5.1 sound with a soundbar within a low budget!

Besides amplification IC powered circuit boards (like LA4440 or STK ) are used which would ideally be at 4 ohms or 3 ohms etc.....speaker drivers also do matter...quality of cones etc.....

The BOSE GS or GSX 321 system was a hit when launched. I briefly owned the same for 2 years....one of the best sounding systems then. Now ofcourse have crammed my place with bookshelf speakers and a hefty SR series Marantz!
Moreover a full blown passive speaker-AVR system would cost you a lot so then soundbars are a viable budget solution I think. I mean only in case if the listener just wants to get the job done and that's it, no audiophile stuff of course.

Moreover a full blown passive speaker-AVR system would cost you a lot so then soundbars are a viable budget solution I think. I mean only in case if the listener just wants to get the job done and that's it, no audiophile stuff of course.

Yes......thats what seems to happen nowadays almost everywhere!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back