WiFi 6 Router suggestions

Nchavva

Hi All,
My new flat has wifi router provision at red colour marked place. Please suggest WIFi router/extender/mesh to cover wifi complete house.
IMG_20220614_073926.jpg

Hi All,
My new flat has wifi router provision at red colour marked place. Please suggest WIFi router/extender/mesh to cover wifi complete house.
WiFi Mesh system is your best bet.

Place one of these in the red-colour-marked area, and another in the dining area. This should easily cover the whole area. The second device is connected wirelessly, need not worry about pulling a LAN cable. You only will need a power source at the second device's location.
If possible, maintain a line of sight with the main 1st device as much as you can when you place the second device.

IMG_20220614_073926.jpg

WiFi Mesh system is your best bet.

Place one of these in the red-colour-marked area, and another in the dining area. This should easily cover the whole area. The second device is connected wirelessly, need not worry about pulling a LAN cable. You only will need a power source at the second device's location.
If possible, maintain a line of sight with the main 1st device as much as you can when you place the second device.

View attachment 70006
Thank you. For each room lan cable already pulled can we use that ?

You can connect the second device (or as many from the same family of devices) to LAN in each room. But, it wouldn't be required for the square footage you've mentioned. Get these two first, if need be add more later.

Iam running a tplink ax1500 router and corresponding ax1500 range extender for 3bhk without issues for home and official work. Works perfectly inclusive of a web server running from my location.
If I were to buy now though, I will be looking at a ax3000 setup which is the current sweet spot. But it wont do much for purely internet setup since speeds are capped far below 1500 in household setups. Mine gives consistent ~300+ speed on a 300mbps connection.

I have an Airtel connection and the Airtel router is on one end of the flat. I have repurposed my old TPLink Archer c60 router to boost the signal at the other end of the flat. I have not used a Lan connection. Works great. Devices seamlessly switch between the routers.

Use a UPS for all routers so that is there no connection drop during a power failure. For my TP link I am using a flat palm sized router ups.

MaSh

Since you already have Lan cable available in each room, I wouldn't bother for a mesh router. I would go for a AX router to be future proof (for couple of years). You need to add just one more router in one of the BR on the opposite side to get a full coverage across the house.
Before investing on a mesh router, try to use one of the existing routers that you might have or borrow one and test.
Even if you have Giga broadband service, using a cable connection is always better than tri band back haul used in mesh routers.
Check out Asus, Netgear or TPLink routers. I use Netgear AX20 router and pretty happy about it. But using a router UPS is must if you don't have online home UPS.

based on reviews from SNB id suggest an AX86U from ASUS, ive ordered one from US and i should be receiving it tomorrow, importing it is the only option as it isnt available locally.

LAN cabling to every room is th emost important - and you have done that already.

Suggest look at Asus router models.
- The Asus router interface is very easy to use
- All their routers have the capability to work as a wired access point (WAP). Setup the main one as a router, and all the rest as WAPs
- Some of their models can also work in wired mesh mode

Since you already have Lan cable available in each room, I wouldn't bother for a mesh router. I would go for a AX router to be future proof (for couple of years). You need to add just one more router in one of the BR on the opposite side to get a full coverage across the house.
Before investing on a mesh router, try to use one of the existing routers that you might have or borrow one and test.
Even if you have Giga broadband service, using a cable connection is always better than tri band back haul used in mesh routers.
Check out Asus, Netgear or TPLink routers. I use Netgear AX20 router and pretty happy about it. But using a router UPS is must if you don't have online home UPS.
Thank you somuch.
Can you explain how to connect 2 routers ? Both routers will have same wifi user name ? Or do we need to switch wifi to nearest router for better signal ?

which is best option
1. TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000 + wifi extender = around 10K
2. TP-Link Deco x20 (AX1800) + gigaHz switch = 15K -> mesh network has only one port.

please suggest any other set-up is better than 2

Hi All,
View attachment 70005
I have a similar kind of set-up, and my years-old ASUS RT-AC68U is still going strong. That said, I am positive you won't repent with their new RT-AX68U WiFi 6 routers.

Thank you somuch.
Can you explain how to connect 2 routers ? Both routers will have same wifi user name ? Or do we need to switch wifi to nearest router for better signal ?
Could you please share the information about your modem /source router near your main door? I guess you are going to get a fiber broadband (FTTH) or ACT broadband kind of connection, where you get CAT cable from their switch.?in case of FTTH, (Airtel, Jio Fiber) you get a Modem - Router and in case of CAT cable connection they provide a wireless router (You can use your own router too)
Depending on the type of broadband you have, we can think of different options.
Also, it would be good to understand your usage before jumping in to spending thousands of rupees on a Mesh router. How many devices you use, are you into gaming, how many streaming devices will be used simultaneously etc. (even streaming using multiple mobile phones to be considered)

If you have a FTTH Gpon modem-router, connect one end of the lan cable to the lan port and other and to the WAN port of the repeater in your bedroom. Setup the bedroom router as repeater. With same SSID and password and devices will connect to one of the router seamlessly depending on the strength of the signal. You won't even notice the network shift from one router to the other.

If you are using ACT broadband, you can connect the CAT cable coming in to the house to the LAN port in your entrance and connect the wireless router to the LAN port that is in the center of the house. One wireless router could cover the entire house that way.

which is best option
1. TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000 + wifi extender = around 10K
2. TP-Link Deco x20 (AX1800) + gigaHz switch = 15K -> mesh network has only one port.

please suggest any other set-up is better than 2
Both of these are dual band. I'd strongly suggest a tri-band system, so you aren't sacrificing client bandwidth for the backhaul.
Wifi-6 isn't that important (yet). You are better off spending the premium for that on a tri-band system instead. Unless you are using an ethernet wired backhaul.

Both of these are dual band. I'd strongly suggest a tri-band system, so you aren't sacrificing client bandwidth for the backhaul.
Wifi-6 isn't that important (yet). You are better off spending the premium for that on a tri-band system instead. Unless you are using an ethernet wired backhaul.
OP has stated that he has done LAN cabling to all rooms. Therefore obvious choice is to use that as ethernet wired back haul.
Hence I do nto think Tri band is required.

Thank you somuch.

There are a lot of You tube videos which explain how to do it.

Choose the routers first. Many (including me) have reccomended Asus for this sort of setup.

For example :

1. An inexpensive one would be the Asus RT-AC59U @ Rs 5K

Its a gigabit dual band router with Asus AImesh tech built in - ie you can connect several of them and setup your own mesh.

2. A top of the line one would be the Asus RT-AX6100 @ Rs 21K

Its a Wifi6 triband router and also has AImesh tech.

My view :
- the key really is the lan cabling which you have already done
- now you do not need to spend on really expensive routers, just put several cheaper ones and you will get better performance
- buy 1 RT-AC59U router for each room. connect them with the lan cabling.
- setup the one which connects to your ISP as a router and the rest as WAPs
- turn on AI Mesh

You will have seamless coverage throughout your house.

Search youtube for instructions on setting up AI mesh for the actual Asus router model that you buy.

It's a simple app-based set-up for the TP-link Deco. Download the app and follow the instructions, as simple as that.
It'll also guide you in connecting the second device. The SSID (WiFi user name) will remain the same for both devices. In a mesh system, your device will jump between the router with the strongest signal, since SSID is the same, the switch over is seamless.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back