Will a CDP improve the music performance in my setup ?

sunilkm

Hi,

This is my current setup

Pioneer BDP-160/Pioneer DVP ------> Yamaha RX-V477 AVR -----> Diamond 220 bookshelf.
Connection is through HDMI, so the DAC in RX-V477 is used assuming it would be better than DAC in BDP/DVD. Also HDMI connection is easy..

I am planning to add an entry level CDP Marantz CD5005, if it make sense and value in my current setup.

These are my doubts:

1) Will it improve the music listening by adding cd5005?
2) Generally what is the recommended connection from CDP to AVR as both are having DACs built in?

Should I be connecting the cd5005 analog RCA out to RX-V477 analog in as I guess a dedicated CDP will have superior DAC than an entry level AVR.
cd5005 used Cirrus logic CS4398 DAC and RX-V477 uses Burr-brown DAC. Not sure about model number.

Please help.

Hi,

This is my current setup

Pioneer BDP-160/Pioneer DVP ------> Yamaha RX-V477 AVR -----> Diamond 220 bookshelf.
Connection is through HDMI, so the DAC in RX-V477 is used assuming it would be better than DAC in BDP/DVD. Also HDMI connection is easy..

I am planning to add an entry level CDP Marantz CD5005, if it make sense and value in my current setup.

These are my doubts:

1) Will it improve the music listening by adding cd5005?
2) Generally what is the recommended connection from CDP to AVR as both are having DACs built in?

Should I be connecting the cd5005 analog RCA out to RX-V477 analog in as I guess a dedicated CDP will have superior DAC than an entry level AVR.
cd5005 used Cirrus logic CS4398 DAC and RX-V477 uses Burr-brown DAC. Not sure about model number.

Please help.

Before investing in DAC, try to get it on loan from FMs in your city. If you want to really feel the difference in sound then try audio-GD DACs or DAC based on wolfson chip. If you want to listen to my experience about various DACs, PM me.

Thanks dheeraj for the advice.
I am more interested in a CDP because it will be a good source+DAC.
Have been using the Pioneer DVD player for many years.
My main usage is CD playback.

Not looking to buy a standalone DAC as not much in to digital or computer based music.

I doubt if you will stand to gain anything over your blu ray player on your HT setup. If a quality cd player is added, the weak link will end up as the receiver. The lower rung receivers don't do so good in the stereo department.

The cd player you have in mind should have a far superior dac than what is on your Yamaha receiver so if you must connect one, I'd take the analog output from the cd player to your receiver.

There could be marginal difference between CDP DAC Vs AVR DAC... Anyways as other FM suggested, try to loan a CDP from someone in your city, hear it & then take a shot..

As Sandeep mentioned above, in a HT setup, a entry level AVR is too weak a link to reveal any change in the chain. That said, a dedicated CDP will be definitely a step forward and its benefits will be realized later when you move to a capable stereo AMP.

Not looking to buy a standalone DAC as not much in to digital or computer based music.

Two things that you have complete misconceptions about:
1. You are already into digital based music. CD is as much digital as it gets.
2. A DAC will be far better investment, than an entry level CDP, considering your BDP-160 can work as a decent transport for the time being.

sunilkm, Do you have most of your music on CD's? If yes, and you prefer spinning discs more than using a PC, close your eyes and get a dedicated CDP. Imho, dedicated CDP makes a significant difference.
I went through a similar path. Initially I used an AVR with DVDp/PC on board sound/ Cowon portable player etc. For me the substantial difference came when I used an two channel integrated amp and CDP! So I would suggest you borrow an integrated stereo amp and then get something like an ODAC if you are fine with PC playback.

Adding CD player to the setup will definitely improve sound image, to my ears i could hear good difference between bluray player and CDP. CD5005 has a superior DAC and it should sound far better than receiver. Take analog out from CDP to receiver.

Two things that you have complete misconceptions about:
1. You are already into digital based music. CD is as much digital as it gets.
2. A DAC will be far better investment, than an entry level CDP, considering your BDP-160 can work as a decent transport for the time being.

Thanks.Yes it is my mistake of using "digital". What i really meant is mostly I hear CDs than downloaded files or through PC.

sunilkm, Do you have most of your music on CD's? If yes, and you prefer spinning discs more than using a PC, close your eyes and get a dedicated CDP..

Yes even though not huge collection mostly I am playing CDs. Eventhough I play downloaded MP3s in USB, I feel more happy by playing CDs. I think this is due to more of a feeling to see physical media spinning.. :)

So going for a solid player came to my mind

Not a big deal. It is not really a misconception, more of slip of mind :)

Anyway, so what have you decided upon? Going for a CDP?

Yes, planning to add the CDP, may not be immediate purchase.
Thanks all for the valuable suggestions.

cd5005 used Cirrus logic CS4398 DAC and RX-V477 uses Burr-brown DAC. Not sure about model number

Let me start with the disclaimers. I don't have a CD spinner. I have one on an old PC which runs EAC though.

The second is that I am rather new to this good DAC but have been very quickly converted.

Marantz uses the same DAC chip in the 5005, the 6005, the network player 7004, the amp I have (PM 6005) etc. interesting. I have read that it is the analog part of the DAC that really matters. Having spent my money to find out, I say "yes ofc"

see this http://www.hifivision.com/dac/46949-schiit-gungnir-my-experience-my-dilemma-4.html#post544102

I agree. On another thread I posted that for instance Billy Joel's half a mile away or gnr paradise city were hopeless sound smears with the marantz, (unlistenable almost). I prefer what the bifrost does by a big margin.

My personal conviction that the CD / file player is just transport is stronger than ever.

I'd think that getting a DAC is the way forward. The 25k for a 5005 or 36K for the 6005 will probably get you a much better DAC than in those players.

ciao
gr

Yesterday I have connected the analog out of BDP-160 to AVR to check.
( bdp-160 HDMI was already connected to AVR ).

While playing the song I have switched between HDMI IN and AV IN in AVR.
The analog out gave a "smooth" and warm sound. It was more easy to the ears and my liking. Also the vocal became more open. When switched to HDMI I felt the sound was more of a "movie" sound due to the crisp nature. I did this experiment for few familiar songs.
I think the DAC in BDP-160 is not so bad even though may not match to a CDP DAC.

Yesterday I have connected the analog out of BDP-160 to AVR to check.
( bdp-160 HDMI was already connected to AVR ).

While playing the song I have switched between HDMI IN and AV IN in AVR.
The analog out gave a "smooth" and warm sound. It was more easy to the ears and my liking. Also the vocal became more open. When switched to HDMI I felt the sound was more of a "movie" sound due to the crisp nature. I did this experiment for few familiar songs.
I think the DAC in BDP-160 is not so bad even though may not match to a CDP DAC.

Yes, that's true. BDP-160 have quite decent analog out. I also compared BDP-160 to a dedicated DAC (like Audio-gd and Rega DAC). There is definite difference but not that far. It is smooth and mellow sounding, just little less vivid than those dedicated DAC.

The weakest link is your AVR.
What's your budget and what are you looking for?

Don't waste money till you decide just what you want.
Remember, buying abcd now and realising soon this is not the right buy will only end in hassles

Decide what you want and how much you are ready to spend first.

Case1: CDP -> Digital output -> AVR DAC = Sound quality depends on AVR (DAC), Implies CDP is just a transport (any dvd player w/ digital out put will do)

Case2: CDP -> Analogue Output to AVR -> CDP (DAC) in this case Cyrus CS-4398 -> almost same sound as Yamaha's burrbrown.

So my point is unless you have a Integrated Amp. CDP makes no sense.

Nothing like a good CD Player...but the big question is how long will optical media rule the market in the age of legal and illegal Internet downloads.....

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back