will be going in for Lyrita Audio

To throw in another spanner in the works, Magnequest trannies are also ranked among the best available. Check their website and forum out, it's interesting. Mike LeFevre is the owner.

Hi,

Prem gotta get it. No two ways bout it. Sounds like a whole new set up from the first song. More enveloping, am hearing more. Playing a ventures lp rip Anil had done and then sent me me a copy. Sounds fuller more fleshed out than the integrated SET. Now excuse me while I go grin stupidly at my system ))))

Steven,are you listening with the 2A3 or 45's?

Regards
Rajiv

Hi George

Dave Slagle himself is a believer in SET. He also listens to Lowthers. Hence i felt confident of his product.

Hi,

Interesting that Dave Slagle winds a 5K transformer for the 2A3.:)

From the Intact audio website.

Amorphous and Nickel SE output transformers

Designed to fit your system. We offer a single impedance to load version on an amorphous or nickel core. Rather than randomly apply impedance values, we work with you to optimize the design to fit your specific application. A 5K:8R sample to load a 2A3 delivered full power down to 10hz at -1dB and hit -1db at 55khz and -3dB at -85khz.

Priced From $550 each.

Prem,the 80% nickel transformers look to be quite big.

hifi heroin: Silver and Gold.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Will put in the 2a3s in the evening and listen

Steven you will be surprised at how the 2A3 sounds with a 5K transformer.:)

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Yes, the transformers are big. On whether the 80% nickel or the 49% nickel, Viren will take the final call.

Hi Corelement

Added cost will be approx US$ 3000. Improvements will largely be in the area of low level information as well as in the extremes.

You can get a SET amp for $1000 and there are a few which cost in excess of $ 10000. The dramatic increase in cost is primarily because of better transformers.

Last edited:
Yowsers Prem. That's quite a bit of change but should be worth it when it's those extra bits that elevate the whole sound. The autoformer sounds interesting. Would one be able to take out the existing volume in a preamp and wire this in? How much does it cost? The ones on slagles site were 350$ but are these with a case and everything?

Regards

www.vinylnvalves.blogspot.in

Hi Stevieboy

The $350 comes without a case. With the case its $1250. I think it can be fitted in your existing pre. The face plate may have to be changed since the vol control will have 4 knobs. 2 each for left and right. 1 for balance and 1 for vol. Bal is in 1.25 db steps. Vol is in 3 db steps.

it may not fit in the existing chassis, but will a new chassis that includes both - will it get too large?

Hehe sure it will. Too large however depends on your point of view. Technically am not sure if being in the same chassis will lead to issues of hum or stuff like that. Lifting the SET power amp is a huge task add to that the weight of the DHT and it will become quite a bit!

Regards

www.vinylnvalves.blogspot.in

Stevieboy, Viren was saying with the autoformer he may not need the cap in the pre. But he will be able to confirm only once he hears it.

Yes Stevieboy, i will be ordering it along with the interstage transformers, output transformers and the chokes.

Everything ordered

80% nickel output transformers
49% nickel interstage transformers
nickel chokes for both power and pre amp
28 step autoformer vol control with Elma switch
Superior Electric speaker binding posts

Should be on the way to Viren by end of month

Thanks Viren and Rajiv for all the inputs

Everything ordered

80% nickel output transformers
49% nickel interstage transformers
nickel chokes for both power and pre amp
28 step autoformer vol control with Elma switch
Superior Electric speaker binding posts

Should be on the way to Viren by end of month

Thanks Viren and Rajiv for all the inputs

prem

I can't understand what you have ordered as I have never delved into tube/amp terminology. But I am pretty sure the results are going to be well worth the money and effort. I will keep tuning into this thread to find out the latest happenings. And I expect that the financial headroom and better components will give Mr. Viren Bakshi the freedom to build a truly memorable amp for you! I hope that your amp becomes the overture to a new line of high end Lyrita amps!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back