Wireless Streaming - Bluray ISO

manny9

Hi All: I'm looking for a powerful N router / bridge which is capable of streaming blu ray rips/iso (full1080p) through wireless. Has anyone achieved this? Running wire is not an option for me.

With my old linksys G router i'm able to stream 720p movies but blu ray rips gets stuck....

Please let me know.

Even with Wifi N, full BD ISO would stutter, (BD rips might be okie). It does not depend on the resolution, but more on the bitrate ....... higher the over all bitate, more the bandwidth required. It also depends on the quality if N network you might have.

usually 8-10mbps bitrate files stream okie on a wifi n (tested on my wifi N). Blurays usually have bitrate varying between 20mbps to 40mbps ........ depending on Audio Video Quality and the codec (MPEG 2, AVC or VC-1) .

Last edited:
Thanks Sam, its a huge handicap for me right now and i'm hoping if I can resolve it since I can't run CAT5 cables....hoping someone in this forum is successful in doing this...

^^ As long as you are not streaming full BD ISO, or rips with too high bitrate, you should be fine. But Wifi connection is never as stable as wired. Even if it breaks for fraction of a second, it wont make a difference while browsing, but movie watching experience is ruined .... its always suggested to get a wired connection done, that too on a gigabit lan with cat5e or 6 for HD movie viewing.

With Wireless N Band and on 5 GHZ band I have been able to play Full HD BD Rips and also BD ISOs through my Xtreamer Pro. But the only downside of the 5Ghz band is its limited range and speed drops with the increase in distance.

In my home network I have been able to achieve a thought put rate of 150-200 Mbps for Data Streaming with the help of an Airport Express and then using the same for connecting with 5Ghz band on my Linksys WRT610n Router.

A lot also depends on your Media Player and its capability to Buffer.

But as Sam suggested its always better to have a wired Cat 6 network than wireless. As wireless is very un predictable and depends on lot of external factors.

Last edited:
Thanks Sam, its a huge handicap for me right now and i'm hoping if I can resolve it since I can't run CAT5 cables....hoping someone in this forum is successful in doing this...

manny, after going by this route for almost 2 years (wifin N dual band + NAS) I have finally settled with a separate desktop HDD connected directly to the media player over USB, this HDD keeps only the 10+ GB movie files and rest of the movie files upto 7/8 GB are streamed over wifi from NAS.

In the past even if I had managed to stream 10+GB files on rare ocassions over wifi, the problem I faced was when trying to do fast forward or skip. My ASUS O Play always used to get stuck for long and at times unresponsive.

Thanks Guys....

The only reason I had some hope is becaz my old G router is able to stream 4-6 GB HD movies and was hoping a powerful N router will do the trick....yeah fast forward or skip would be a problem. Since wired connection is not an option i'm thinking if i can risk a 5K investment on a router :)

How is the blu ray rip streaming through USB 2.0? I have popcorn hour A210 and it doesn't have usb 3.0 or gigabit connection. If USB 2.0 then may be i can go with a dedicated HDD...I will try this today...but if you can share your personal experience that would be great...

Please let me know and thanks for all the suggestions !!!

Dont know why but I prefer wired Connection over wireless as wireless is slow with limited bandwidth, so BD ISO streaming may be a bit difficult.......if possible try the wired way.......its messy but very reliable.......:cool:)

How is the blu ray rip streaming through USB 2.0? I have popcorn hour A210 and it doesn't have usb 3.0 or gigabit connection. If USB 2.0 then may be i can go with a dedicated HDD...I will try this today...but if you can share your personal experience that would be great...

Please let me know and thanks for all the suggestions !!!

USB 2.0 doesn't have any issues with BD Rip or even full BD ISO playback, you can connect your external Storage to the media player directly and play whatever you want without any issues.

USB 2.0 aint gonna give any problem while streaming BD ISO, however its gonna be a major pain in the neck, while copying DB ISO(s) from drive A to Drive B on USB 2 ..... :D

Last edited:
Yeah true until i get a USB 3.0 laptop/computer this is going to be an major pain !!! currently I'm ripping directly to my NAS through gigabit and then connecting thermaltake HDD dock through esata and copying it to my HDD...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back