Wow just got a 960 GB SSD

Staxxx

...as a gift, as the upgrader had messed up my media server software. Looking forward to installing it. It has both Foobar and JRiver - so that should make an interesting comparison.
It is by Crucial in a 2.5" format. The extra space over and above the OS and programs (jitter reduction, ripper, dbs etc.) is used to store frequently played albums and tracks rather than having to copy them over each time.
Sorry, this post is not so useful for other FMs but rather excited. :)

:clapping::clapping::clapping: congratulations!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

960GB SSD, that's a great one.
I would like to make a point here (purely my opinion) - to make best use of that mammoth SSD use it for VM's, gaming, digital editing/production and not for media.

WooooW !! That is seriously wow!

I fitted an additional 128GB SSD in my Mac Mini and the performance upgrade (start ups and load times) was phenomenal (so much that I would go only for SSD based hard disk always!)

And.. 960 GB of SSD access seems lightening fast for the entire library.

To be honest, I never had any problems with music from my NAS but I wish I had such a SSD for videos as the best of them still struggle a bit.

BTW, can you write a bit more about your Media Server hardware / Software or point me to some write up as I am curious to read about it!

Last edited:
Congrats Staxxx..this is seriously wow !
do keep us posted on the impact after you install

Congrats. Its perfectly fine to be excited. Because (OMG) its 960 GB!
pgxR

How one comes down to earth !!! The box was for a 960 gb drive and the inside was a small used Kingston 64 gb drive !! I am so gutted......anyway, it was too much to expect. Now I just have to hope that the programs they have promised work and are actually on the drive.....bah!
Sorry about this stupid thread. Admin you are welcome to remove. :(

How one comes down to earth !!! The box was for a 960 gb drive and the inside was a small used Kingston 64 gb drive !! I am so gutted......anyway, it was too much to expect. Now I just have to hope that the programs they have promised work and are actually on the drive.....bah!
Sorry about this stupid thread. Admin you are welcome to remove. :(

now thats a cruel joke on you :( . Better Pretend it never happened or at least they promised you a 32GB and you find a 64gb

The mind is a pretty fickle organ and responds well to the theory of "Relativity" !

I guess the worse thing now would be that the admins refuse to remove the thread thus reminding you of the letdown over and over again :)

I bet you'd feel differently if you'd have got it in a 16Gb pen drive box isn't it? Expectations are the culprit here :)

Oh boy.
Too much expectation
Too much excitement
Too much disappointment
But relax, you must be happy that you have not got a brick in hard disk casing (some really did)

I do not know much about computers to comment, however - I personally have SSD's in both my J Play Machines.
The O/S is on that - so is the playback software.
All my music is stored on 2 & 3 TB HDD's
All my music is played off the 'regular' HDD's
But, I have a 'separate' folder on the SSD's that has my 'critical' music & when I have to do any testing / evaluation etc. I use music from there to playback.
I know you guys will not accept this - but to my ears the music played from 'that folder' [this sits on or in the SSD] sounds 'better' !!
I do not think big SSD's are needed.
32GB is more than enough for Win 8 & J River & Foobar & J Play etc.
The Rest of the space can fit 20 to 30 CD's & that in my opinion should cover most of your 'important' & critical listening music...
Besides, keep a 'floating' space - if you so desire & each time an album needs to be heard - copy it to the SSD - on to that floating space & play it off that & when you are done - remove it from there [it will still be there in your standard HDD - so the floating SSD space is only for playback.
Just my 2 cents worth of input...
:indifferent14:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back