XMP Vs Iomega Screenplay director Vs WD TV

rawatrajesh77

I'm planning to buy a HD media player n hv shortlisted these 3

XMP
Iomega screenplay director 1 TB
WDTV

my initial due diligence suggested that all of them can play wide variety of media files, but i'm kind of inclined towards IOmega because they hv improved on the previous edition of ie screenplay plus, & i'm getting it for a really gud price ~ 11000

I would really appreciate if u guys can guide me on following issues

- Price
- Actual performance with various media formats
- connectivity with external drive for XMP & WD TV
- stability of the system
- Service (esp for XMP given that it can only b bought thru internet)

I'm planning to buy a HD media player n hv shortlisted these 3
I would really appreciate if u guys can guide me on following issues

- Price
- Service (esp for XMP given that it can only b bought thru internet)

- Price
XMP - Around 8K and WDTV around 6-7k ( may not be exact )
1. Xtreamer performs really well in this aspect. I have compared both Xtreamer and WDTV and Xtreamer seem to have an edge over WDTV ( have not compared with WDTV LIVE ).
2. The quality of sound is better in Xtreamer compared to WDTV . Xtreamer has more clarity and loudeness.
3. The menu navigation in Xtreamer is simpler almost similar to windows navigation.WDTV has good feel to interface but navingation is not as simple.
4. WDTV doesn't support DVD menu whereas Xtreamer does.
5. WDTV doesn't have network support WDTV live has.
6. File support - Xtreamer supports most of the known file formats. I am not sure if Iomega does.
Xtreamer.Net - Specification

https://iomega-eu-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_eu_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=22159.

7. Xtreamer gives firmware update on regular basis. Not sure about other players.
8. I had read in one of the reviews that IOMEGA doesn't support subtitle.Check this.
9. Xteamer supports user replaceble hard drives. Iomega doesn't I guess.

Both work well in this aspect. I have connected 1 TB without any issues.

This is bit difficult to answer. I have seen issues with both.

One last thing Iomega comes with 1 Tb Hard Disk. So if for some reason if the Hard disk crashes can you continue using the player by connecting external drive ? Check this.

I too was in confusion while chosing media players. This was list of media players that I considered.
1. Asus o Play
2. WDTV
3. WDTV Live
4. Iomega
5. Briteview - Cinematube.
6. Popcorn Hour

Here is the reason why I chose Xtreamer.
1. Asus o Play - File support limited.
2. WDTV - Doesn't have network support for streaming\Internet Radio
3. Iomega - Hard Disk replacement not easy.
4. Pophour - Expensive. Since media players are still evolving. It too early to invest so much. But its myy opinion.

So finally it came down to three media players Briteview,WDTV LIVE and Xtreamer.
Briteview is only available in U.S and still their firwmware is not very stable. But the reviews are good. Customer Support is good. You can check on AVS forum - Briteview. But its the availibilty and service that made me drop it out of the list.

WDTV LIVE - Support for DVD based menu . It can't play dvd image( from .iso files ). But this can change in later firware updates. This was important to me.

Xtreamer - Now the reason why I chose Xtreamer.
1. Support for DVD based menu .
2. Regular Firware updates.
3. Relative low priced compared to WDTV LIVE - Unless you manage to get WDTV LIVE from 20North.
4. Support for Dolby TrueHD \ DTS Master Audio - Although this fromat is not working. I tested few sample files and there is no support. Their website claims to passthrough Dolby TrueHD \ DTS Master Audio its not happening.
So have to wait n see. Expect this it plays every media file you throw at it in a way it meant to be played.

Disclaimer : I am not here to sell Xtreamer or neither do I have any contact with Xtreamer sales team. All these are my opnion\thoughts after spending almost 4 months of my time trying to know media players. Others who own WDTV \WDTV LIVE will have different thoughts.

Last edited:
WDTV LIVE - Support for DVD based menu . It can't play dvd image( from .iso files ).
This question is with me for a long time.
1) What is meant by DVD menu in movies and how to play them in XMP when we connect the Pen Drive ?

2) Also, what is dvd image ?

This question is with me for a long time.
1) What is meant by DVD menu in movies and how to play them in XMP when we connect the Pen Drive ?

2) Also, what is dvd image ?

DVD menu - is the title menu you get if you would have played DVD in a DVD player. So with this you'll be able to choose the required chapters etc.

Image - there are several ways to rip the DVD in hard disk. One of them is taking the image, which will give you .iso file in your HD.

zoey/kannan_r

Need a favour. Trying to see if Xtreamer can easily play videos downloaded from internet.

E.g., HD Trailers at : DivX Plus HD Showcase | DivX.com

Would it be possible for you to download couploe of 1080 or720 p trailers and check if those work on Xtreamer?

I too was in confusion while chosing media players. This was list of media players that I considered.
1. Asus o Play
2. WDTV
3. WDTV Live
4. Iomega
5. Briteview - Cinematube.
6. Popcorn Hour

Here is the reason why I chose Xtreamer.
1. Asus o Play - File support limited.
2. WDTV - Doesn't have network support for streaming\Internet Radio
3. Iomega - Hard Disk replacement not easy.
4. Pophour - Expensive. Since media players are still evolving. It too early to invest so much. But its myy opinion.

So finally it came down to three media players Briteview,WDTV LIVE and Xtreamer.
Briteview is only available in U.S and still their firwmware is not very stable. But the reviews are good. Customer Support is good. You can check on AVS forum - Briteview. But its the availibilty and service that made me drop it out of the list.

WDTV LIVE - Support for DVD based menu . It can't play dvd image( from .iso files ). But this can change in later firware updates. This was important to me.

Xtreamer - Now the reason why I chose Xtreamer.
1. Support for DVD based menu .
2. Regular Firware updates.
3. Relative low priced compared to WDTV LIVE - Unless you manage to get WDTV LIVE from 20North.
4. Support for Dolby TrueHD \ DTS Master Audio - Although this fromat is not working. I tested few sample files and there is no support. Their website claims to passthrough Dolby TrueHD \ DTS Master Audio its not happening.
So have to wait n see. Expect this it plays every media file you throw at it in a way it meant to be played.

Disclaimer : I am not here to sell Xtreamer or neither do I have any contact with Xtreamer sales team. All these are my opnion\thoughts after spending almost 4 months of my time trying to know media players. Others who own WDTV \WDTV LIVE will have different thoughts.

Hi Zoey,

Thanks a lot for giving such an elaborate explanation. Few Qs regarding Xtreamer wrt to ur pt no. 4 for xtreamer.
"Support for Dolby TrueHD \ DTS Master Audio - Although this fromat is not working. I tested few sample files and there is no support. Their website claims to passthrough Dolby TrueHD \ DTS Master Audio its not happening."

- does that mean the audio of any Dolby TrueHD \ DTS Master movie won't play (sorry if i sound novice), or any other problem due to this shortcoming.

- Also can this problem b fixed with FW updates

Thanks in advance

On their website they calim there is support of HD Audio pass-through for DTS HD-HR, DTS HD-MA, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby
TrueHD. Below is the link

Xtreamer.Net - Features

But when I tested few Dolby TrueHD files the audio passthrough is not happening i.e. you won't get 7.1 audio even if the sample file has 7.1 audio. Instead it is converted ( downmixing ) to 5.1 or 2.1. I tried different settings but none of them are working... So it plays these files (DTS HD-HR, DTS HD-MA, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD ) but audio is limited to 2.1 or 5.1 ... I mean passthrough is not happening.

If this can change only through a firmware update ...then in future updates it should happen. But if it is the limitation of the chip used in Xtreamer then I don't think this support is possible. This is what is the verdict in some forums.

That's right Zoey i don't feel it is possible on the current chipset and they are avoiding discussion on the same also as per firmware road map it should have happened long time ago. But still Xtreamer is a pretty good and reliable product.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back