Xtreamer vs WD Live

Aneelr, I tried searching in video settings, i couldnt find anything related to resolution. Any ways I will check it once again. The version is 1.0.1.0 (not sure exactly), is this menu option came in any patch update?

Aneelr, I tried searching in video settings, i couldnt find anything related to resolution. Any ways I will check it once again. The version is 1.0.1.0 (not sure exactly), is this menu option came in any patch update?

Hi,

That's for the old version, sorry. Go ot settings->audio/video and set video output to HDMI (you are using HDMI only right to connect???). This should give you 1080p setting. May be this should help.

cheers.

If we start to get WDTV Live at this price in India, I guess Xtreamer will be beaten, unless adding an internal HDD is a mandatory option for a user. The Xtreamer still dosent support HD audio, WD atleast supports DD-True-HD as of now. And network wise I guess both are giving problems in streaming files with larger size.

cheers.

Last edited:
Hi,

At last resolved the optical cable problem and watched the BBC-Earth and Tamil movie Billa yesterday. Both has DTS sound. The PQ and SQ of both were fantastic.I think watching SD will be a little let down after watching even the 720p movis on my Panny. We felt the DTS SQ is better than the DVDs played thro my Oppo.The voice thro the center channel was crystal clear. I am really happy that i got this little player(WD TV Live).Have to connect it to the Srereo amp to check the flac files.

cheers,
sri

Hi,

At last resolved the optical cable problem and watched the BBC-Earth and Tamil movie Billa yesterday. Both has DTS sound. The PQ and SQ of both were fantastic.I think watching SD will be a little let down after watching even the 720p movis on my Panny. We felt the DTS SQ is better than the DVDs played thro my Oppo.The voice thro the center channel was crystal clear. I am really happy that i got this little player(WD TV Live).Have to connect it to the Srereo amp to check the flac files.

cheers,
sri

:clapping::clapping::clapping:
CONGRATS on your new WDTV Live!!!! ENJOY!!! A friend of mine also ordered the same from 20north just now for 5.9K.

cheers

Hi,

That's for the old version, sorry. Go ot settings->audio/video and set video output to HDMI (you are using HDMI only right to connect???). This should give you 1080p setting. May be this should help.

cheers.

I am using HDMI cable? Is it something related to firmware version?

I am using HDMI cable? Is it something related to firmware version?

It's not a firmware problem I guess, even the oldest firmware should support HD res output, otherwise they cannot sell it as a HD media player. AFAIK this is just a plug and play device, and if your video O/P is set to HDMI you should be getting a 1080p O/P. Just try will all posible options, if not successfull, I can come down and help you out.

cheers.

Hey Guys.....is WD Tv Live available in Bangalore? I saw a listing in 20north at 6K plus delivery for it and around 10.5K at ebay.

Temme what should be the price to go for.

thanks
Amit

It's not a firmware problem I guess, even the oldest firmware should support HD res output, otherwise they cannot sell it as a HD media player. AFAIK this is just a plug and play device, and if your video O/P is set to HDMI you should be getting a 1080p O/P. Just try will all posible options, if not successfull, I can come down and help you out.

cheers.

Thankyou aneelr. I checked the pdf user manual. It seems that this option comes up when we manually select the HDMI as the output. As per some forum it seems to be 720p by default. In my case HDMI was automatically detected and probably thats the reason i couldnt find. Anyways its a hidden menu option. I will try tonight.

20North seems to be selling it for 6586/- and if you get the 5% discount it will be almost the same price as the US price.

Last edited:
Hi cmsajith,

Did you compare your philips dvdp with the WDLive in SQ (both connected to Caiman)?
Did you find any improvement with the WDLive when listening to music.

Currently I am using a sony DVDP + Caiman for music.
I would like to know if WDLive makes any diff in sound quality.

Regards,
Murthy

Hi,

I plan to use Xtreamer to stream FLAC / other lossless formats to my Onkyo reciever. I believe that DAC will then happen on the reciever. How is the audio quality for playing just music via these media players ? I have a cheap philips dvd player which I also use as a CD player. Will the SQ be atleast that good ?

- Amit

Is WD TV live supports DYS HD-MA? What about Xtreamer cause I think initially it was not supporting...

When you are using a Standalone Bluray Player/Drive you would generally use a original BD/DVD disc's as opposed to a HD Media Player where you would generally be using ripped versions from the original BD/DVD. And the PQ/SQ of an original BD/DVD will be definitely better than the ripped ones. So I think this comparison is not a fair one IMO.

Even if you want to play ripped versions on the stand alone BD/DVD players, you will have very limited options in terms of choosing a player. Cause factors like NTFS support, no. of file format support etc. etc ... will not be consistent.

There is one gadget in the market called DUNE BD prime 3.0. This is a HD media player with built in Bluray player. This company previously had a separate HD media player and a separate BDp which is now clubbed together.

Dune BD Prime 3.0 HDI Dune

But a HD media player like Xtreamer/WDTV/Playon/TvIX etc etc...... are definitely good in terms of PQ/SQ. Just yesterday I played Black Hawk Down 1080p rip/DTS 5.1 through my Playon->Denon AVR->LED TV at 75% vol. and trust me, the was earthquake of value 1 in my House.:eek:hyeah:(ok, that's too exaggerated, but the entire building did shiver, and I do not have a dedicated HT room, so that may also add to the effect.) But overall these media players are good in terms of PQ/SQ.

cheers.

how much does the wdtv or the XT cost?

Forgot to post. I had modded my WD Live with BRad's custom firmware with moviesheet support. With movie sheets the thumbnail view looks awsome. Will post the pics later and also needs to do some fine tuning and experiments.
A sample pic will be like:

Attachments

• 2rfwzkm.jpg
    2rfwzkm.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 144
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back