Xtreamer vs WD Live

How have you guys connected your hard disks to the devices. By USB? And how about wireless streaming. I heard there were some problems with that?

What's a good workflow for this with minimum movement of devices and minimum effort? I ask this because my primary interest is following some TV series which are not shown in India, which I download to my disk and watch regularly. Repeated connects/disconnects will not do it for me..

I think I'll go for WD TV Live, primarily because I really like the GUI over Xtreamer... Its similar to Windows Media Centre.

You may find WDTV at computer shops..
Here in hyd there are few shops (CTC) which sell WDTV but the price is higher than online offer..
you may find it at Nehru place in Delhi..

Not sure about xtreamer.. never seen it in any shop..

You may find WDTV at computer shops..
Here in hyd there are few shops (CTC) which sell WDTV but the price is higher than online offer..
you may find it at Nehru place in Delhi..

Not sure about xtreamer.. never seen it in any shop..

thanks mate

i m planing to go to Nehru place on Saturday hope will come with my HD player

external HDD is required in both. WD live connects with external HDD thorugh USB 2.0 while xtreamer connects though SATA (i mean it connets similar to as in desktop). this is the major difference. you will have streaming issues in WD live.
wait for USB 3.0. we will not need any media player once LCD TVs are equipped with USB 3.0.

external HDD is required in both. WD live connects with external HDD thorugh USB 2.0 while xtreamer connects though SATA (i mean it connets similar to as in desktop). this is the major difference. you will have streaming issues in WD live.
wait for USB 3.0. we will not need any media player once LCD TVs are equipped with USB 3.0.

USB 3.0 has nothing to do with this.. USB 2.0 gives speeds over 30MB/s which is much higher than any HD video.

These devices are about decoding lots of formats including HD files. Your LCD TV will never do that.

today i purchased WD TV(not live) from Nehru Place for Rs. 6300 with bill, also bought an HDMI cable but cable is faulty as my TV doesnot recognised WD TV with HDMI but did so with component cable, so ll try to get a HDMI cable tomorow (dont know from where) but if you guys no any place near Dawarka please let me know.

Thanks

I would recommend the XStreamer given the level of functionality you get.

I have owned the WDTV (literally from the day it came out) and I loved it but when I decided to get the Popcorn Hour C-200 I was blown away...That thing can handle anything and everything i throw at it.

Both the WDTV and PCH C-200 use the Sigma chipset and I am told the Realtek chipset is even better. From the specs the XStreamer uses the Realtek chipset so you cannot go wrong.

Don't know what the availability is like in India...here in the US its quite easy to get stuff shipped from anywhere...Are there actual dealers who sell XStreamer or WDTV over there?

Rajiv

I would recommend the XStreamer given the level of functionality you get.

I have owned the WDTV (literally from the day it came out) and I loved it but when I decided to get the Popcorn Hour C-200 I was blown away...That thing can handle anything and everything i throw at it.

Both the WDTV and PCH C-200 use the Sigma chipset and I am told the Realtek chipset is even better. From the specs the XStreamer uses the Realtek chipset so you cannot go wrong.

Don't know what the availability is like in India...here in the US its quite easy to get stuff shipped from anywhere...Are there actual dealers who sell XStreamer or WDTV over there?

Rajiv

A popular complaint on xtreamer forums is that xvid/avi of SD quality looks much worse than a computer decoded version. It is said that pic quality is blocky. Personally that's a deal breaker for me. I prefer connecting my laptop to the HT over hdmi. It can do everything, but is inconvenient.

A popular complaint on xtreamer forums is that xvid/avi of SD quality looks much worse than a computer decoded version. It is said that pic quality is blocky. Personally that's a deal breaker for me. I prefer connecting my laptop to the HT over hdmi. It can do everything, but is inconvenient.

This has perhaps to do with the noise reduction being used on SD content. In fact, the AC Ryan player POHD used to have an option to disable the noise reduction but that option was taken away in later firmware releases. Time for a petition perhaps to Xtreamer folks!

i got the HDMI cable from croma janak puri today and for the first time played an HD content on my plasma TV and the PQ was great, played Open Season and Balck hawk down 1080p rips and really enjoyed every moment of the playback.

but know i m having a problem, my HT does not have any digital input and only have 5 and 2 stereo input so i m not getting 5.1 sound so is there any cable by which i can convert digital to analouge and get full 5.1 sound.

i got the HDMI cable from croma janak puri today and for the first time played an HD content on my plasma TV and the PQ was great, played Open Season and Balck hawk down 1080p rips and really enjoyed every moment of the playback.

but know i m having a problem, my HT does not have any digital input and only have 5 and 2 stereo input so i m not getting 5.1 sound so is there any cable by which i can convert digital to analouge and get full 5.1 sound.

Anil,

Your HT receiver can't do it..
Also It is very hard to find a digital to multichannel analog decoder box..
If you find one..It may cost you a lot..

It is better you change your HT receiver.. replace it with something that has digital input (optical or coaxial)..

you will require an optical (toslink) cable or digital coaxial cable depending on the type of digital port on your HT receiver..

BTW excellent door to door service by WD. I had a problem with a unit that I picked from US and the folks at WD Service Center replaced it without a hassle and what was outstanding was the door to door pickup of defective unit and delivery of replacement unit at no cost.

Anil,

Your HT receiver can't do it..
Also It is very hard to find a digital to multichannel analog decoder box..
If you find one..It may cost you a lot..

It is better you change your HT receiver.. replace it with something that has digital input (optical or coaxial)..

you will require an optical (toslink) cable or digital coaxial cable depending on the type of digital port on your HT receiver..

Thanks Alok, i m think of doing that may be i ll buy Onkyo S-3300

Just an FYI...

Bought a WD TV Live player in Kolkata @ 7600 + 4% VAT. Her are the contacts details if any one's interested - call Mr. Raja Karmakar of Neoteric(the importers and distributors) 9748098426. He would guide to a retailers, since they cannot directly sell to consumers - I went to Vendant Computer Sales(in Chandni) and after 15-20 mins of wait they gave you the player along with the bill.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back