Yamaha RX-V373

dyna

I recently bought a Yamaha RX-V373 during a short business trip to USA. Just a brief review for the interested people.

These were my requirements at the time of selection:
Price range - around $200. I bought this for $210
Weight - lesser the better (since I have to carry from USA). This one is 7.5 kg
4HDMI inputs - For tatasky+, xbox, wdtvlive, BD/dvd player.

My preferable list (not mandatory)
Operating in 220/110v. This one does not support. I am using a voltage convertor.
I wanted to use my existing speakers for sometime before I budget for better speakers. This supports both 6/8 ohms speakers.
USB/IPOD support. This one supports without any additional accessory dock.
Audio return channel. This one supports. but I have disabled it.

Now on to the review:
Looks : Not of much importance to me. But this has a decent good. It does not look very sturdy on a closer look. But I cant complain because I wanted a light weight one.

Setup : Setup was a breeze. Enabled vierra control in TV. Changed the speaker impedance to 6 ohms. Connected 5 speakers (no sub woofer), YPAO MIC and HDMI out to TV. Powered through 110/220v convertor and powered on. It detected the YPAO mic and I did a setup. After a brief sound session, speaker configuration is complete !
Switched off. Disconnected YPAO, connected tatasky+ and switched on. Display came up. But no sound. Later I found that with HDMI control on the system is behaving in a weird way. Based on which is switched on first (TV or receiver), sound will either come in TV or receiver. Disabled HDMI control in both TV and Receiver and everything is fine.

Sound:
Configured speaker settings such that bass comes out through front speakers (since I dont have a sub woofer). Tried Star movies HD and sound was decent for this configuration. I dint expect high bass anyways. changed to SD channel and tried different Dolby and neo to change 2 channel to 5. Neo-Music mode seemed to be suite my taste.
Overall, sound was decent considering the entry level speakers I had.

Other features about the receiver:
HD Audio decoding available.
4K pass-through. Dont need now. Just in case for later use :)
Front panel ipod dock is very convenient and works like a charm. No accessory needed.
YPAO automatic speaker setup seems to be quite effective. I am not an audiophile.
ECO operation consumes 20% less power. Not sure of its effect in audio.
Dynamic Range Control is wonderful for TV. Whispers are loud enough and no sudden increase in sound for advertisements.

Negative:
Would have preferred ability to use HDMI passthrough when the receiver is off.
HDMI-CEC creates issues. It could also be due to my TV. Disabled CEC for now.

Dint test:
With subwoofer.
HDMI - 3D
Radio.

When compared to previous model RX-V371, these are the new features in RX-V373:
ipod dock, YPAO, ECO support, onscreen display, 4K display.

I think RX-V373 is not yet available in indian market. If it is available, then it is a good upgrade over RX-V371.

Let me know if anybody wants to know anything in particular about the receiver.

is there any difference with Yamaha RX-v473. How about the cost of Yamaha RX-V373 in india if at all available here.

I recently bought a Yamaha RX-V373 during a short business trip to USA.

Price range - around $200. I bought this for $210
Weight - lesser the better (since I have to carry from USA). This one is 7.5 kg
4HDMI inputs - For tatasky+, xbox, wdtvlive, BD/dvd player.

When compared to previous model RX-V371, these are the new features in RX-V373:
ipod dock, YPAO, ECO support, onscreen display, 4K display.

Hey DYNA,

Nice of you to detail us about your personal experience .. I will surely use your thread, as one of the references whenever needed..

Thanks
& Congrats on the purchase:clapping: :eek:hyeah:

Never knew AV receivers are available at $210. How is the SQ?

Sound is not earth shattering. But I would say it is on par with other yamaha systems (like v371, v571).
Basic AV receivers start from around $150 price range.

is there any difference with Yamaha RX-v473. How about the cost of Yamaha RX-V373 in india if at all available here.
v473 has airplay and other networking features (DLNA). But, no networking support in 373.

v373 is supposed to replace v371 series. So when it is available in india, the price will be similar to v371.

Thanks, rud3dawg

I was at HTStore last week and I was told that launch/availability of Vx73 series will be confirmed by fiirst week of August. I got a impression that the new 73 series will be priced slightly higher than the outgoing 71 series. We have to wait and watch :)

Hi guys

RX V373 is available @ Rs 26k.
i am lookin to buy a new HTIB i have almost selected the yamaha system with the above receiver and the NS P40 speakers. the entire package is costing me 34k
i was also lookin at onkyo 3500 which much cheaper @ 28k and sounded v good.

please suggest which one shud i go for .
my usage will be majority on movies and rest on music

Hi dyna,i also purchaseed a Yamaha RX-V373 from USA.But where to find the voltage conveter?If u can send it i'll transfer the money to ur account.plz reply.

bibhu, I am using a convertor bought locally in bangalore. It costed me around Rs.1500. I heard that you could get it for Rs.1200, if you bargain harder. You could try in your local electrical/electronic store for the convertor. Ask for one that supports atleast 500Watts.

bibhu, I am using a convertor bought locally in bangalore. It costed me around Rs.1500. I heard that you could get it for Rs.1200, if you bargain harder. You could try in your local electrical/electronic store for the convertor. Ask for one that supports atleast 500Watts.

Thanks for reply.i found a voltage conveter in local shop.But it didn't convert the frquency from 50hz to 60hz.What abt urs?

Mine also doesnt convert frequency. But I did not find any issues with that. I have been using this for more than 3 months now.

Hello Dyna, bibhu.cet,

I am also in US and thinking to purchase Yamaha RX 373
Please share your experience so far with this AVR and advice if you think I should stay away/buy this. I am looking for a basic home theater set up for my pana 42ST30.

The other devices that would be connected to this AVR would be a PS3 and a dvd player

ravikumar, I am happy with this for 6 months now. RX-373 a great piece for this price.

If you want a networked player, you can consider RX-473 (or a cheaper Onkyo TX-NR509)

@Dyna,
Thanks for the reply. I am currently looking at a decent setup so that I do not spend too much money onto it. Would it be better buying speakers from India? just wondering if there will be any issues at customs

Wish I could get a networked AVR. It would be nice to avoid running the wires all over the place. I might consider that upgrade after few years of time :)

Me too an owner of v373.

Till now, i have been using old Sony speakers but now with the AVR but now plan to have a pair of BS and center piece.

Also, i do not plan to add rear speaker is future as that would require lots of wiring to be done and it won't be possible for some time. So, all i can get is 2 BS and one CS for all my audio needs which is around 50/50 movies and music.

Movies are mostly english, action and sci-fi and music is typical Indian music from Jagjeet to Himesh ;-).

I plan to buy BS first and then add the CS later on in few months time.

My budget for BS is anything less than 18K.

So, far from research i have found following BS in my price range:

1. Whaferdale 9.1 and 10.1 - 6ohm
2. Tannoy Mercury V1 - 8ohm
3. Yamaha NS-333 - 6ohm

Indian version of v373 is rated at 6ohm impedance so i think it would be best to get a 6ohm rated speaker or i can get a 8 ohm one too without any trouble ?

Please advice which one from above or any other model can be best buy considering my use and i won't change them in coming 5-6 years and would only add a CS in mean time.

Also, there is onr restriction, i cannot place the BS too far from the rear wall, max 6-8 inches.

Me too an owner of v373.

Till now, i have been using old Sony speakers but now with the AVR but now plan to have a pair of BS and center piece.

Also, i do not plan to add rear speaker is future as that would require lots of wiring to be done and it won't be possible for some time. So, all i can get is 2 BS and one CS for all my audio needs which is around 50/50 movies and music.

Movies are mostly english, action and sci-fi and music is typical Indian music from Jagjeet to Himesh ;-).

I plan to buy BS first and then add the CS later on in few months time.

My budget for BS is anything less than 18K.

So, far from research i have found following BS in my price range:

1. Whaferdale 9.1 and 10.1 - 6ohm
2. Tannoy Mercury V1 - 8ohm
3. Yamaha NS-333 - 6ohm

Indian version of v373 is rated at 6ohm impedance so i think it would be best to get a 6ohm rated speaker or i can get a 8 ohm one too without any trouble ?

Please advice which one from above or any other model can be best buy considering my use and i won't change them in coming 5-6 years and would only add a CS in mean time.

Also, there is onr restriction, i cannot place the BS too far from the rear wall, max 6-8 inches.

Consider Boston Acoustics A 26, What Hi-Fi has very good review

@Dyna,
Thanks for the reply. I am currently looking at a decent setup so that I do not spend too much money onto it. Would it be better buying speakers from India? just wondering if there will be any issues at customs

Wish I could get a networked AVR. It would be nice to avoid running the wires all over the place. I might consider that upgrade after few years of time :)

You may not get issues with customs. But good speakers are a bit bulky. You can as well buy in India. If you do not want to spend lot of money immediately, you can get just two big speakers initially. Later you can add surround and sub woofer.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back